Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #201
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

So what is the algorithm to decide what teams are on the "Polls" page. I see a few 12 - 6 teams on there, and with the way my team finished the season (9 straight wins), I think they should at least get a mention on that page (and have a shot at making the Top 25 ) My guys really came on in the end of the year, and it will be sad to lose some of them, but like my recruiting class and I think we can pick things up next year.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Time for my year end poll. You know I only vote for human teams as, well, it's not like the stinking computer cares if it gets first or last. This season, it looks like there was a little bit more parity at the top. Last season, we had a 16-2, 15-3, and three different 13-5s. This year, the tops are a pair of 15-3s, 14-4, 13-5, and a slew of 12-6s.

It would be easy to just use those 4 outliers and make them the top 4 but I think there's more to it than that.

#1 15-3 Little Rock Flying Tigers. My vote for this year's #1 again goes to a team from the Gulf Coast conference. Little Rock had made the right adjustments after the midseason changes to the game and came down the stretch winning 9 in a row before losing the season finale to Richmond. If they had won it, they'd be a unanimous #1 but as they lost, the voting was much closer in my mind. Which means...

#2 15-3 Denzer St. Drunks. It was very close in my mind with both teams with 15 wins. Denzer lost all 3 games on the road, two to tough opponents and one to a cupcake (same as Little Rock). The reason they get bumped down a little in my mind is that they had their hot streak early, before the changes (7-0 to start the season), rather than after. If the top two teams played now, I think Little Rock would win.

The next two teams are almost identical, as well. Both Downriver Rats, the tallest team in the game, and Nutmeg State Navigators started out 9-1 but faded a little down the stretch with Downriver Rats going 5-3 and Nutmeg State Navigators going 4-4. To decide between these two, I looked at a couple of things. First off, all of the Downriver losses were on the road while Nutmeg State lost 3 times at home somehow. Secondly, I think the Great Plains were a better conference than the North Woods, by a smidge. It's hard to do comparisons because there are no out of conference games but North Woods had a pair of computer teams and two real clunker teams (Solsberry Warriors were one of each of those as a 2-16 computer team) while Great Plains was a bit more balanced and had no computer teams. So, I have to go with the following:

#3 14-4 Downriver Rats
#4 13-5 Nutmeg State Navigators

But, wait, what if I look at the 12-6 teams? Maybe someone really struggled early and turned it on late. If I had to give a 5th place vote, it would go to the Appleton Astronauts. They play in the Great Lakes with Denzer St, probably the toughest conference in the game with Denzer at 15-3 and three more teams at 12-6 (Appleton, Fox Valley Tech Chickens, Piedmont Glaciers) and the whole conference is human. Appleton was a blistering 8-0 at home vs this tough competition but an equally brutal 2-6 on the road, splitting with the other 3 good teams in the conference. Down the stretch, they went 7-1 and would get the #5 if we had to give one but they aren't better than any of the top 4.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #203
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The Appleton Astronauts came on strong at the end of the season. Finishing 4-0, and winning last 7 of 8 games including the #4 team in the country, Denzer.

Oh. I got props from SI. Thanks.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately, there are no votes below the top 4 so I couldn't do anything more than give you a mention

Oh, and whoever voted for computer teams for their top 2, a pox on you. It's hard enough to beat the computer at its own game, but even harder when there's these silly computer sympathizers out there. You going to help Skynet and Master Mold round up all the humans, too?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-31-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #205
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Glad to see I got on the voting list at least for the poll - although it was after the last poll was voted for, haha
Old 02-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #206
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey guys. I definitely lapsed in how involved I was with my team this season and now that the season is over, I don't want to repeat my mistakes of the last offseason.

What is the schedule like at this point? Is it a set amount of time off before the next season or is it a bit of an up in the air situation depending on what needs tweaking/fiddling/etc? I did a bit of a roster run through yesterday to see where I'm standing at and this next season is going to be pretty huge for me (I've got 6 upcoming seniors after having 4 this season) so I'm really wanting to try and stay on top of when the next season starts.

I'll also try and be a lot better with the polls next season. I think I only did them 2-3 times this season and I apologize for my lack of involvement.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #207
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As much as I hate to mention it as I'd love the recruiting edge, it looks like our teams have been populated with recruits from last season and a new batch of recruits are out there.

The first games are scheduled for next Monday (2/15)

CW: Pretty big reporting bug still with the training reports. Last year's recruits still mimic the player directly above them:
(i.e. the colors of the attributes are identical so you can't actually see growth. Player A is a senior and below him is player B, a freshman. If player A went up in awa/agg/con and down in str, player B will show those exact same colors even tho he trained something completely different)

On top of that, I got a new freshman center and he has nothing at all (see below). Methinks the pointers for freshman attributes are pointing to the wrong counter in the team array (or something like that).

Spoiler

SI

Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #208
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I noticed this with two of my guys too, SI - although one is a senior walk-on (the other is also a freshman) And both are centers.

It looks like they have stats, just no labels on the attributes themselves.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #209
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Might it be possible to get something on the Players page that tells us what they are currently training, rather than having to click into each player?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #210
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess we've reached the part of the TBB life cyle where things crash and burn. Games didn't run last night

Oh well. It was a fun run while it lasted

SI

Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #211
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bump?

SI

Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #212
Travis
Pro Rookie

Bump seconded, I was just starting to get some good players to work with!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #213
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Bumpity Bump. I invited a bunch of people from another forum. I hope it doesnt die so quickly.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #214
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, yeah.

I didn't really break it, I just forgot to turn it back on. It's pretty much falling by the wayside. The active user count was pretty much nil (less than 20 players have logged on in 2010, and I didn't see a single new sign on for the duration of season 2. Kind of hard to motivate myself to do much work on it with that little of interest, to be honest.

I may kick it back into gear at some point, but with the playerbase numbers so low, it's been highly meh.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote