Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Any car enthusiasts in the house?

So we're doing some car shopping, and we're deciding between the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Volvo S-40. We're not very sure about the volvo since we'd be paying more money for a smaller car, but the salesman told us that the volvo is actually safer than the fusion, despite the fact that the safety ratings are better on the Fusion and Milan. He said that those tests are done at 25 mph, while the volvo is designed to be safer in high-speed collisions, and that those ratings are based on mathematical formulas, not their actual crash test experience.

Now, since this is a salesman, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I've been looking online to find something that can back up what he said, but every thing I look at for car safety just gives me the ratings. Does anyone know where I can find a site that shows what he's talking about? Or have any other advice concerning these cars?

Thanks!

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My first stop for research is always the independent edmunds.com.

Given Volvo's long-term obsession with safety, I'd say it's certainly possible the S40 has a greater set of safety features which would make it more safe in a greater number of situations than the Fusion. However, almost all cars these days are ridiculously safe, so I'm not sure if (personally) it's a meaningful differentiation criteria anymore.

You're paying more money for the S40, by the way, for the fact that it's a premium European "entry-luxury" vehicle. I'm a big Volvo fan, but given these three choices I'd probably take the Fusion, as I've heard great things about it and Ford of the past few years is one of the best automakers out there.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I think that the Volvo is safer only because once people get one, they drive slower than school buses. At least, that's my experience around here...I'd rather be behind a school bus than a Volvo.

I too would take the Fusion. A friend has the Milan, I think it's a piece of crap (it feels cheap and doesn't handle well in my times driving it, though I'm used to driving a much smaller car). I've never driven a Fusion but have heard repeated good things about it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Volvo is currently owned by Ford and has been owned by them for quite a few years. Most (if not all) of the safety improvements in the Volvo have been incorporated into the Fusion and Milan, so I would say they are probably on par with one another.

I have a 2009 Fusion and love it. I recommend spending the extra money to get the sync system - its worth every penny.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Only $500,000, make a deal.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
My first stop for research is always the independent edmunds.com.

Given Volvo's long-term obsession with safety, I'd say it's certainly possible the S40 has a greater set of safety features which would make it more safe in a greater number of situations than the Fusion. However, almost all cars these days are ridiculously safe, so I'm not sure if (personally) it's a meaningful differentiation criteria anymore.

You're paying more money for the S40, by the way, for the fact that it's a premium European "entry-luxury" vehicle. I'm a big Volvo fan, but given these three choices I'd probably take the Fusion, as I've heard great things about it and Ford of the past few years is one of the best automakers out there.

Thanks for the tip on edmunds -- I looked on there last night, but couldn't find anything other than the ratings and a list of features. You're probably right that both cars are very safe, though. I figure I'm definitely overpaying for the Volvo, but if it's significantly safer, I wouldn't mind overpaying (especially since we have a baby on the way). Also, the fact that it's smaller might be nice since we have a very small garage, and have to back into it from a very narrow alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I think that the Volvo is safer only because once people get one, they drive slower than school buses. At least, that's my experience around here...I'd rather be behind a school bus than a Volvo.

I too would take the Fusion. A friend has the Milan, I think it's a piece of crap (it feels cheap and doesn't handle well in my times driving it, though I'm used to driving a much smaller car). I've never driven a Fusion but have heard repeated good things about it.

/tk

What differences did you notice between the Fusion and Milan? Everything I've read and seen implies that they're the exact same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwardzala View Post
Volvo is currently owned by Ford and has been owned by them for quite a few years. Most (if not all) of the safety improvements in the Volvo have been incorporated into the Fusion and Milan, so I would say they are probably on par with one another.

I have a 2009 Fusion and love it. I recommend spending the extra money to get the sync system - its worth every penny.

We really want all wheel drive, which means it has to be an SEL, and the sync is standard on that. We'd probably get it anyway, and I'm excited about that. Do you have the voice activation, and does it work well? One downside of the Volvo is that you can't get that. Also, we're looking at getting the Blind Spot Information System, and maybe the navigation system, just so that there's a larger screen to display the blind spot info on (otherwise it just shows up on the rear view mirror.

But the fact that Volvo is now owned by Ford is another part of the puzzle for us. The reason we're considering these cars is because we have a Ford discount, and since the rumor is that they're trying to sell Volvo, this might be the last chance we have to get one.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
What differences did you notice between the Fusion and Milan? Everything I've read and seen implies that they're the exact same car.

Never driven the Fusion, so anything I "know" about it is secondhand, I've heard good things. My gripe with the Milan is that Mercury at least seems to be "upscale" Ford, and when I drove it (and when I've ridden in it), it didn't feel that way. My friend has one, it feels cheap on the interior (and stupid stuff has broken, like the lock switch on her passenger side). I haven't driven it too often, but every now and then, I have, and I feel like the Milan is kind of sluggish in terms of responsiveness, but then, I drive a Mazda 3, which is an entirely different feel of vehicle, so maybe my bias there is that I'm used to a smaller vehicle.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
The reason we're considering these cars is because we have a Ford discount, and since the rumor is that they're trying to sell Volvo, this might be the last chance we have to get one.

