Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Fun stuff to do in NYC this weekend 1/29 - 1/31

Taking my girlfriend to NYC this weekend and I'm looking for fun/interesting things to do and a great place to stay. We'd like to do this on a tight budget if possible though I would make an exception if the activity is right.

Different is good.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

I'm going to be in Atlantic City with my roommates this weekend so I haven't really been keeping an eye on anything different that will be going on, but try to expound a little more. Are you looking for touristy type stuff? What sort of food do you like? Planning on going out to drink?

Hotels might be pricey on short notice.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Bonegavel

We are a "wing it" type of couple but want some structure since this is a precious "we both don't have our kids weekend" which doesn't happen all that often and we want to make the most of it.

Touristy could be good. Fun things to go look at. Museum (not natural history) could be good. Shopping could be good. Could be nice to do something that is off the beaten path in terms of activity (not location). Neat things you've done in NY that you would recommend to friends.

Great place to eat for dinner would be high on my list (this might be most important).

Also tips would be nice... like taxi advice, subway, etc.

I'm thinking about parking in NJ and taking the train.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
We are a "wing it" type of couple but want some structure since this is a precious "we both don't have our kids weekend" which doesn't happen all that often and we want to make the most of it.

Touristy could be good. Fun things to go look at. Museum (not natural history) could be good. Shopping could be good. Could be nice to do something that is off the beaten path in terms of activity (not location). Neat things you've done in NY that you would recommend to friends.

Great place to eat for dinner would be high on my list (this might be most important).

Also tips would be nice... like taxi advice, subway, etc.

I'm thinking about parking in NJ and taking the train.

There's some hotels near the Newark airport that aren't too bad and relatively cheap. I think I paid $79/night at a Holliday Inn. Public transport available nearby.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Jon
High School Varsity

If you like walking tours, this is really fun. I took this a few months ago and had a blast..

hxxp://www.scottspizzatours.com/
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Bonegavel

Tentatively staying in the Grand Central area probably on Park Ave. Going to hit St Patrick's Cathedral on Madison. There are a few cafe's in the area I'm looking at and maybe swinging up to the MET. I'd rather do something other than the MET but that isn't a bad Plan B. Then stroll 5th Ave for some window shopping. Topping it off with dinner at location X.

That is Saturday plan at this point...

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

That's a good centralized place to stay (are you at the Grand Hyatt?). The first thing you should do is check out some threads people have already posted about coming here. Off the top of my head I know Chief Rum and GoldenEagle have been up here over the past couple years, and I along with others have given some good suggestions about things to do.

If you're planning on hitting St. Patrick's, I would keep walking up Madison and make your way to Central Park. Do a walk through there...even in the winter, it's still very nice. You can spend as much or as little time there as you want, and it's free. If you get adventurous in your walking, you'll be up to the Museum of Art and/or the Guggenheim. My opinion, better to just do a quick walk by the building than to spend the whole day, with such limited time on your trip, inside.

Either before or after you go through Central Park, there's a great little Italian cafe type place outside the park on the SE edge, right on the corner of 59th and 5th called Bottega Del Vino (it's right by the Apple Store which could be a cool quick walk thru also). I've never had a full meal there personally, but know people who have and they've loved it. But at the least, it's a great spot to go for a coffee/cappuccino and some of their pastries. They're delicious and extremely authentic from what I hear. On the way back from Central Park, you can walk south down 5th ave towards your hotel and do your window shopping. Relax a bit and then go for dinner.

About to run into a meeting...if you want to list a couple desired food types I'll do my best to give a recommendation.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Ramzavail
College Starter

Patsy's is the best italian restaurant in the city, IMO, a tad expensive but well worth it. You'll need reservations. Google it.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

What do you like? I'll check Time Out New York & see what's going on. The sad thing is I live here and have no idea what there is to do other than maybe clean my apartment on Sunday.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A show is always fun and if you are on a budget there is a booth in Times Square that sells half price tickets for same day shows.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Ramzavail
College Starter

right, I was going to suggest that.

The Broadway shows I've seen that are worth seeing.

Wicked
Lion King
South Pacific (Lincoln Theatre)
In the Heights
Jersey Boys
Chicago
Rock of Ages
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
Bonegavel

We hashed it out last night and we're going up Friday night and we're going to hit the discount ticket booth in Times Square. We wanted to see Wicked but that is sold out so we're just going to hit the ticket booth and see what we can get "on the cheap."

If the Theater doesn't work out as we planned we are just going to do a nice dinner and try and find a quaint little bar somewhere with live entertainment and fill the in between time with window shopping and cafe munching. So far so good.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

We stayed at the Econo Lodge which was right next to Times Square. My wife and I talked about going back up there again this year, but that it will probably get pushed to 2011.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don't see West Side Story. We went on Sat night and it was very average and we were both disappointed. In The Heights seems very intruiging, wish we had seen that instead. Plus it's a bit cheaper than some of the more established options. Should be available at the TKTS booth for 50% off

We went to Lombardi's in Little Italy before we left, pretty good Pizza and has a good rep from what I read about it. Not really a place for a special meal out but the food was good all the same. It's a block from the Spring St subway station.

Last edited by bhlloy : 01-27-2010 at 09:40 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
We hashed it out last night and we're going up Friday night and we're going to hit the discount ticket booth in Times Square. We wanted to see Wicked but that is sold out so we're just going to hit the ticket booth and see what we can get "on the cheap."

If the Theater doesn't work out as we planned we are just going to do a nice dinner and try and find a quaint little bar somewhere with live entertainment and fill the in between time with window shopping and cafe munching. So far so good.

I think the ticket booth has a web site, they open at a certain time and you will want to get there when it opens.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would strongly recommend at least 30 mins early. We got there at 2:30 and were towards the back of the first line. By 3 the line had doubled back 4 or 5 times and although we got tickets to our first choice, we didn't get the area we wanted and had to pay for more expensive seats. Can't imagine the people towards the back of the line got what they wanted at all.

Also top of the rock is very expensive ($21 each) but the view is absolutely breathtaking. My wife wasn't happy about it until we got up there but now she thinks it was the best money we spent on the whole trip
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
Ramzavail
College Starter

Yes, Top of the rock is very expensive and yes the view is great, but maybe b/c I grew up in NYC/Long Island, I didn't think it was worth it at all. But maybe from someone who isn't from the area might.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
Bonegavel

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

We arrived 830 Friday night and walked all the way up to the TKTS booth in Times Square to scout out where we needed to be in the AM. Stopped at a random Irish Pub (can't swing a stick without hitting one of those in the area), did some shopping, and then headed back to the Hotel for drinks. Was cold to say the least.

Got up Saturday morning and made it to the ticket booth and selected Mama Mia. What a great show! Hit Maxie's for breakfast and shopped a bit. After the show we shopped a bit more and headed back to the hotel (70 Park Ave). We spotted a great looking Greek restaurant (Ammos) where we later had dinner. Fantastic.

Headed back to the hotel and drank a bit in the hotel bar before heading off to bed.

Got up early Sunday to get my car from the valet and parked it on the street in front of the hotel so I didn't have to pay an extra day to park. Walked to Macy's down on 34th and then headed home.

Overall great weekend and there was plenty to do in such a small geographic area.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sounds like you did things the right way!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Ramzavail
College Starter

nice, and don't lie, you sang ABBA all the way home.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
nice, and don't lie, you sang ABBA all the way home.

Absolutely, I did even though it was 18 degrees and I was freezing cold as we walked back to the hotel.