Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Scorpions retire

I have to laugh at the final album with a supporting final tour "over the next few years"

I do hope they come to Phoenix though, I never thought these guys got enough credit for the influence they provided for countless metal artists in the 80's while they basically basically played in obscurity for well over a decade before the release of Lovedrive. One of my favorite metal bands ever and I would put Animal Magnetism and Blackout up against any Metal albums ever.

Of course the article doesn't even acknowledge any of their early work, which was a lot better than the 90's stuff they talk about IMO. I wonder if some of the folks that write these articles have ever even heard the music they write about.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...4040&GT1=28102

Quote:
BERLIN (AP) -- The German rock band Scorpions is bringing down the curtain on a career spanning more than four decades.

The band, known for its early 1990s hit "Wind of Change" among others, said on its Web site Sunday that "we agree we have reached the end of the road."

It said it would end its career with a final album — "Sting In The Tail," to be released in March — and a tour that will start in Germany in May and take it across the world "over the next few years."

Guitarist Rudolf Schenker founded the band in Hannover in 1965. Singer Klaus Meine joined a few years later. Both men are 61.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Convinced a moment of good fortune and Still Loving You on the radio got me laid.

/pour 40
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 01-24-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In their case it's probably time. Hopefully the final album will be a testament to the greatness that was for so long & not a reminder of how bad they had become over the last decade.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't know about their most recent, but the one before that - Unbreakable - was a pretty good album. They were one of the better live acts that I've seen.

but yeah, it's time.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

"The band, known for its early 1990s hit "Wind of Change"

Sorry, but I'd prefer to forget they did that song.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

My first concert when I was 16. That was 28 years ago. 1983s "Rock Me Like a Hurricane."
Bon Jovi opened for them.

Sad to see them retire. I must be getting old.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And yet The Who are playing at halftime of the Super Bowl.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
My first concert when I was 16. That was 28 years ago. 1983s "Rock Me Like a Hurricane." Bon Jovi opened for them.

Oh shit, that was my first arena concert as well. The Omni in Atlanta in my case. At that point Bon Jovi had a grand total of one single, Runaway.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And yet The Who are playing at halftime of the Super Bowl.

really? first I heard of that
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Samples of two songs from the forthcoming album are available on the band's official MySpace page

http://www.myspace.com/officialscorpions

Raised on Rock might be a fitting farewell, I'm not sold on The Good Die Young after a couple of samples but it could grow on me.