Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Trade Wars 2002

I don't know if any of you frequented BBSs and played doors, but a friend of mine received this email:

Quote:
Dear Trade Wars fan,

As we approach the 20th anniversary of the original release of Trade Wars (December, 1986), I am pleased to announce that I have reached an agreement with Sylien Entertainment to develop a long-overdue graphical remake of this classic game. But before we can proceed, we need your help. Because Trade Wars is 20 years old, I have lost touch with all but a small percentage of its fanbase. Unless we can reach out to this fanbase and prove that interest in Trade Wars still exists, we will be unable to secure the funding necessary to complete this project.

To accomplish this, we are running a small survey to estimate the number of people who have played or hosted Trade Wars over the years. By answering this one-question survey, you will enable us to demonstrate the great potential of a new Trade Wars project. Nothing else will be required of you, but if you choose, you may request to receive a monthly Trade Wars newsletter with updates on our progress. And if you really want to help out, you can complete an optional, more extensive survey. We would love to learn more about your experience with Trade Wars.

The survey is located at http://www.sylien.com/survey.php

For this effort to succeed, I need you to forward this email to anyone who might be in contact with a past Trade Wars player or game host. Most of them have been away from the game for many years, and this is our only hope of reaching them.

Thank you for helping us to update this classic game for a new generation of gamers!

John Pritchett, EIS
[email protected]

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Snet!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Got this e-mail today:

Quote:
TRADE WARS REVOLUTION OPEN BETA, Official Announcement

Sylien is proud to present the first public BETA version of Trade Wars Revolution !

You will see:
- New graphics and animations
- Original musical scores and music player
- Winning conditions
- Free game play including trading, colonizing, exploration and more to come ....

Be among those who help us test the game and refine it further into something great. Keep up to date with the elements that are still missing. We're integrating new functions every day.

Register into the game and play at www.tradewars.com

WHAT'S NEXT ?

Well, at these early stages of development, there is still lots to do and the game is still not complete... yet. Now we need you guys and gals to get in there, play and tell us what you think. This is very important, because we want to make sure Trade Wars Revolution has all the elements of a hit game.

Don't worry about cost 'cause it is completely FREE to play. All options will remain FREE until the eventual Full release date which will be some weeks away....

Watch as the game's development, graphics and sounds improve and change over time until we get it right. Expect more dynamic play to be introduced at a later date, wireless access and also our patented Hyper “modding” Tool which will allow players to create their own version of the game in a pinch without any sort of download.

To play, do the same as above, register at www.tradewars.com

NEXT INSTALLMENT

Very soon (it won't take 2 months) we will issue another newsletter to you detailing a very exciting promotion that we call the Pioneer Referral Program in which players who have been helping us out for the last while, those who have prevailed in the TW2002 License Key promo of Nov-Dec 2006 and those who choose to refer us bunches of players will gain real benefits with us. It is a way for us to thank everyone who is helping out in one way or another with this project.

We'll not only give you details on this but we'll also be able to give you much more details on our progress towards an official complete product public release.

Now go Join a game and play !

Sylvain “Lehmund” Rochon
The Master of “The Hand”

To unsubscribe from this Newsletter, simply send a blank e-mail to [email protected] with the subject heading Remove

I haven't signed up yet as I have a crazy week, but I hope to check later this week or this weekend at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

God, i loved me some tradewars back in the day..

there was a football door game as well that was pretty sweet..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

I never played Trade Wars back in the BBS days, but I loved Planets:TEOS door game. I believe it was made by the same dude that made LORD, Seth Able.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Just tried this out a bit - so far it seems pretty similar to the door game... I seem to have gotten stuck though, so I posted on the beta forums.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

Tradewars as an amazing game. I didn't see this post the first time around. Thanks for the update!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Vasst majority of the features aren't in the game yet.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

What the heck is a door game?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Vasst majority of the features aren't in the game yet.
Yeah, this is very much a beta it would appear.. you can basically trade and load stuff onto your planet.. and attack, but no buying ships or many other things... if you believe what he posted in the forum a large majority of the stuff is built on the back-end and it's just a matter of getting it implemented in-game.

I'm going to play it simply to support the effort of getting the game I loved so much out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
What the heck is a door game?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_games

And for Tradewars - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TradeWars_2002

Quote:
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
Brillig
College Prospect

This thread started up the old Nostalgia Engine. Anyone here ever play Starweb? I looked it up, and amazingly, they're still running it. Although who knows if they're actually getting people to pay to play it.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

If anyone wants to see what the old school tradewars looks like I can put it up on my computer and run a game.

Unfortunately I don't have a registered copy of the server, so it's just the demo.

Although if there was actually some desire for a tradewars server I would consider purchasing a registration for us to use...
Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have no idea about these games, but i did have a strange desire to play Police Quest the other day, and i haven't thought of that game in 16 years or so.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
If anyone wants to see what the old school tradewars looks like I can put it up on my computer and run a game.

Unfortunately I don't have a registered copy of the server, so it's just the demo.

Although if there was actually some desire for a tradewars server I would consider purchasing a registration for us to use...

Hmm... I had a registration for tradewars at one time.. I wonder if there is any possible way to get it again...

I'd certainly be up for a play...

Quote:
Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
This thread started up the old Nostalgia Engine. Anyone here ever play Starweb? I looked it up, and amazingly, they're still running it. Although who knows if they're actually getting people to pay to play it.

I played Starweb a couple times back in the day. Fun stuff.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A friend of mine's brother ran a BBS in Houston and even made a doors game (Uncertia) back in the day. Good times

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-20-2007 at 10:31 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Hmmm.. the game has come around some, but is still very much in beta. I hope things start to progress soon.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

buddy just convinced me to try this BBS game (Trade Wars 2002) out, wildly addictive... so i did a FOFC search and what do you know!
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And I'm still off and on working on a MUD, for double the nostalgia.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So what's the phone number to the BBS that has this game on it? And how many phone lines does the BBS have? I hope it has at least 4 lines, and then maybe there will be a hot chick on there to teleconference with. I just hope she doesn't have her pages turned off.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk00 View Post
buddy just convinced me to try this BBS game (Trade Wars 2002) out, wildly addictive... so i did a FOFC search and what do you know!

The BBS version or the new web based version?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #22
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
The BBS version or the new web based version?

BBS, buddy set up a server couple of weeks ago.
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
Philliesfan980
Banned

Wow, that's hardcore. I know Telnet BBS's were more popular around the early 2000's when high speed connections first became widly available, but I think they died out pretty quickly when everyone realized it was much easier to post messages in these types of forums, and play other Web based games than doors.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love BBS's (I was a SysOp for about 5 years), but they are about 500X more clunky than any interface today. Fun times though, that's for sure.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote