Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Swaggs
Coordinator

Question for Itunes Experts

So... I'm about 10-years behind on the Ipod/Itunes revolution, but I finally got my first Ipod last Summer, & I have a question:

Is there an easy way to get all of my songs (including those bought and downloaded from Itunes) from one laptop to another laptop?

I have already set up Itunes on the new laptop and still have access to the old laptop, along with a flash drive. Is there a simple way to do this through Itunes? Are the purchased songs transferable (It said something about being licensed on 2 of 5 computers, so I assume you can use all your stuff on up to 5).

Anyway, any help appreciated. It seems like I should be able to go in and grab the files manually (if I knew where they were all saved) or that there should be some sort of built in utility, but the only option I could find was to burn to a DVD/CD, rather than a backup harddrive.

Last edited by Swaggs : 02-24-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

If you Google "copy iTunes library to new computer" or "copy iTunes library to another computer" you'll get a ton of hits. It's pretty simple. You can do it using your iPod as the external HD or you can do it with an external HD.

Move iTunes to another computer and keep library data intact - File Transfer - Lifehacker is just one of the hits, I've found that Lifehacker usually has fairly straightforward info. Also you can look at ilounge.com, I'm sure they have info there. Also Apple's iPod support has info on doing it, too.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment, I'm at work with no iTunes or useful internet. The jist is that you copy your entire iTunes directory from the old computer to the new. Then you point your new computer's version of iTunes to look at wherever you moved the directory to. When it tries to import, it will ask you for your password and if I remember right, will tell you that you have now used x of your 5 computers.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

Thanks TK!

I'll take a look at it tonight -- it sounds like the right info.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote