Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If the Arenas incident was obviously about the NBA, shouldn't the incidents above obviously be a relflection of the quality of individuals in the NFL?

Well there is the percentages of incidents issue that makes the NBA look worse by comparison.

By the same token, I don't hold a lot of the NFL in particularly high regard either, so none of that is particularly surprising either.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #52
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It would kind of like hockey fans who complain that the people make their judgments about the entire NHL today based on the Marty McSorley incident.

Some events are perceived as out of character for their league and some events are perceived as being in character for their league. McSorley's incident was out of character for anybody.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
I wouldn't disagree but the league is marketed that way for some reason. Maybe the problem is how few NBA players there are compared to other sports so the bad apples stick out worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Thats a good point to and you only hear about the good stuff when it is a slow day for bad stuff.

I've heard many argue, and I think it's possible they're on to something, that much of why the NBA has the "Thug" image is because they don't have pads, helmets, hats, long pants, etc to cover up the tattoos, facial hair, mean scowls, etc that the other sports do.

In the NBA you "see" the players more than any of the other major sports - and many people don't like what they "see".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #54
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yes there is the helmet thing. There is also the coach strangulation and fan pummeling thing. Guess you can add the pull gun on teammate in locker room thing to the list now.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-02-2010 at 07:45 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #55
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Whether or not this is true or not. It doesnt help with the public imagine of the NBA. Gambling and guns. Throw in a an once of weed and them two hit the trifecta.

I'm not a huge fan of the "hands on" approach but the commish has to figure out a way to clean up the league. For every Tim Ducan and Lebron James there are too many Gilbert Arenas and Stephen Jackson types that bring down what the good guys are doing.

On the other hand like Kali pointed out even in golf and Nascar these days we have some type of scandals.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #56
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

WWPBD?

What Would Plaxico Burress Do?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
All I could hear when I read this is Arenas "This lockerroom ain't big enough for the both of us"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #58
Radii
Head Coach

From Shelden Williams Twitter page(btw, this site is awesome http://www.twitter-athletes.com):

SheldenWilliams I understand javaris situation I mean gilbert owed him 150 thousand dollars that affects his life way more than gilberts
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

150k?? damn!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #60
Radii
Head Coach

yeah heh I mean Shelden Williams isn't necessarily a reliable source but I still find the gambling aspect of this more interesting than the fact that two NBA players have guns and are capable of doing some incredibly stupid things.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh. Hopefully Shelden cleared that one with the wife first. As Mr Candace Parker he should keep himself out of stuff.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #62
JediKooter
Coordinator

I wonder if they will claim the Pete Rose defense on the gambling...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #63
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
yeah heh I mean Shelden Williams isn't necessarily a reliable source but I still find the gambling aspect of this more interesting than the fact that two NBA players have guns and are capable of doing some incredibly stupid things.
Depends on the type of gambling. If it's on games, then it's a big issue. But I already assume that most athletes gamble on cards or other things. It's just what happens when young, wealthy men with a lot of downtime do.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #64
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Depends on the type of gambling. If it's on games, then it's a big issue. But I already assume that most athletes gamble on cards or other things. It's just what happens when young, wealthy men with a lot of downtime do.

If someone makes a bet and doesn't pay up I really don't care what the bet was on. I'm not talking about the NBA or any sort of policy on gambling, I'm talking about the fact that if Gilbert Arenas is trying to get out of paying up some sort of prop bet with Javaris Crittendon then he is pretty much fucking scum and may not deserve to be shot but a good beating is in order.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If someone makes a bet and doesn't pay up I really don't care what the bet was on. I'm not talking about the NBA or any sort of policy on gambling, I'm talking about the fact that if Gilbert Arenas is trying to get out of paying up some sort of prop bet with Javaris Crittendon then he is pretty much fucking scum and may not deserve to be shot but a good beating is in order.

especially for that amount of money
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It would be hilarious if this was a fantasy football payout dispute based on the Kurt Warner scoring change
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #67
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There is a good lesson for children here.

Don't gamble with crazy people.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It would be hilarious if this was a fantasy football payout dispute based on the Kurt Warner scoring change

Gold

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #69
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't have a link handy. Basically gilbert supposedly bailed on a card game that he didn't like the rules of. Jarvis got stuck paying a big pot. Arenas alledgedly taunted that he was going to set the guys car on fire. Jarvis threatened to shoot him in the bad knee. Apparently after a practice Arenas set out 4 guns by the dudes locker with a sign that said. "pick one". And tempers flared.

I will find a link later. Sounds like it was relatively no big deal.

Last edited by stevew : 01-03-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: cleaned up some
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #70
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't have a link handy. Basically gilbert supposedly bailed on a card game that he didn't like the rules of. Jarvis got stuck paying a big pot. Arenas alledgedly tainted that he was going to set the guys car on fire. Jarvis threatened to shoot him in the bad knee. Apparently after a practice seerbas set out 4 guns by the dudes locker with a sign that said. "pick one". And tempers flared.

I will find a link later. Sounds like it was relatively no big deal.

Hmm, okay, what little I can understand of this, sounds like a pretty big damn deal to me.

I'm sifting through what you have here, stevew, so correct me if I have it wrong.

1. Agent Zero is about to lose a game because of a rule he doesn't like, so he jumps.
2. JCritt is left holding the bag and has to pay the pot.
3. I'm a little fuzzy what you're saying here--Arenas threatened to set who's car on fire? Crittenton's? Or the guy who won? If it was JCritt's, was it because Crittenton was demanding he pay? Or, later on, is JCritt mad because Arenas said the car thing and the guy who won is a friend of Crittenton's?
4. Jarvis threatened to shoot him in the bad knee. Okay easy enough to understand, although if I were him and had that mindset, I would have threatened to shoot him in the good knee.
5. Who the hell is seerbas?
6. Assuming seerbas is connected to either JCritt or Arenas, which is it?

Regardless, guns being set out after a gun threat is made, along with a message that says "pick one" is about as fucked up as it gets. No idea how that's not a big deal.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

I always thought Arenas was one of the "good guys" in the NBA, but I may have been completely off base. In any case, he makes almost 50x the amount of money Crittendon does over the length of their comparitive contracts. If any of this is true he's pretty clearly in the giant D-bag category now.

Assuming everything does go down as above and the NBA can prove it, what are the suspensions? 2 players pulling weapons on each other on NBA property in DC with the crazy gun laws, on top of the 150k gambling debts being run up has to be pretty unprecidented, no?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #72
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, okay, what little I can understand of this, sounds like a pretty big damn deal to me.
To us and any other professional sports league it is a big deal. This is the NBA where this shit is cool.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

hxxp://www.mikejonessports.com/2010/01/startling-picture-starting-to-become.html

From that blog....

Quote:
As more newshound reporters dig in following the Yahoo! Sports and New York Post pistol-packing-point-guard stories which broke yesterday morning, the circumstances surrounding Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton and their spat are starting to become more clear.

ESPN's Marc Stein reported this morning that Arenas laid three guns on a chair next to Javaris Crittenton's locker and told him to pick one, and that this was the continuation from their dispute surrounding a card game they engaged in during the Dec. 20th flight back from Phoenix. The Washington Post's Michael Lee wrote today that sources that spoke to Arenas about the incident said it was "horse play." And NBA.com's David Aldridge broke down the serious consequences Arenas could face over this matter.

I've spoken with a few sources close to the situation -- including one individual that was in the locker room at the time and Arenas, as he tweeted yesterday had no malicious intent. And like Lee said, horse play was involved. That doesn't make this any less serious, however. If your franchise player is horsing around with guns on team property, no matter how good a mood he is in, it's still in violation of league policy and D.C. gun possession laws.

From what I've gathered, Arenas, Crittenton and some teammates were indeed playing a card game on the flight back from Phoenix, and both Crittenton and Arenas were coming up on the losing end, but Arenas didn't owe $25,000, and the amount wasn't owed to Crittenton, but to JaVale McGee. Arenas bailed on the game unhappy with the rules, and Crittenton was left to pay the pot, much to his displeasure, so he was trying earnestly to get Arenas to pay his part. Tempers flared during this dispute and I'm told Crittenton wanted to fight Arenas for backing out of paying up. Arenas, meanwhile, said he would burn Crittenton's car, and Crittenton said he would shoot Arenas in his bad left knee.

That brings us to practice on Dec. 21 when Arenas placed four guns -- the ones he had brought into the locker room to store in his locked box, according to him to keep from his children-- on the chair of Crittenton with a note 'pick one' on top. Crittenton came into the locker room where Arenas was waiting and ready for a good laugh, but Crittenton wasn't as amused as Arenas continued joking around. A source says teammates told Crittenton not to take the taunts from Arenas so seriously, but the younger guard didn't appreciate being made fun of and chucked one of Arenas' guns across the locker room and said "I have a gun of my own." The situation was soon diffused I'm told Ernie Grunfeld learned of the spat and first heard Arenas pulled a gun in the locker room and then reported him to the league office. At that time, I'm told Grunfeld began considering either voiding Arenas' contract or trading him. Upon further investigation, Grunfeld learned more of the facts and has cooled slightly and is in a wait and see mode. The NBA is watching and waiting as well, allowing the D.C. police and U.S. Attorney's office to proceed with their investigation before David Stern hands out any suspension and fines.

A source who has spoken to Arenas, who yesterday continually downplayed the seriousness of the incident, said if the authorities buy his story of joking around and unloaded guns, and him being unaware of the D.C. gun laws, they could simply hand out a fine and community service. But, if they don't and he receives a felony charge, the maximum punishment is a five-year prison term and/or a $5,000 fine.

If that happened, the Wizards would execute the "morality clause" in Arenas' contract -- every player's contract has this -- and they would get the remaining three years, $67.7 million owed to him off their books.

Even if this hadn't happened, the Wizards were considering making a move, and I'm told they would like to do so within the next 14 days. One of the scenarios mentioned has been Arenas and Mike James to Houston, but I'm told by a source "that deal is unrealistic." A source close to Arenas said he has no desire to leave the Wizards, but his bosses could be growing tired of his antics, and teammates, I'm hearing, are beyond over having to explain for him and would like more maturity in the locker room. It could be a challenge to find a team willing to take on not only that contract, but also Arenas' strong personality and off-court baggage he has right now.

The Wizards might not have a hard time dealing Caron Butler in a package deal with James, however, but not to Houston. I'm hearing Butler and James could be headed to either Miami or Chicago. Some of the pieces Washington could be trying to get back from Chicago, the source said, could be Kirk Hinrich and Jerome James. Before, the Wizards hadn't wanted to take on more money, but it appears that as they grow more desperate to turn things around, their main motivation is bringing in new life to kick-start a rebound.

Despite all the distractions, I'm told Arenas will play tonight. Flip Saunders had said yesterday that the guard might not play because of soreness in his left knee, but the knee isn't that bad today. It will be interesting to see how well the Wizards do against the Spurs with all this going on, and I'm sure it will be a circus at Verizon Center tonight.

Last edited by stevew : 01-03-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #74
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
To us and any other professional sports league it is a big deal. This is the NBA where this shit is cool.
I thought this part of the conversation was over with.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-03-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I'm sifting through what you have here, stevew, so correct me if I have it wrong.

1. Agent Zero is about to lose a game because of a rule he doesn't like, so he jumps.-yes
2. JCritt is left holding the bag and has to pay the pot.-yes
3. I'm a little fuzzy what you're saying here--Arenas threatened to set who's car on fire? Crittenton's? Or the guy who won? If it was JCritt's, was it because Crittenton was demanding he pay? Or, later on, is JCritt mad because Arenas said the car thing and the guy who won is a friend of Crittenton's?-Crittenton's car, cause he wanted to fight Arenas over the thing
4. Jarvis threatened to shoot him in the bad knee. Okay easy enough to understand, although if I were him and had that mindset, I would have threatened to shoot him in the good knee.-yes
5. Who the hell is seerbas?-Arenas, it was a blackberry typo
6. Assuming seerbas is connected to either JCritt or Arenas, which is it?-It's Arenas
Regardless, guns being set out after a gun threat is made, along with a message that says "pick one" is about as fucked up as it gets. No idea how that's not a big deal.-Arenas thought he was being funny and joking, but apparently Jarvis has a very short temper. And wasn't wanting to take shit from Gilbert anymore.

Ok?

Last edited by stevew : 01-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #76
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

SEERBAS!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And "not a big deal" meaning it was merely horseplay involving probably unloaded weapons, instead of a full on loaded guns pointed at each other showdown.

Probably a bad choice of words, on my part. Obviously it's serious, as you should never joke around with guns. But it wasn't an alledgedly full on John Woo showdown like it was initially described.

Last edited by stevew : 01-03-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #78
Logan
Head Coach

There is absolutely no way Grunfeld is only in a "wait and see mode." If he has any chance to void that contract, he'll do it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok?

Yup, thanks. Sorry if I came off wrong, but, honestly, I couldn't make heads or tails of it how you wrote it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #80
RainMaker
General Manager

I still find the amusing part not the reported conflict but the fact that Arenas had 4 guns readily available to him at the Verizon Center.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #81
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yup, I'm sure the Wizards would absolutely love to void Arena's contract if they could, no question about that at all IMO.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #82
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Arenas is charged with felony gun possession.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #83
RainMaker
General Manager

They'll make an example out of him. Guy is a moron. Wizards owner is throwing a huge party.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #84
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
They'll make an example out of him. Guy is a moron. Wizards owner is throwing a huge party.

I believe their owner died, but I am not sure if a new owner is in place. Still, whoever takes over has a golden ticket as I am sure they can invoke the poison pill in his contract and void it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #85
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

Actually local media reports indicate he'll likely be able to cop a plea bargain with no jail time.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #86
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Actually local media reports indicate he'll likely be able to cop a plea bargain with no jail time.
Jail isn't what I'd be worried about for him, it's losing that contract. Lot of money that he'll never see from another NBA team.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #87
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I believe their owner died

Priceless, considering the OG source of the comment.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #88
miami_fan
Coordinator

Gilbert Arenas of Washington Wizards sentenced to 1 month in halfway house - ESPN

So Gilbert stays out of jail.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote