Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

what better game?

Bad company 2 or modern warfare 2? I will only be playing multiplayer. I'm about a level 60 in COD. But the amount of cheese and cheating gets annoying. Too much tactical insertion plus friend headshot plus hey I got the nuke for me. Plus that combo of commando pro/lightweight/unlimited sprint/tactical knife is just lame as shit.

Now that I can basically trade it in and get BC2 for like 20 bucks I was thinking of making the switch.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola
The PS3 version has way too much lag for me. Too many times I have someone sighted. I fire. They should be dead but instead I get stabbed. Then I watch the replay and my gun never went off. I lose at least 5 kills per round this way seemingly. Like if I even clip you with a bullet you shouldn't be able to keep sprinting at me. You aren't superhuman.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trola

I only play free for all.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

I haven't played MW2, or MW, or any other console FPS since my aim sucks with the thumb sticks... but I found the demo of BC2 to be really fun and have pre-ordered it. I've only played Rush mode since that's the only thing in the demo, but I can have more input once I get the game tomorrow.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I faced this same dilemma over the weekend and finally decided to buy the PC version of COD:MW2. My sons already play it on the XBOX, but I'm finding I can aim better using the mouse. I also downloaded and played the Bad Company 2 demo, and enjoyed how you get experience points in the support classes (ie- Medic/Engineer) instead of just how many kills you made. The part I am not digging yet is the vehicle combat in BBC2. I jumped into the demo late, but got mowed down repeatedly by tanks, etc.

I was also mainly interested in the multiplayer aspect of those two games. I've read tons of stories regarding cheats, hacks, etc. And probably the sheer numbers would say there will be more players on console, but many of them will be shrieking kids (yes, mine are lumped into that category. It's annoying to hear it, and I'm not even playing it ). But I decided to buy it through Steam (no advertisement here, just full disclosure). They typically have 90,000-110,000 players online at a time, and the few games I've played were all immediate and with no lag. I figure the players may be a little older (and hopefully more mature) if they are playing on a gaming rig instead of a console.

By the way - good news for me... I just had my birthday, and with an unexpected check from my sister-in-law, I can now afford both. Let me know if you decide to buy Bad Company 2...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bad company 2 or modern warfare 2? I will only be playing multiplayer. I'm about a level 60 in COD. But the amount of cheese and cheating gets annoying. Too much tactical insertion plus friend headshot plus hey I got the nuke for me. Plus that combo of commando pro/lightweight/unlimited sprint/tactical knife is just lame as shit.

Now that I can basically trade it in and get BC2 for like 20 bucks I was thinking of making the switch.

Strictly FWIW, over the past couple of weeks MW2 has turned out to be the only shooter with MP I've ever really played much & the only one that I'm even remotely decent at online. I still suck really bad, don't get me wrong, but at least my suckage has diminished after 30+ levels. And I suck so bad that I don't like dragging anyone else down with me so I'm almost exclusively free-for-all mode.

Anyhoo, point being, I don't bother to grab the headset very often since I have no interest in talking in FFA and the thing that has surprised me most is how little chatter there actually is. In something like 28 hours of playing I've heard maybe 3 kids whose voices haven't changed yet and on average there's 1-2 people who even have their mics on, typically somewhat foul-mouthed college kids but even then it's more in the mildly amusing commentary category than the trash-talking category.

About the biggest drawback I can think of with MW2 is that we're so late to the party that for the first 25-35 levels you get your ass kicked a lot. Your learning curve will probably be a lot faster than mine since you seem to have more time in the genre but the basic problem kind of remains (IMO): you're a low level going up against a lot of people who have maxxed out already.

edit to add: This is on 360

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-02-2010 at 08:04 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I still suck really bad, don't get me wrong, but at least my suckage has diminished after 30+ levels. And I suck so bad that I don't like dragging anyone else down with me so I'm almost exclusively free-for-all mode.

About the biggest drawback I can think of with MW2 is that we're so late to the party that for the first 25-35 levels you get your ass kicked a lot. Your learning curve will probably be a lot faster than mine since you seem to have more time in the genre but the basic problem kind of remains (IMO): you're a low level going up against a lot of people who have maxxed out already.

That is SO true (NOT that you suck, just that we're playing against players betwen Levels 60-70)! When they split the players up into teams, I'm almost always the only one with a level in single digits. So yeah, I'm usually at the bottom of the scoreboard. I find that I start off slowly on each map, and then start to get a feel for where I'm more vulnerable. I think my best so far was something like 7 kills, 2 assists and 11 deaths. I'm up to Level 7 now (I think)...

Just play, have fun, don't take it too seriously, and slowly gain the confidence to compete with the veterans.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

Battlefield is a much larger game and I always think involves more strategy. Not a lot of cheating in the old one and not a lot of cheese either. The only annoying aspect from the old one was that some guys got really good at the helicopter and could dominate a game with it. The helicopter seems toned down in the new one though and a little easier to take down.

I'd download the demo of BC2 and see if you like it. I will warn you that it does have a little learning curve and takes a little while to get used to. There is much more strategy involved and playing as a squad is much more important. You also have huge maps so there is more sniper and long distance play. You can also earn points many different ways.

They did take some elements of MW2 in the new one, but it still feels enough like the Battlefield series to make it much different.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
That is SO true (NOT that you suck, just that we're playing against players betwen Levels 60-70)! When they split the players up into teams, I'm almost always the only one with a level in single digits. So yeah, I'm usually at the bottom of the scoreboard. I find that I start off slowly on each map, and then start to get a feel for where I'm more vulnerable. I think my best so far was something like 7 kills, 2 assists and 11 deaths. I'm up to Level 7 now (I think)...

Just play, have fun, don't take it too seriously, and slowly gain the confidence to compete with the veterans.

It's been an interesting learning curve for a someone like me who doesn't play co-op really ever until now. I've at least reached the point where I'm usually in the middle of the scoring pack instead of dead last all the time, only took about 30 levels for me to get there though.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola
The PS3 version has way too much lag for me. Too many times I have someone sighted. I fire. They should be dead but instead I get stabbed. Then I watch the replay and my gun never went off. I lose at least 5 kills per round this way seemingly. Like if I even clip you with a bullet you shouldn't be able to keep sprinting at me. You aren't superhuman.

The lag is probably because there are more Asians who have PS3's than XBOX360's. Since MW2 is P2P to the host, instead of dedicated server, there is always going to be around 400 to 500 ms of lag when US players and Asia players are thrown together in a game.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've been playing Bad Company for the past couple hours and it's a lot of fun. I have gotten bored of MW2 lately and this is going to be a nice substitute for sure!
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, I've been playing for an hour so far and it's nice. But it's getting to the evening now and the servers are going to crash out till late tonight since it's a new game from EA.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ah. There they go.

Time to read a book or something.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, like clockwork with every new EA game. Will probably be able to play around midnight but servers will need a week or two to get fixed. I would have ordered then but wanted the limited edition.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

I have Bad Company 2 on PC and Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 and prefer Bad Company between the two. If you prefer to play FFA you are probably going to be better off with Modern Warfare though, BC2 is much more of a team game. This vid on how to not be a noob at BC2 shows what is involved with it's gameplay:

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm level 62 now. But I get so fucked in team games.

I know the maps well enough now and I know where people hide. In any type of Tesm game j get owned. Im like 2.5M overall in kills right now.

Basically I think in order to be good you have to work on aiming so much. And try to break free of the auto run cause it just gets you killed too much.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

For those that like strategy and team play, I suggest "Domination" on MW2. That's all I play. I'm level 56 and experience the tough learning curve. Right now I can generally have a k:d over 1.0, and that makes me happy. I have rounds now and then that are say 24:4, but those are very rare - more common is 13:12 type numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Here's what I run usually

ACR with ACOG scope and silencer
Either the best machine pistol or G16 akimbo/extended mags. I should have the desert eagle w/ tactical knife soon.

Bling Pro
Varies. But generally cold Blooded
Usually Ninja Pro.

Kill streaks
Care Package
Predator
Air drop
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

That video above is a really good guide. One of the things I love about the game is that you don't need to be a great thumb jockey to be good. If you can just use your class properly, you'll rack up a ton of points and be at the top of the scoreboard. For instance you get more points for spotting an enemy then killing them. Same points for re-supplying a teammate as opposed to killing an enemy.

In the old one, I used to play as a medic a lot and just lay down med packs for teammates and rack up the points.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #20
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I didn't play the first bad company but I caught myself getting blasted while trying to press the spot button and shoot at the same damn time lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #21
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm trading my MW2 for BC2. I'm so addicted to MAG as it requires more teamwork than MW2, but i enjoyed BC1 a lot and i guess i will also BC2 for what i have seen so far.

MW2 has pretty graphics but it's too selfish oriented, no teamwork needed and once one player has a good kill streak, he becomes too powerful and the game becomes too much one sided.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Last night showed me how good the game can be. Had a squad of 4 and we all worked together. Spawned on each other and had different kits. Two of the guys were medics and would revive us when we died. One was a recon who would throw tracer balls and one was an attacker who kept us full of ammo. Had some epic firefights and we got so good near the end that we tore through a few maps by working together. The recon guy was really good at spotting guys for us before we took a crate.

Which brings me to my biggest gripe so far. I don't seem to get into a full game or squad ever. Tons of 7 on 7 or 6 on 6 games with me by myself in a squad. Out of the 4 hours I've played, I've maybe had 30 minutes in a full squad and a full game. The boards are just too massive to play with so few people.

Also a question. Is there a specialization that allows you to not be spotted by the enemy? The spotting system seems so hit or miss. I feel like a guy can be on the other side of the board and I can light him up but other times he can be standing right in front of me and I can't. I even killed a few guys who I was trying to light up. If I could shoot them with an assault rifle, not sure why I couldn't light them up. Haven't got enough unlocks yet to know if this is a specialization since I couldn't find anything resembling it.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That group you had last night sounds like a blast. I have yet to play with a group like that but man it sounds sweet. I need to try and recruit a few buddies of mine. If I could play in a consistently good squad, not necessarily the same people, but if more and more people started working as a team this game would be epic. The only voice chat i have really heard so far is people talking to their roommates.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Here's what I run usually

ACR with ACOG scope and silencer
Either the best machine pistol or G16 akimbo/extended mags. I should have the desert eagle w/ tactical knife soon.

Bling Pro
Varies. But generally cold Blooded
Usually Ninja Pro.

Kill streaks
Care Package
Predator
Air drop

I run with:

ACR with Holographic Scope and FMG (just because I want the extended mags, otherwise it would be gren launcher)

Ranger akimbo all of the way

Bling Pro
Hardline Pro
Scrambler Pro

Kill Streaks:
Care Package
Sentry Gun
Uhh.. the chopper that is at 7 kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like we have similar thought processes. As I will run the rangers as well. I'm not a big fan of scrambler. I think it tips people off that you are nearby.

My favorite point of a ffa game is when you realize that none of the morons you're playing with brought an anti aircraft weapon. I at least have the decency to not headshot someone when they are using a launcher. I at least wait til it is fired before getting the cheap head shot. Unfortunately I don't think others are so nice. .