Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #501
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

It's going to be rough when I lose Manning down the road.

Just lost Rodgers for the year and now have to play with my Backup who is a 71 OVRL drafted player (C potential, never played and so never developed the first 2 years) and is a scrambling PG with a good arm but pedestrian accuracy and it is such a drag ...
Lost my first game 10-24 against a week Washington team and couldnīt get anything going in the passing game at all, only score was due to a great punt return and a couple big running plays.

Itīs a totally different game without a great QB.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #502
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Just lost Rodgers for the year and now have to play with my Backup who is a 71 OVRL drafted player (C potential, never played and so never developed the first 2 years) and is a scrambling PG with a good arm but pedestrian accuracy and it is such a drag ...
Lost my first game 10-24 against a week Washington team and couldnīt get anything going in the passing game at all, only score was due to a great punt return and a couple big running plays.

Itīs a totally different game without a great QB.

Oh yeah, I played with the Texans once, and barely beat Oakland. Schaub is horribly inconsistent, and I consider him a decent QB. I can't imagine having to be stuck with Sorgi for a full game. In the preseason, it was a lot of screens and quick slants, and even then it was an average performance with a couple of picks.

I may have to draft a QB a couple of years early to groom, if only because the drop off will be a shock.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #503
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Madden blog is up with "preliminary" details on the patch. It won't be out until at least November:

http://insideblog.easports.com/pages...y-details.aspx
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #504
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
In this update we have also fixed some annoying exploit issues. The first one we made is adding an initial move to the RB on the HB direct snap plays so he can’t immediately take off after receiving the snap. We also forced a QB drop initial move to force him to set up for a pass on Shotgun play action plays when you canceled the play action by hot routing the running back. This will keep the QB from being able to take off running right after getting the snap.

oh great, another automated and scripted thing ... Even after playing just this Madden it is amazing how many of this "prevent user from doing a certain thing" animations and what nots (like defenders running the WRs route before him ...) are in there.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #505
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The new patch is expected out pretty soon. Good news to everybody who already started a franny. You wont have to restart it for any of the fixes to take effect.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #506
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Patch just hit for the PS3 last night. I'm guessing that means it should hit for the 360 on Tuesday.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #507
Philliesfan980
Banned

The early impressions from OS on the 2nd patch are the RB stats are out of whack. Way too many 1,000 yard rushers, and a few 2,500+ runners each year.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #508
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
The early impressions from OS on the 2nd patch are the RB stats are out of whack. Way too many 1,000 yard rushers, and a few 2,500+ runners each year.

LOL at every RB having between 7 and 9 ypc. Did they not ever bother testing this?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #509
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey, hey, hey. They've only had 4 months to fix it. Whatd'ya expect?!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #510
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Hey, hey, hey. They've only had 4 months to fix it. Whatd'ya expect?!

Absolutely shocking that this company has a dire financial situation.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #511
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely ridiculous. They bring in one of the head coach gurus and still can't get simulated stats to be realistic. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-04-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #512
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm fairly close to giving up on video football games in general.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #513
Philliesfan980
Banned

I read a little more of the thread, and it seems like the issue is some guys are having absolute MONSTER games against the poorer teams in the league (Lions, Rams, etc). I think someone said that guys like Peterson would rush for 350 and 3 TD's against these guys.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #514
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Are these with default sliders, or with the sliders that everyone adjusted pre-patch to overcome running weakness.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #515
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The other thing about this is I really don't pay attention to stats in franchise mode, I'm far more worried about gameplay, drafting, and FA than what's going on in the record books. UNLESS this has gameplay effects, like driving up player demands or something.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #516
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Well, Madden may have come to an end for me. I got rid of it on goozex last week in what will end up being an even trade for NHL10, not bad played it for 3 1\2 months.

This years Madden was much improved in gameplay, hell it must have been it's the only one in the last three that was playable IMHO it was even enjoyable to play without any huge gamebreakers but in the end the game just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I finished a season with the Vikes and then moved onto my intended career game with my Rams (don't laugh). Got through the season, missed the playoffs (a first ever for any Madden game), had reasonable stats, and some very fun competitive games. But then after all of that I had absolutely no desire to move onto the draft or the next season.

I don't know if it is my slowly declining interest in the NFL itself over the last few years or the fact that other games, namely NBA 2kX and The ShowX, have completely passed it by in quality and ability to at least somewhat simulate real life. Either way I just can't see setting aside time to play Madden anymore. In the end it just takes away from the aforementioned games along with FM and OOTP.

I don't now maybe next year I'll get the itch again, but I kind of doubt it. For the last three years with the poor efforts Madden put out I never really played a football game. This year I finally had the chance to do so again and it all resulted in a ho-hum feeling that I think will translate into next year.
I think the itch has been scratched and as far as I can tell is no longer an issue.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #517
Kodos
Resident Alien

Anyone tried out gameplay after the 2nd patch? I'm wondering if online matches versus FOFC people can salvage the game. I have it on PS3.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #518
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not sure if this has been covered already, but, predictably, EA has extended their NFL exclusive license.

hxxp://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/02/13/ea-retains-nfl-exclusivity-through-2013-may-revisit-nfl-couch-series.htm

EA retains NFL exclusivity through 2013, may revisit NFL Head Coach series

EA’s Peter Moore has announced that the company has extended it’s deal with the NFL through the 2013 Super Bowl. This also includes exclusivity with the NFL Players union, meaning EA will retain the rights to all NFL teams, stadiums, and player likenesses and player information until the Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned in 2013.

Also as part of the new agreement, EA will “look at different ways to bring more consumers in,” according to EA Sports president Peter Moore. And this goes even beyond EA’s other NFL games outside of Madden, such as NFL Street and NFL Tour.

One way Moore is hoping to lure more Americans into the Madden fold is through the incorporation of content from the NFL Films production company and the NFL Network cable channel into the “Madden game experience.” Other new EA Sports initiatives include a continuation of the “family play” option for Wii games, expanded investment in the wildly popular fantasy football phenomenon, and undefined initiatives to court football fans during the spring and summer months.

“Both EA Sports and the NFL agree that we need to look at different ways to bring more consumers in. Traditionally, when the Super Bowl’s over, our football business is over, and there’s research that shows there are millions of people out there that can’t get enough football 12 months a year.”

Their newest attempt to gain new NFL football gamers was NFL Tour, which didn’t favor well with critics but is “doing ok” at retail. However, the former Xbox 360 marketing chief isn’t satisfied with just pumping out more NFL Tour or NFL Street. “I think we need to be more innovative,” he said. “For years, we’ve done Street versions of games, and I think it’s time we looked at online models and perhaps doing something that’s truly contra-seasonal.”

One promising way to do this is to revive the NFL Head Coach series, which hit the scene in 2006. “Things like Head Coach…well, for me, I love the X’s and O’s,” he said. “It’s something that I would love to do if I wasn’t in this business. When we look at the success of the Football Manager titles in Europe, there’s no reason we can’t do the same thing here. We’ve kind of tiptoed into it so far, but I think you’ll see continued investment in things like Head Coach.”

Although EA was excited to talk about it’s NFL extensions, it didn’t talk about it’s other American football agreements, those it has with the NCAA and the Arena Football League. “We’ll get to those when we get to those,” he said.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-22-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #519
Izulde
Head Coach

Whoever wrote that needs to be slapped. Its is a possessive that doesn't have an apostrophe and it's fare well with critics, not favor.

But then again, I've noticed some unbelievably sloppy copy-editing in online media articles lately. Our fast track to illiteracy just keeps getting faster and faster.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #520
Kodos
Resident Alien

The sad thing is that I fixed the headline, which mentioned "NFL Couch". It's still that way in the URL. Pretty bad, yes.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #521
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good news for Jim! :P
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #522
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'll give EA credit for one thing. They're willing to ride the ship all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

Predictibly, they emphasized working on the game this past year, the sales were poor (mostly due to previous iterations) and so they decide to go back to adding useless features (and other games) thinking that's the key to sales. Ugh.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #523
RainMaker
General Manager

Yep Peter, your game sells for shit because it doesn't have a "fantasy football" element to it. How fucking clueless can a company get.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #524
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ping: MBBF

Posted by Valdarez at Operation Sports

http://www.operationsports.com/Valda...-through-2010/

Madden Sales 2005 Through 2010

There's been a lot of discussions regarding Madden sales, whether they are down or up over the last 5 years. Everyone seemed to have a different opinion on the matter. To clear up the confusion I decided to take a few minutes to graph it out. I used VGChartz.com as the source. Unfortunately they did not have any PC numbers for the game, so I believe the graphs don't quite tell the whole story.

PC sales slid over the years to the point they stopped supporting the PC back in 2008 so the graph would be slanted down more than it is and would have started the slide earlier if we had the PC numbers. If anyone can find the PC numbers for Madden, please send them to me and I'll update the chart / images.

Take a look at the chart and draw your own conclusions regarding the sales, but please keep in mind the PC numbers are missing while doing so.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-19-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #525
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Looks like the big issue is PS2 gamers not making the transition. 360 is flat after the initial bump, while PS3 is growing slower than PS2 is dropping.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #526
Kodos
Resident Alien

P.S. For whatever reason, I've never been able to successfully download the second patch for my PS3 version of Madden.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #527
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought it was interesting that 2005 and 2010 had almost identical overall sales.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-19-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #528
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

These numbers would look even worse if you were to compare them to console software sales in general over that same time that have trending nothing but up and up.

I don't remember when the last Madden was that I bought, but I think it was either in 2005 or 2006. I was one of the PS2 people who never made the conversation to Madden for the next generation systems.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote