Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Brand New Computer (Without a Computer for six years!)

A local lady I know through my mother asked me to stop by tomorrow to basically explain her laptop to her. She is close to fifty years old, and told me that this is her first computer in about six years. I really think she just didn't give a shit and is kind of hesitant of new technology. Figures she didn't have a computer growing up why does she need one now.

Well, her son decided it's time for ma to get a computer so he mailed her a new laptop with Windows 7. Being as that I'm really the only person she knows that is tech savy she has asked me to help her out. She had the cable people come yesterday to hook up broadband. She never really told me what she expected from me so I figure it's just that she is unsure of what to do so I figure I will just go give her a crash course. Problem is, I don't really know what to say or do. I've never been really good at teaching people concepts that are extremely basic and simple to me. Basically I am asking you guys if you were me what would you do? What are the essential files I need to give her and explain to her how to use? Should I write down like.. monthly maintanence she should do?

It's going to be interesting. I still use XP, and I never really even messed around with Vista. Let alone Windows 7.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

browser

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Set things up so all she has to do is open a browser and setup favourite links to things which she likes/you think she'll like and 'try' to explain the concept of google to her ... thats about it, if she picks that up or shows an interest hook her up with a free email account ..

(basically take it slow and let her show you what she wants if possible, often I've found older people want to use a PC as a black box like a tv initially - turn it on, do something, turn it off .. once they're used to it and get into browsing around then they tend to be open to learning a little more sometimes, but often they're just content with knowing a niche)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-02-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Make Facebook her homepage, sign her up for an account, and run out the door.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Set things up so all she has to do is open a browser and setup favourite links to things which she likes/you think she'll like and 'try' to explain the concept of google to her ... thats about it, if she picks that up or shows an interest hook her up with a free email account ..

(basically take it slow and let her show you what she wants if possible, often I've found older people want to use a PC as a black box like a tv initially - turn it on, do something, turn it off .. once they're used to it and get into browsing around then they tend to be open to learning a little more sometimes, but often they're just content with knowing a niche)

what do you suggest in regards to teaching her about anti-virus, firewall, etc?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

nothing, just set one up and set it to auto scan while she's asleep. Shoot maybe dont even tell her its on there. I highly doubt she'll be going anywhere to get one...

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote