Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sports Media gets it right again

Too bad we get barraged with bullshit like the Tigers Woods press conference and yet the media can barely find a paragraph for this. Maybe I am a minority, but I would watch a story like this over any of the negative stuff/senstaionalized crap that seems to be more desireable to media outlets. Best wishes to an athlete that gets it and to his Wife for a full recovery.

Boxer vacates title to help wife fight cancer - News - FOX Sports on MSN

Quote:

Robert Guerrero of the United States has vacated his IBF junior lightweight title to be with his wife, Casey, during the latest steps in her lengthy struggle with leukemia.

Guerrero announced his decision Tuesday, a week after he was forced to drop out of a prospective fight with Australia's Michael Katsidis.

Casey Guerrero is hospitalized while recovering from a bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy.

Guerrero (25-1-1, 17 KOs) won a featherweight title before his wife was diagnosed with the disease in 2007. He vacated that title in 2008 and moved up to junior lightweight, dominating Malcolm Klassen last year to claim the IBF belt.

The Guerreros have two young children.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What exactly is sports media?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What exactly is sports media?

Is just Media better?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I agree, I wish more outlets were reporting this as at least a headline, alongside the Tiger story.

I was really bothered (and saddened) when the day that Barack Obama visited with the Dalai Lama, the top news on Google News was Tiger Woods' announcement that he'd have a press announcement. Even worse, the 2nd headline was how Ernie Els was pissed about the timing of Woods' announcement.

I've lost faith in people, though. I guarantee this story wouldn't make the news, or make people click-through. Obviously, even the President didn't. Tiger did.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

News is a consumer product like any other now. What sells the most and what the higher-ups think will sell the most gets the most promotion. What doesn't sell falls by the wayside.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003 View Post
News is a consumer product like any other now. What sells the most and what the higher-ups think will sell the most gets the most promotion. What doesn't sell falls by the wayside.

I know, just venting, it is what it is and will likely never change....A little more eqaulity would be nice though.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
lungs
Pro Rookie

If Tiger Woods quit the tour to be with his ailing wife it would be a huge story. Thing is, Robert Guererro isn't a big name so nobody pays much attention.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I agree, I wish more outlets were reporting this as at least a headline, alongside the Tiger story.

Problem there is that virtually no one knows who the hell Robert Guerrero is.

I mean, pro wrestler Sonny Siaki ended his career (which had finally gotten him a WWE developmental deal) by donating a kidney to his brother. But that hardly got covered in the wrestling media much less any other media (I'm not suggesting a wrestling = sports argument here, so let's not go there now). But Kurt Angle's name showing up in some pharmacy records gets covered on both ESPN & by the AP mainstream news wire.

In that case, as with this one, the disparity in coverage in more readily attributable to name recognition than to bad news selling better than good news.

Even in the Lama vs Tiger example, more people in the US know the latter than the former. And further, more care about the latter to boot.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Problem there is that virtually no one knows who the hell Robert Guerrero is.

I mean, pro wrestler Sonny Siaki ended his career (which had finally gotten him a WWE developmental deal) by donating a kidney to his brother. But that hardly got covered in the wrestling media much less any other media (I'm not suggesting a wrestling = sports argument here, so let's not go there now). But Kurt Angle's name showing up in some pharmacy records gets covered on both ESPN & by the AP mainstream news wire.

In that case, as with this one, the disparity in coverage in more readily attributable to name recognition than to bad news selling better than good news.

Even in the Lama vs Tiger example, more people in the US know the latter than the former. And further, more care about the latter to boot.

I know. President/the Lama vs. Tiger, I'm somewhat saddened that more care about Tiger, but not really surprised. With competition like that, Robert Guerrero has no chance. Disappointing, but not surprising.

/tk
Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know. President/the Lama vs. Tiger, I'm somewhat saddened that more care about Tiger, but not really surprised.

I'm not sitting on numbers for it, but I'd be stunned if more than 55% of the country could guess whether the DL is alive or dead (since he's one guy, like Lynyrd Skynrd or Jethro Tull). And if more than 25% could tell you his nationality. And if at least 10% didn't respond in some way that references Gatlinburg, TN.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sitting on numbers for it, but I'd be stunned if more than 55% of the country could guess whether the DL is alive or dead (since he's one guy, like Lynyrd Skynrd or Jethro Tull). And if more than 25% could tell you his nationality. And if at least 10% didn't respond in some way that references Gatlinburg, TN.

I guess I'd be hopeful that news of what the President is doing (not so much that he's with the Dalai Lama) would help a click rate.

Even amongst my (reasonably well-educated) friends, I don't know that even 25% could tell me his nationality, or who he is.

/tk
Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Honest questions. Does he get credit for doing something that many of us would not have done or does he get credit for doing what he is supposed to do? I don't want to be negative but what did he do? He chose his wife's health over his profession. Well to paraphrase Chris Rock, that is what he is supposed to do. Athletes are supposed to choose to be with their wife during the birth of a child. Athletes are supposed to choose their faith over playing a game during Rosh Hashanah. But yet in many cases athletes are criticized for not being "professional" enough, not having the proper commitment to the game and their teammates and even worse, being selfish. I don't think the public can have it both ways. If we give Guerrero or Phil Mickelson extra point for what they do, shouldn't we then rip athletes who leave their families in times of crisis to play in games? We don't, we praise them for performing despite the stressful circumstances they are under.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

All social security checks delivered on time.

Security checks get lost, hundreds of elderly are aren't able to pay heating bill or buy medication.

Two headlines. One you see, one you don't. Easy explanation as to why.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I'd be hopeful that news of what the President is doing (not so much that he's with the Dalai Lama) would help a click rate.

Is he planning to launch an attack on China w/ DL's help?
Is he planning to name the DL as a cabinet member?
Is there truly anything about the DL that's relevant to the US?

Given the answer to those questions, I have a tough time seeing it helping the click rate much.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Honest questions. Does he get credit for doing something that many of us would not have done or does he get credit for doing what he is supposed to do? I don't want to be negative but what did he do? He chose his wife's health over his profession. Well to paraphrase Chris Rock, that is what he is supposed to do. Athletes are supposed to choose to be with their wife during the birth of a child. Athletes are supposed to choose their faith over playing a game during Rosh Hashanah. But yet in many cases athletes are criticized for not being "professional" enough, not having the proper commitment to the game and their teammates and even worse, being selfish. I don't think the public can have it both ways. If we give Guerrero or Phil Mickelson extra point for what they do, shouldn't we then rip athletes who leave their families in times of crisis to play in games? We don't, we praise them for performing despite the stressful circumstances they are under.

Couldn't agree more, though yes I think he should get credit for doing what he is supposed to do. Whether it be family, religion, or a cause someone believes in.

To your other question, I don't think we should rip an athlete for leaving their families to play a game, since it may be something their families asked or even insisted they do, so I wouldn't rip or praise the athlete not knowing the dynamics.

Great points though.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Even amongst my (reasonably well-educated) friends, I don't know that even 25% could tell me his nationality, or who he is.

/tk

I believe he now has Canadian citizenship. That makes him a darned Canuck!
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote