Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Verizon and the NFL

Verizon Wireless to Show NFL Games on Mobile Phones (Update1) - BusinessWeek

Quote:
March 9 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. wireless carrier, signed an agreement with the National Football League to show live games and the RedZone Channel over mobile phones.

The agreement runs for four years and starts with the NFL Draft next month, Basking Ridge, New Jersey-based Verizon Wireless said in a statement today. Terms of the agreement weren’t disclosed. The deal was earlier reported by the Wall Street Journal, which said the price was $720 million.

Verizon Wireless is looking for new sources of revenue as the market for wireless calling nears saturation. There are enough mobile devices for about 9 out of every 10 people in the U.S., according to the CTIA wireless industry association. Distributing games on mobile phones is a shift for the NFL, which has largely relied on broadcasting the games through News Corp. and CBS Corp. TV channels.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group Plc. Verizon Communications rose 40 cents to $29.63 in New York Stock Exchange trading yesterday. The stock had lost 11 percent this year before today.

Quote:
Verizon Adds NFL Network to Expanding List of Content Agreements

FIOS TV Viewers Also Will Get NFL Network in HD & NFL on Demand
News Release ShareThis

May 4, 2005 –
NEW YORK -Verizon today announced a programming-distribution agreement with NFL Network, the television channel providing fans with year-round programming on the National Football League. It is the latest in a series of content agreements that Verizon has announced.

Under the agreement, Verizon will carry the channel on Verizon FiOS TV when it launches later this year. Also included are NFL Network in HD and NFL on Demand, the network's video-on-demand programming, which currently ranks as the No. 1 sports content available on demand.

NFL Network is the first 24-hour, year-round television network dedicated to the National Football League and the sport of football. Launched 18 months ago, it has quickly established itself as a destination for anyone seeking an insider's view of news, information and analysis on the National Football League.

"We are pleased to add NFL Network to our extensive lineup of sports programming," said Terry Denson, vice president of programming and marketing for FiOS TV. "Our future customers will join the millions of passionate football fans who follow their favorite teams year-round on NFL Network."

Brian Decker, NFL Network vice president of affiliate sales, said, "As a recent newcomer ourselves, we are emboldened by Verizon's interest in video content and look forward to joining with them to provide advanced services into America's homes."

NFL Network will complement other major cable and network channels available to Verizon subscribers. Verizon previously announced agreements with NBC Universal Cable, Starz Entertainment Group, Showtime Networks, A&E Television Networks and Discovery Networks, GolTV, Gospel Music Channel, Soundtrack Channel, MavTV and Varsity TV, and is close to finalizing agreements with several other major content-partners.

Verizon FiOS TV will offer customers a competitive alternative to cable or satellite. In addition to the channels announced today, FiOS TV will also deliver hundreds of other digital video channels, high-definition programming, video-on-demand content, music channels, an interactive programming guide and other customer-friendly features via the company's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) broadband network. Verizon is already constructing FTTP networks in half the states where it offers landline communications service.

Terms of the agreement are not disclosed.

NFL Network

NFL Network provides millions of fans of the great sport of football and the National Football League with a network to call their own. It takes 85 years of NFL history and combines it with the latest technology to bring television viewers sports entertainment at its highest level. To learn more, please log onto www.nfl.com/nflnetwork.

Verizon Communications Inc.

With more than $71 billion in annual revenues, Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services. Verizon has a diverse work force of 214,000 in four business units: Domestic Telecom provides customers based in 28 states with wireline and other telecommunications services, including broadband. Verizon Wireless owns and operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 45.5 million voice and data customers across the United States. Information Services operates directory publishing businesses and provides electronic commerce services. International includes wireline and wireless operations and investments, primarily in the Americas and Europe. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-09-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That's pretty sweet. I have the DirectTV ticket and they have an iPhone app to where I can watch any game on Sunday live from my phone if I have access to wireless. I'm guessing this would work in a similar manner and it's pretty slick.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I will be interested to see the pricing breakdown.

It would be hard to give up my Sunday Ticket with TiVo. But having this as an option is certainly interesting.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

Until someone else offers sunday ticket I'm not giving up my satellite.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

Sweet...
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
That's pretty sweet. I have the DirectTV ticket and they have an iPhone app to where I can watch any game on Sunday live from my phone if I have access to wireless. I'm guessing this would work in a similar manner and it's pretty slick.

Palm webOS phones have a DirecTV app as well. Very cool, though I hardly used it since I was at home to watch the games.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

This is another thing that would make the iPad v2.0 hugely useful.

Watching on a phone sucks, but an iPad-sized screen seems big enough.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote