Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Official 2010 NASCAR thread

What a finish, absolutely loved McMurray's reaction to the win.

Awful day with delay after delay but the finish made up for a whole lot of that.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Agreed. Still don't know how Junior finished 2nd, when he was in the middle of the pack all day.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Agreed. Still don't know how Junior finished 2nd, when he was in the middle of the pack all day.

First time I've seen him look like that in a long while, reminded me of the whole "seeing the air" legend about his dad.

I really feel bad for the guy in the post-race interview though, this should be a happy finish for him all things considered but there was no joy in it for him, just the disappointment. Even after all the talk about how happy he'd been all week, I just don't know how much enjoyment he really gets from all of it any more and that's sad.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I really feel bad for the guy in the post-race interview though, this should be a happy finish for him all things considered but there was no joy in it for him, just the disappointment. Even after all the talk about how happy he'd been all week, I just don't know how much enjoyment he really gets from all of it any more and that's sad.

I would not have been surprised at all to hear him say "Second place is just the first loser".
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

Helluva race, sucked having the track issues but all in all it was an exciting race to watch. Kudos for NASCAR taking the reigns off the drivers. Junior blowing through the middle on that last lap ..I swear to god I saw a black and silver flash in there somewhere, that move was SO much like his dad.

Huge win for DEI/Ganassi, HUGE win for McMurray who was out of a job until 2 months ago.

Johnson and Gordon finishing in the 30+ range and none of the JGR drivers crashing, really makes for a positive 500 for me!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

good race, but man all the track issues were stupid and sucked, wonder how many viewers they lost?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
good race, but man all the track issues were stupid and sucked, wonder how many viewers they lost?

Im sure a lot.

Last year had the rain shortened Daytona and this year had track issues. Tough way to bring in new fans for the season when these problems come up in their most watched event of the year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

The delay will definitely hurt (and possibly quite a bit) but typically they hold up better even during long delays than we might think. Simple truth is that there often isn't much on to pull a fan away to watch instead, even though I caught a nap during it my son stuck with 'em throughout not even dumping the race to play 360.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I kept switching back and forth between golf while it was on, after that though I left it on nascar.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think the big deal for them in terms of ratings would be whether they could manage, in spite of the long delays, to top last year's awful outing which saw the race drop below a 20 share for the first time in 21 years.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

Not a lot of reason to drop this year, even with the delays the racing itself was MUCH more exciting
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
path12
Coordinator

I find myself getting bored. It's not all that fun to see three different permutations of the final three laps.

It reminds me of the Clue movie with all the different endings. It really seems the wrecks have ramped up over the past five years, and I don't think it helps the sport much.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

According to a good friend who was at the race listening in on the scanner, at the conclusion McGrew said "good run" and apparently Jr replied, "The bitch won a 500...if I got there he was going out"

gotta admit I LOL'd when I heard that
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ouch.

Media Life Magazine - Fox's Daytona 500 hits a speed bump

After two race stoppages to repair damaged asphalt on the track delayed the race by roughly two and a half hours, ratings for the NASCAR season opener on Fox plunged 16 percent.

The race earned a 7.7 Nielsen overnight household rating and 16 share, down from a 9.2/19 last year.

The delay certainly impacted ratings, evidenced by the number of viewers who tuned in for at least 6 minutes of the race on Sunday.

That number was up 14 percent over last year, from 26.2 million to 29.8 million, suggesting that people were turning on the race and then switching away during the delays.

All told, the race lasted just over six hours, extending well into Fox's primetime. Nielsen did not include ratings for the delayed portions in its numbers.

From a longer story there's this tidbit
Daytona 500 Hits Ratings Pothole: Delays Lead To Smallest Nielsen Average Audience Since 2000 - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

Despite the delays, there were substantial ratings gains in key NASCAR markets including Atlanta (+11%; 11.0 vs. 9.9), Charlotte (+8%, 16.8 vs. 15.6), Norfolk (+7%, 12.2 vs. 11.4) and Ft. Myers (+12%, 10.0 vs. 8.9). Greensboro (NC) led all local markets with a 16.9/28. Charlotte 16.8/30; Greenville (SC), 16.6/27; Indianapolis, 16.0/28; Orlando, 15.4/29; Louisville, 13.3/22; Nashville, 13.1/21; Knoxville, 13.0, 19; Jacksonville, 12.8/22 and Dayton, 12.7/23 round out the top 10 metered markets.

Those numbers have to be encouraging to NASCAR as some of the traditional strongholds seem to have responded to some of the changes. I know that we've probably watched close to as many hours already this year as we did all of last season.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-16-2010 at 01:30 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'll admit to firing up the 360 during the delays, but I was keeping an eye on things online and turned it back on when the track issues had been fixed. They'd better have this figured out by the time July rolls around.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote