here's a shocker - Marion Jones juiced

According to multiple reports, Marion Jones has admitted to juicing:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tracka...ory?id=3049333

Real shocker right?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, not even remotely. I mean, everyone around her was juicing. Damn shame, really.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I knew something wasn't right about him.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I knew something wasn't right about him.
Well played sir.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

As per the established traditions of steroid controversies:

Even though her teammates, her performance, her appearance, her doctors, all circumstantial evidence, and even she herself says she was juicing, as a fan of hers I refuse to believe it because she never failed a test, dammit and therefore there's reasonable doubt and we should stop talking about it.

Other than that one time she did fail, but that test didn't count.*

* (The Carl Lewis/Lance Armstrong ammendment)
Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

What sucks is that she knew she was taking steroids, everybody that saw her knew she was taking steroids, and yet she never tested positive despite being a "high-probability" target.

Seriously, if the drug-testing science is this far behind the drug-masking science, they might as well give up
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know what I can't stand more than anything? Being lied to. Whether it's my kids or politicians, or athletes. I believed Rose, was always on his side, and then he admitted that had lied all along. What a chump. Vick made a fool of himself. Jones did the same, so did Tour de France guy. I am sure Bonds has been lying his ass off. They should have to pay twice the penalty just for trying to avoid paying for the choices that they made and trying to avoid the consequences.

There was a kid here was convicted of murder. He fought it the whole way. The day he is convicted, before sentencing, he confesses. Fuck him for wasing my money. Same with Jones and all the other liars out there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
As per the established traditions of steroid controversies:

Even though her teammates, her performance, her appearance, her doctors, all circumstantial evidence, and even she herself says she was juicing, as a fan of hers I refuse to believe it because she never failed a test, dammit and therefore there's reasonable doubt and we should stop talking about it.

Other than that one time she did fail, but that test didn't count.*

* (The Carl Lewis/Lance Armstrong ammendment)
Except that now she's admitting she did it.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
14ers
High School Varsity

What the hell are people doing with Flaxseed Oil? This is the 3rd time I have seen an athelte blame their positive steroid test on some kind of "Tainted" Flaxseed Oil.

Right now I take a Flaxseed Oil gelcaps 3 times a day. When I was training hard I was adding 1 tsp to my Protein shakes. I have bought a lot of Flaxseed Oil in my days, both in liguid form and softgels, but I have never seen it available in a transdermal application.

Why are people rubbing Flaxseed Oil all over their bodies?

Last edited by 14ers : 10-04-2007 at 11:04 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saw this earlier and it made me smile. Fucking lying bitch, i hope they put her cheat ass in prison.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Except that now she's admitting she did it.

Read his post again.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
Rizon
Pro Starter

In other surprising news: Lance Bass is gay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I know flaxseed oil is good for your cholesterol levels, but does it supposedly have an athletic use?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
Lorena
Unregistered

Oh crap, I guess the chick I saw at Walgreens a couple of weeks ago was her! I didn't know she had a home out here... crazy.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Oh my god, what's next? QuikSand admitting he lied to us from the start and actually is a computer afterall?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
What the hell are people doing with Flaxseed Oil? This is the 3rd time I have seen an athelte blame their positive steroid test on some kind of "Tainted" Flaxseed Oil.

Right now I take a Flaxseed Oil gelcaps 3 times a day. When I was training hard I was adding 1 tsp to my Protein shakes. I have bought a lot of Flaxseed Oil in my days, both in liguid form and softgels, but I have never seen it available in a transdermal application.

Why are people rubbing Flaxseed Oil all over their bodies?

The flaxseed oil story comes from Victor Conte at Balco. One of the "supplements" he claimed to be giving athletes was Flaxseed Oil and they used that as a cover for The Clear so the athletes could had a story if asked about it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

My vet gave me flaxseed oil to keep my cat's fur from clumping.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #18
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Of course it's a shocker. Not that she used, but that she finally got around to admitting it.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #19
molson
General Manager

It's easy to write her off as just a cheater, but this also has an effect on those who stood up for her and believed her story. What must they be thinking today? There were at least 2 in this thread that were pretty adamant about her innocence last year, despite the evidence:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ighlight=jones
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #20
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Everyone who defended her is probably hepped up on that flaxseed oil, too.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
Atocep
Coordinator

For those that haven't read it, I strongly recommend Game of Shadows. Its not about Barry Bonds. Its about Balco, its clients, and how steroid users manipulate the media and fans. Its a great book. It covered Marion Jones and her first positive test along with how her and Tim Montgomery used the media against the USADA.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Hopefully she didn't pass the juice to her (latest) husband, UTEP alum and Olympic bronze medalist, Obadele Thompson...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #23
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Everyone who defended her is probably hepped up on that flaxseed oil, too.
I plead not guilty.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #24
MIJB#19
Coordinator

All kiddding aside, when do we get to see a copy of that letter to family and friends (makes you wonder who thought he was enough of a friend to sell the story), why didn't they have a copy of the letter and only a qoute of a quote as the letter was read to someone?

Jones is suspicious? So is Washington Post's source.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Funny how she still words it like she inadvertantly used it.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Read his post again.
Yeah. I guess I find it somewhat offensive that his post implies that anyone here would still try to defend the innocence of an athlete that has admitted juicing.

It was one thing when, prior to "Game of Shadows" and it's meticulous research, someone could argue about Barry Bonds that, yes, it's likely he juiced, but there aren't any positive tests, he hasn't admitted it, and there are plausible explanations for his physical growth and his inflated power numbers.

But now, after that book and the leaked testimony where Bonds admitted he took the cream and the clear (though he doesn't admit to knowing those were steroids) it's clear that he did take steroids.

Maple Leaf's post was a clear jab at those who were cautioning that there was some level of reasonable doubt about Bonds' steroid use prior to that book and leaked testimony, but takes the offensive step of implying that even with the athlete admitting use, people here would still defend the athlete and claim they weren't juicing.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Maple Leaf's post was a clear jab at those who were cautioning that there was some level of reasonable doubt about Bonds' steroid use prior to that book and leaked testimony, but takes the offensive step of implying that even with the athlete admitting use, people here would still defend the athlete and claim they weren't juicing.

He's obviously making a point, but even litterally, it's not THAT far off from reality. Many defended Bonds and Jones until their admissions, despite overwhelming evidence. But is an admission any more damming that the evidence we already had?

It's ridiculous that people will defend anything short of an admission or a positive test. Because admissions will only happen if they have something to gain (or a lot to lose), and athletes simply aren't tested effectively, because the science of cheating will ALWAYS be way ahead of the science of catching cheaters.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #28
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He's obviously making a point, but even litterally, it's not THAT far off from reality. Many defended Bonds and Jones until their admissions, despite overwhelming evidence. But is an admission any more damming that the evidence we already had?
Depending on where in the various timelines of these stories you're talking about, yes. Before "Game of Shadows" and the leaked Balco testimony of Bonds, there were plausible explanations for the various circumstantial evidence presented against him.

I personally never said I think he was clean - I always maintained I thought it was likely he used. I simply objected the idea that anyone who wasn't 100% convinced at that time that Bonds was a juicer was an idiot/naive/hopeless Bonds defender.

Once he admitted he used (via the leaked testimony) and that book came out with meticulous research detailing the case against Bonds, I was convinced. If others were 100% before this point, that's fine - just don't tell me I'm stupid for not being 100% convinced before this point, because there were plausible explanations for all of the circumstantial evidence presented against him. Yes, it was an awful lot of circumstantial evidence, and that's why I thought it was likely he had used, but I was willing to give him some benefit of the doubt until more damning evidence was presented.

Quote:
It's ridiculous that people will defend anything short of an admission or a positive test. Because admissions will only happen if they have something to gain (or a lot to lose), and athletes simply aren't tested effectively, because the science of cheating will ALWAYS be way ahead of the science of catching cheaters.
Read this again and tell me how this makes sense? Are you implying that all athletes are users? Because that's how this paragraph reads. If not, what is the line where you feel it's reasonable to accuse someone with 100% certainty of cheating? How many rumors, and from whom? How much, and what kind of circumstantial evidence?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Bonds has admitted his steroid use. Not in public yet, but under oath. He claims he didn't take it knowingly, but he admits he took it. And plenty of people still defend him. I'm not sure what I said was inaccurate, let along offensive.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Read this again and tell me how this makes sense? Are you implying that all athletes are users? Because that's how this paragraph reads. If not, what is the line where you feel it's reasonable to accuse someone with 100% certainty of cheating? How many rumors, and from whom? How much, and what kind of circumstantial evidence?

There's other ways to tell - visual evidence, associations with known distributors, etc.

Bottom line - athletes don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They've fought against drug testing in every sport, and even where it does exist, it's a total joke.

I certainly believe that the strong majority of track & field athletes are using some type of banned substance. It's hugely prevelent in other sports as well. If sports leagues and organizations aren't going to meaningfully police it, that doesn't require me to assume everyone's clean. I can assume the oppossitte, and be right most of the time.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #31
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Bonds has admitted his steroid use. Not in public yet, but under oath. He claims he didn't take it knowingly, but he admits he took it. And plenty of people still defend him. I'm not sure what I said was inaccurate, let along offensive.
Who has continued to claim that Bonds didn't juice after "Game of Shadows" came out and the Balco testimony was leaked?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #32
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's other ways to tell - visual evidence, associations with known distributors, etc.
Check the list of baseball players that have tested positive, and then tell me you could tell ahead of time based off of "visual evidence" that they were likely users.

Yeah, there are any number of bits of circumstantial evidence that can be applied to suspected juicers, but the question is, how much of that needs to be in place for you to feel, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are juicers?

Quote:
Bottom line - athletes don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They've fought against drug testing in every sport, and even where it does exist, it's a total joke.
I agree - again, look at the list of baseball players who've failed tests. But you understand that there is a major fundamental difference between saying no player is beyond suspicion of juicing and saying all players should be considered, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to be juicing - right?

Quote:
I certainly believe that the strong majority of track & field athletes are using some type of banned substance. It's hugely prevelent in other sports as well. If sports leagues and organizations aren't going to meaningfully police it, that doesn't require me to assume everyone's clean. I can assume the oppossitte, and be right most of the time.
I agree for the most part - I think that we've reached a point where we can't assume everyone is clean. But it's a huge leap from there to assume, with 100% confidence, that nobody is clean.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #33
korme
Go Reds

*many years too late*

nothing is pure in sports anymore
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #34
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"So what? I doubt it really had that much of an effect. Look at all those other people that cheated and didn't run nearly as fast as her."

"What about the athletes that have had eye surgery or wear glasses? Should we ban them, too?"

"I heard Jesse Owens took greenies."

"This is nothing but a witch hunt. Let me know when she actually fails a test."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
"So what? I doubt it really had that much of an effect. Look at all those other people that cheated and didn't run nearly as fast as her."

"What about the athletes that have had eye surgery or wear glasses? Should we ban them, too?"

"I heard Jesse Owens took greenies."

"This is nothing but a witch hunt. Let me know when she actually fails a test."
And don't forget "it was a private letter to her family. Even if evidence is completely damning, we can choose to ignore it as long as it wasn't supposed to have been made public".
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #36
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Check the list of baseball players that have tested positive, and then tell me you could tell ahead of time based off of "visual evidence" that they were likely users.

Yeah, there are any number of bits of circumstantial evidence that can be applied to suspected juicers, but the question is, how much of that needs to be in place for you to feel, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are juicers?

I don't need to know "beyond a shadow of a doubt" to have an opinion. Of those suspended, I agree, I wouldn't have picked any of them out, but that kind of goes to my broader point. Only the fringe, under-the-radar guys are caught. I don't think that's because they're the only ones using, I think it's because they don't have the connections and resource of high-tech Balco-type outfits that can easily conceal detection

Quote:

I agree for the most part - I think that we've reached a point where we can't assume everyone is clean. But it's a huge leap from there to assume, with 100% confidence, that nobody is clean.

In track and field, I assume that 100% of the athletes are cheating at the elite level. I'm not sure beyond "a shadow of a doubt", that's just my opinion.

Basically, my only point was to express an annoyance with defenses people make of certain athletes on the grounds that "they've never tested dirty", "they're so talented they don't need to cheat", or worse of all "you can't prove that beyond a reasonable doubt". I think that overall, it's no longer our responsibility to "prove" anything - I put the burden of doubt purely on the players and the sports leagues. Otherwise, I'll have my own opinions. (And I don't think every baseball player is juicing).

Last edited by molson : 10-05-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

As I've already mentioned, I have no problem if people assume athletes are juicing without those athletes having tested positive or admitting to such use.

I just don't want to be mocked if someone says "I think it's obvious that Roger Clemens [as an example] is a juicer" and I say "I suspect you're probably right, but I don't think there's enough evidence to say that with any certainty".

That's my only point.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #38
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thread is 2 days old, and no parody thread using Marion Jones and shocker?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #39
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm shocked this thread didn't get an 'update' post with news on Jones' "I'm guilty" , opposed to the hear-say we were discussing so far.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Irony?

Marion Jones joined the Tulsa Shock today, of the WNBA.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #41
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
My vet gave me flaxseed oil to keep my cat's fur from clumping.

Does taking it motivate you to brush your cat regularly?