Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2010 Australian Open Thread

Justine Henin comes back a set down on that 20-year old Russian, who clearly got beat by the heat and then lost her resolve despite a power game.

Now Gael Monfils is playing the American John Isner and Isner cruised in the 1st set, but now they're battling in the 2nd.

Anyone watching the Aussie Open?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Watched the last 2 sets of the Henin match last night. Impressive comeback. Rest of it is on past my bedtime.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Serena Williams is making short work of this Australian Stosur. Up a set and a break in the 2nd. Stosur isn't a pushover, 13th in the world I believe and clearly the talent to win a grand slam someday. But I don't think Serena is going to have advancing.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-25-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Stosur is griding in the 2nd set with the home crowd behind her, should be interesting if she can steal a 2nd set away.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

12 of 14 points scored on 2nd serve by Serena Williams, she's up 4-2 in the 2nd set. Roger Federer is up next against Hewitt.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tsonga-Almagro gets turned back on, keeping me up.

Tsonga up 2 sets to 1, never played a five-set match in his career and is now in a 4th set tiebreaker. Seems he's trying to overdo it.

This 4th set tiebreaker is intense, Almagro is a grinder and replay has REALLY changed the way the game is play. Almagro forces a 5th set by winning 8-6 in the tiebreaker. He's doing a lot of things to keep Tsonga out of his comfort zone. Oh well.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-25-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Best match you won't see, Tsonga-Almagro. 6-6 in the 5th set. No 5th set tiebreak at Grand Slams (other than the US Open) So we might be here a while.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tsonga ends up winning 9-7 in the 5th set, but Almagro put on a hell of a show. If you have ESPN360, check out the replay of this, even knowing the result it was a heck of a show.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
miked
College Starter

I'm more shocked by seeing Venus's ass every time she serves. Skin color undergarments FTL! Otherwise, great matches yesterday from Roddick and Venus, I hope Justine Henin gets herpes and has to withdraw.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Roddick comes from two sets down to force a fifth set against Cilic. After this I'll be falling asleep but Nadal - Murray should be a good one too.

Last edited by Big Fo : 01-26-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm more shocked by seeing Venus's ass every time she serves. Skin color undergarments FTL! Otherwise, great matches yesterday from Roddick and Venus, I hope Justine Henin herpes futher breaks out to a infectious quarantine level and has to withdraw.

Fixed.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Any FOFCers want to try out for the US Open? Bode Miller is giving it a shot.

Cool idea imo, the USGA does something similar with the US Open golf tournament, thousands of people try out for that.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I read that earlier and loved the idea. The USGA deal requires you to have a certain handicap, whereas this would theoretically take anyone, though I imagine the yahoos will get whittled out fairly quickly.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Meanwhile, Venus Williams who was just 2 points from winning in the 2nd set is about to go down to a Chinese player, who has just hung with her. Venus is playing awful. I think playing doubles with her sister is probably doing her more harm than good in situations like this. She probably needs to chill out.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Li Na and Zheng Jie make the semi-finals, the first time two Chinese women make a grand slam semi. Now Serena is on next and she's been playing out of her mind, so it'll be interesting if that keeps up.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Newsflash: Roger Federer is really good.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 AM   #17
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Newsflash: Roger Federer is really good.

Its funny that some people have started to doubt him a bit. His mental game is so strong that he has all but basically Nadal beat before the match even starts.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Serena Williams just won her 5th Aussie Open and 12th career grand slam.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Williams v. Henin was a good match, Serena looked shaky after losing like 15 straight points from the end of the second set to the start of the first but she got her serve back midway through the third set (one love game Henin couldn't return three or four serves) and Henin had a few double faults and unforced errors in her third set service games. Some of the winners Henin hit were just awesome though, it's nice that she's back. There's not that many top level women players right now.

I'd like to stay up and watch the men's final tonight but if it goes four or five sets it might be difficult to do that and wake up for Arsenal-Man Utd on Sunday morning. I don't like either Federer or Murray, I hope Murray wins because he's the underdog and so when I watch Wimbledon I don't have to hear all about how the Brits haven't had a guy win a Grand Slam since the printing press was invented or whenever it was.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Roger Federer tennis clinic is now complete. That said, Murray gave it his all I think and really in that tiebreaker he tried to do what he could. But bottom line is, Federer is just on a completely different level.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #21
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The Roger Federer tennis clinic is now complete. That said, Murray gave it his all I think and really in that tiebreaker he tried to do what he could. But bottom line is, Federer is just on a completely different level.

I didnt watch it but I am surprised it only lasted 3 sets the way Murray had been playing. I expected to wake up this morning and be able to watch a set. The start to the Davy match must have really sparked Nadal because he was simply unbeatable after that.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote