Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #51
Logan
Head Coach

I really didn't see how Facebook would emerge and expand dating back to the days when it was limited to a small group of colleges and it was all about finding creative methods to hook up with girls.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think this has a lot to do with older people who have ore time on their hands joining up. My In-Laws joined about 6-8 months ago and they are constantly playing those stupid games.

Eh, I dunno about that. Out of 153 people currently on my list, roughly half of them are game active to some extent, over a third of them play at least one of the biggies, and about 1/5th play anywhere from a half dozen to two dozen of them same as I do.

Of those, only three are over 60, less than a dozen are over 50, and virtually all the rest are 30-49. My wife (who has zero interest in the games) has similar results with an older age skew for her friends list but the same sort of breakout for the games. And there's very little duplication on our lists, so that isn't skewing it.

Unless we know an really unusual crop of roughly 300 people between us, I'd say there's definitely a sweet spot for the games somewhere between the mid 30's and mid 40's.

And you damned well better not be referring to those groups as "older people"
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #53
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Compared to the average facebook user I would certainly think they are.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Compared to the average facebook user I would certainly think they are.

Here ya go, and these are from June 09. Assuming the steady trend has continued since then, 35-44 is likely the largest single demographic cell on FB by now.
The Average Age of Facebook Users Rises in May - This while the social networking site gains even more overall market share - Softpedia

As Facebook is growing, first becoming the largest social network in the world and finally surpassing MySpace in the US in May, it looks like the age of its users is growing with it. A new Hitwise report shows that the average age of the Facebook user has gone up with those between 25 and 44 years old, now making up more than half of the social network's user base, growing from just 32 percent a year ago.

This continues the trend of older users signing up for the service, as the rise has been apparent since March, when the numbers of users over 35 doubled over the previous two months and when the majority of Facebook users were already over 25. In one year, from May 2008, the 18-24 year old segment decreased as a percentage of the whole Facebook demographic from 38.55 percent of the visits to just 19.40 percent. This while those between 24-34 years old grew 12 percent to 27.34 percent of the visits, and those between 35-44 years old grew from 17.20 percent to 24.78.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-09-2010 at 01:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #55
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

That actually sounds familiar. I stand corrected.

Though I've found the older the person the more likely they are to have a page but never utilize it.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #56
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Though I've found the older the person the more likely they are to have a page but never utilize it.

I've found exactly the opposite. Younger users are far more likely to have something interesting to do than us old folk.

Neither one of us knows enough people to have any idea of the real story.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm just sad that I have about 7 months and change of being in the ever important 18-34 demographic. When did I get old?

And I would probably play trukz or something similar if it was on Facebook.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh goody ... I now have the new layout as of just before 3pm. Had a meeting about that time so I haven't had a chance to screw around with it yet.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #59
JediKooter
Coordinator

New layout hit mine and it's all dicked up now. People's updates and posts have disappeared and when I hit refresh, you briefly see them and then they go away. Nice...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
New layout hit mine and it's all dicked up now. People's updates and posts have disappeared and when I hit refresh, you briefly see them and then they go away. Nice...

Same thing that was happening to me (and others apparently) even before we got hit with the new layout.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #61
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'll echo that I've had missing/reappearing updates.

edit: Both before the update and after. Seemed to start when the rollout began, though.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 02-09-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #62
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I joined Facebook a year ago. I've never not experienced this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll echo that I've had missing/reappearing updates.

edit: Both before the update and after. Seemed to start when the rollout began, though.

Oh yeah, definitely saw that for the first time as they began the rollout (although I may have given a different impression with the previous post)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #64
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have the new layout, don't really care one way or the other about the layout. But I'm annoyed with missing posts, or changing posts (disappearing and reappearing, comments disappearing and reappearing), as well as issues with photos. Been having issues uploading directly to FB, and at one point on Sunday, I couldn't find any of MY albums, only those of my friends.

I don't really spend much time on FB, so it's hard to worry too much, but it's very noticeable when things break.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #65
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Same thing that was happening to me (and others apparently) even before we got hit with the new layout.

Maybe I didn't notice as much before, but now...holy crap it's bad. I actually dont mind the layout, it's the functionality that is messed up to me. I still can't respond to requests, before or after this change.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #66
JediKooter
Coordinator

Great. Now I can't even freaking comment on someone's post...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still can't respond to requests, before or after this change.

Well if it's any consolation to you, that problem has existed for roughly two years at least.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Great. Now I can't even freaking comment on someone's post...

Okay, sounds like it's time to log out, maybe even reboot and see if that helps.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #69
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well if it's any consolation to you, that problem has existed for roughly two years at least.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Yea, for some reason (I use Firefox) Facebook stopped allowing me to accept requests about 3 months ago, when I was perfectly able to before. Could be an updated version of Firefox screwed it up, not sure though. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #70
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I've got the new layout. One thing that annoys me about it is that the lower left corner tells me who of my friends are online, but I keep my chat window open on the lower right corner, so the same info is taking up a lot of space in two places on the screen.

Also, I routinely miss other people's status updates, in both layouts.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #71
Izulde
Head Coach

Did they take the notifications out? I can't find them.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #72
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's the globe right to the left of the search box.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #73
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks. Kind of annoying having them there, especially since it wasn't lit up with the number of new notifications.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My mobile Facebook is now screwed.

"no stream post available"

Wtf. And I hate it when I check this shit all the time. But then I never see friends update for months on end. I click on their page and they've been posting all along. This site is too annoying.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #75
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well I can't find the option to turn off things like "receive an update in news feed when a friend comments on a non-friend's items"...

Only thing I see for my Account settings is when to receive e-mail notifications for certain things, and that doesn't include the above item either. Oh and that appears to be broken too, since I had a wall post four hours ago and still no e-mail notification of it.

If I click on something like "Friend X commented on NonFriend Y's picture," it just gives me the option to hide Friend X... which is not what I want.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #76
Rizon
Pro Starter

It's all pretty fucked up at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #77
MikeVic
Head Coach

With the old layout, I was able to drag what I wanted on my main page. I know I changed it from the default to something else that only showed what I wanted... and now I can't seem to drag a different main page option, which seems like lost functionality to me right now.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #78
cuervo72
Head Coach

Told y'all the new version was frustrating.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Well I can't find the option to turn off things like "receive an update in news feed when a friend comments on a non-friend's items"...

Only thing I see for my Account settings is when to receive e-mail notifications for certain things, and that doesn't include the above item either. Oh and that appears to be broken too, since I had a wall post four hours ago and still no e-mail notification of it.

If I click on something like "Friend X commented on NonFriend Y's picture," it just gives me the option to hide Friend X... which is not what I want.

I think the current structure gives control of that to Friend X rather than to you.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #80
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Google is going to try to get into the "facebook/myspace" world. Just saw some advertisements for Google "Buzz" which looks to be pretty much the same exact thing as facebook minus the games.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Looks like Google is going to try to get into the "facebook/myspace" world. Just saw some advertisements for Google "Buzz" which looks to be pretty much the same exact thing as facebook minus the games.

Yep, saw that yesterday. At first blush their advantage is having it built into Gmail, giving them an instant base as well as a way for some people to get around social media restrictions at work. After a few minutes of thinking about it I saw that as a potential downside as well, as you could pretty well kill the usefulness of a Gmail account by flooding it with Buzz stuff.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #82
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Buzz is strange as most people I'd wager have their Gmail contacts as Facebook friends. The flooding the inbox is sucky too (though there is a work around - create a label:buzz and banish it from the inbox). It appears to be a low powered Facebook status update replicator. But a lot of people who may dislike all the games and quizzes, like the photos of facebook.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #83
chadritt
High School Varsity

There is a button at the bottom of the screen marked "turn off buzz" but its really hard to find if you dont already know its there.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #84
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I checked out google buzz a little. It automatically had me follow some people (maybe everyone in my contacts who had already tried google buzz?). Then I added a few others. After a few hours, no one has posted anything.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #85
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What you can do instead of just "turn off buzz" is go into "create a filter" by the search bar at top, then in "Has the words:" put "label: Buzz" and then at the next page, click "Skip the Inbox", so it'll go straight to archives.

I also have my Buzz linked with Twitter... so if I tweet, I update my facebook status and my Buzz status (but not the other way around). Works for me.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

interesting thing i just verified - for those with 250+ friends...

passing this along.... did you ever wonder why you don't see news feeds from all your friends..well...this is from a friend..Facebook is blocking all of your friends' news feeds except the 250 they randomly choose. To Undo, From HOME page, select MOST RECENT then scroll to bottom of page, click "Edit Options" (bottom right side). Type 5000 instead of 250 for FB's maximum friend limit & your feed will work again.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #87
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It appears to be a low powered Facebook status update replicator. But a lot of people who may dislike all the games and quizzes, like the photos of facebook.

Seems more like a high-powered twitter to me.

Anyway, since no one I was following had any posts, I followed you to see if your old posts would show up on my feed. They did, so I guess no one I'm following has ever posted anything yet.