Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Going back to the UK!

After a two year hiatus, I've been offered a spot back at the Summer School I was working in for 3 years in England. The catch, since I'm replacing someone who dropped out late there is no housing for families. I'll be going by myself. As much as I hate leaving the family for 2 months, my wife and I agreed that it's a great opportunity in the long run (school has a great summer curriculum for older students, tons of activities for younger...and it's England in the summer and not the horrid heat of Indiana)

I do have a completely random question. Since it's just me for 2 months, and outlook is great for doing this from this point on every summer, I'm looking to pick up a console to have while I'm there. It'll keep me from going out a lot (which will save money to bring home) and I have an aunt there that could keep/use it while I'm gone.

Any UK people have some suggestions on the best console for that market? I spent today trying to find sale numbers, but couldn't find much recent stuff.

Other than that, we have to move our Disney vacation we had set up because I refuse to miss my son & daughter's first trip to there. This means I'll work in England for 2 months, fly home, the next day go to Florida, be there a week, fly home, and start my new school year the next day.

I'll probably be dead, but at least it won't be a boring summer.

ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Any UK people have some suggestions on the best console for that market? I spent today trying to find sale numbers, but couldn't find much recent stuff.

The UK market is very similar to the US market, though the PS3 might be selling a little better over here.

PS3 games are multiregion, so you will be able to play US games on a UK machine. Xbox 360 games are not multiregion by default, but some US games can be played on UK consoles. This would require a bit of research if you wanted to play US games.

As far as I know, both consoles are locked to region 2 DVDs and the PS3 only plays region B blu rays.

I have no idea about the Wii, but it is the runaway best seller despite Nintendo increasing the price last year.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Games on PS-3 aren't region locked (movies will be locked by region), for handheld I believe both DS and PSP are NOT region locked for games ... oh and personally I'd consider grabbing them here and taking them with you (for the handheld systems at the very least).

Finally expect England to be footy (soccer) mad this summer with the World Cup on, if you're into it then that'll be a lot of fun - if not then its easy enough to avoid ... sort of

Oh and iTouch/iPhone is also 'kinda' multi-region - you'll also be able to access 'local' UK content if you setup a UK based account while over there - that includes local TV etc.

PS - If you haven't watched it before try to catch some Dr Who while you've over .... oh and Little Britain, oh and Benidorm(sp?) ...... oh and .....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Games on PS-3 aren't region locked (movies will be locked by region), for handheld I believe both DS and PSP are NOT region locked for games ... oh and personally I'd consider grabbing them here and taking them with you (for the handheld systems at the very least).

Finally expect England to be footy (soccer) mad this summer with the World Cup on, if you're into it then that'll be a lot of fun - if not then its easy enough to avoid ... sort of

Oh and iTouch/iPhone is also 'kinda' multi-region - you'll also be able to access 'local' UK content if you setup a UK based account while over there - that includes local TV etc.

PS - If you haven't watched it before try to catch some Dr Who while you've over .... oh and Little Britain, oh and Benidorm(sp?) ...... oh and .....

BBC America might be thw wife and I's most watched channel. We both love Dr. Who and I'm looking forward to watching the new guy and see how he does (early reviews have been good). I like Little Britain too. There's a blockbuster not far from the school, so getting a system that can play stuff is a bonus, but not required.

I actually can't wait for a summer in England with the World Cup on. I was there in 2006 as well. It's an international school, so it was great to be around the different fans. Got annoyed with the Italians by the end of it, but the secondary Italian girls cooked after they won and I've never eaten so well.

As for the system, I have a 360 here so I'm used to that, but the PS3 does sound like it might be more versatile. Plus, it would be nice to let the aunt use the blueray when I'm not there.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Oh one final thing if you've an American iPhone then be very scared of using it in the UK much* - I've heard nightmare stories of roaming charges with them (I leave mine in airplane mode the entire time I'm in the UK just to be on the safe side).

*This is something which plagues the use of the iPhone when abroad in any direction (ie. UK person when going to America etc.) - your 'standard' $40/month plan only covers data usage in the home country; on roaming it can be FAR more expensive .......
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Oh one final thing if you've an American iPhone then be very scared of using it in the UK much* - I've heard nightmare stories of roaming charges with them (I leave mine in airplane mode the entire time I'm in the UK just to be on the safe side).

*This is something which plagues the use of the iPhone when abroad in any direction (ie. UK person when going to America etc.) - your 'standard' $40/month plan only covers data usage in the home country; on roaming it can be FAR more expensive .......

If he has an unlocked phone he would be better off buying a pay as you go sim card in the UK. He would need to check his phone worked on UK networks first.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I won't bring a cell phone. I can't get signal where I work so only my wife has one. The village store near the school sells phone cards with some really great rates. I will have my laptop....the school has Wifi and we'll use Skype to talk so I can see the kids. My son loves Tops Trumps, so I can on buying a new set when I get there for both of us and mailing him one so we can "play" when we talk on Skype.