Ford has already agreed to sell Volvo to a Chinese company, the deal is expected to be finalised at some point before the summer.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Ford has already agreed to sell Volvo to a Chinese company, the deal is expected to be finalised at some point before the summer.

Well now, that's going to be a clash of cultures....
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
We really want all wheel drive, which means it has to be an SEL, and the sync is standard on that. We'd probably get it anyway, and I'm excited about that. Do you have the voice activation, and does it work well? One downside of the Volvo is that you can't get that. Also, we're looking at getting the Blind Spot Information System, and maybe the navigation system, just so that there's a larger screen to display the blind spot info on (otherwise it just shows up on the rear view mirror.

But the fact that Volvo is now owned by Ford is another part of the puzzle for us. The reason we're considering these cars is because we have a Ford discount, and since the rumor is that they're trying to sell Volvo, this might be the last chance we have to get one.

Yes, I have the voice activation. It works well and when it isn't sure what name you are trying to tell it, it will give you a list to pick from. The only beef I have with it is when trying to dial a phone number which is not in my address book in my phone, you have to state the phone number in its entirety without pausing. I rarely use that feature. You are also able to dial from the phone itself and it will connect through SYNC. Also you will seemlessly transfer calls to/from your car/phone when starting or shutting off the vehicle.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up signing up for Consumer Reports, and they rated the Fusion and Milan well above the S40 (84 to 60), plus they said this about the Volvo:

Quote:
It may prove difficult to get a secure fit for rear-facing child seats in the S40 when installing them using the seatbelts. Some rear-facing seats may easily tilt in the rear center and a seatbelt anchored forward of the seatback in the outboard seats may also prevent installing them securely.

Not cool. We were already leaning away from the Volvo anyway, since the stuff that their salesman told us seemed more like scare tactics based on Volvo's reputation rather than anything concrete that could be backed up. So we're going with the Fusion.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

FWIW - That Consumer Reports sign-up (I assume you mean web) will pay for itself a million times over for many things besides this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The S40, if relatively new, should have the LATCH system for installing child seats, so securing them using a seatbelt should be unnecessary.

Unless you're planning to install the car seat in the rear middle position - since many vehicles only have LATCH (also called ISOFIX on some European cars) for the rear left & right seating positions.

A number of people prefer to install in that position because the child is then furthest from potential side impacts. In my opinion, however, this danger is mitigated by a) side airbags, b) car seats with side impact protection and c) the fact that LATCH is way, way more secure than securing by seat belt.

Pass - if you're in Chicagoland and it would be helpful, I could meet up with you sometime and show you what I'm talking about.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I once again push the Fusion (what I wound up buying - the V6 SEL). Extremely impressed with it in every way shape and form.

Hell, if you're still in Chicagoland, Pass, you can come down my way and drive mine.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
The S40, if relatively new, should have the LATCH system for installing child seats, so securing them using a seatbelt should be unnecessary.

Unless you're planning to install the car seat in the rear middle position - since many vehicles only have LATCH (also called ISOFIX on some European cars) for the rear left & right seating positions.

A number of people prefer to install in that position because the child is then furthest from potential side impacts. In my opinion, however, this danger is mitigated by a) side airbags, b) car seats with side impact protection and c) the fact that LATCH is way, way more secure than securing by seat belt.

Pass - if you're in Chicagoland and it would be helpful, I could meet up with you sometime and show you what I'm talking about.

Yep -- it hit me later that they were just talking about belts, and therefore not the LATCH system. I've been assuming that I'll use latch so much that I didn't even think about the difference. But that is another advantage of the Fusion -- it has latch in three spots. You're probably right that the side is okay, and we've figured that we'll use the middle when he's the only one in the back, but we'd also be okay with moving him to the side if someone else is back there.

CW -- Thanks! I'm actually pretty well decided on the Fusion (V6 SEL also, mainly since we had to do that to get all wheel drive). They found a car for us last night somewhere in Wisconsin, and they said it should be here in a couple days or so. Now the next challenge will be the trade-in...
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The LATCH system is awesome. Our newer car has it while our older car doesn't. The difference in installing car seats between the two is night and day.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
The LATCH system is awesome. Our newer car has it while our older car doesn't. The difference in installing car seats between the two is night and day.

Good to hear. We were thinking we'd have to order and wait 6 to 8 weeks to get the car we wanted, which meant we'd likely have to use our 2001 Mustang to go home from the hospital and for a little while after the baby is born. It'll be nice to deal with the LATCH system only now.