Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yawn. A guy who creates a movie with a few interactive sequences thrown in favors a console with a bigger drive? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Well, it's certainly no 'giant crab' reference..........

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

List of Gamestop locations for midnight launch is now available.......

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/m...S4Midnight.pdf
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #53
Calis
College Starter

Just picked it up at Best Buy. Doubt I get to play it until this weekend or Monday though. I grabbed a Dualshock 3 while I was there as well.

I decided to give the series one last try and rented MGS3 on Monday. I ended up binging on the thing, really enjoyed it. I find it about 100x more enjoyable than the 2nd one which really turned me off on the series. Still a lot of cutscenes and watching the game, but it seemed tighter overall to me, and more interesting in general..better than the endless dialogs about nothing(Looking at you Raiden/Rose) from 2.

It also helped after finishing 3 to watch the remix cutscenes which let me realize that the guys making this do realize how absurd the game is at times, and can make fun of it themselves.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Early reviews are starting to trickle out. Frank Caron from Ars Technica says he's about 4 hours in, and only about an hour of that so far is actual gameplay. The other 3 hours are cut scenes.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...-in-four-hours
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #55
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Just got back from Wal-Mart with my MGS4 bundle, holy hell it took them awhile to get my giftcard working.

All these reviewers sitting there with their stopwatches just amuse me, it's become almost as bad as forum users counting pixels in various PS360 games. Ugh.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #56
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
All these reviewers sitting there with their stopwatches just amuse me, it's become almost as bad as forum users counting pixels in various PS360 games. Ugh.

Well there is a similarity between 576P and 720P. In both you are actually PLAYING the game...

Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #57
cartman
Death Herald

In other news, it turns out the Amazon outage last week wasn't due to the MGS bundle, but rather a bot attack on IMDB, which is owned by Amazon and is hosted in the same data centers as the e-commerce site. The bots launched a DDOS attack that bombarded the site with requests for images.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...mazon_outages/
Old 06-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #58
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Just got back from Wal-Mart with my MGS4 bundle, holy hell it took them awhile to get my giftcard working.

It also amazes me that people get up in arms about it. What the hell do you expect? They were incredibly story/dialog heavy before, and with the technology advancing at the rate it has since even the PS2 of course Kojima is going to take it to another extreme. I don't know why people that hated it before would think this one would be any different.

It's really a love it or hate it game, and honestly I'm surprised they sell as well as they do.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #59
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Aw man, this is the first time I've ever had to install a console game before. It just seems weird. Snake just told me to take a 15-minute break each hour on the loading screen.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #60
KWhit
Coordinator

This amused me.

http://www.crispygamer.com/_Generate...Column913.aspx

Quote:
Kojima: Already disappointed in himself, in his game, and in the PS3.

Perfectionist/crazy person/nut job Hideo Kojima told Edge mag in a recent interview that not only does MGS 4 come far short of his original vision for the game, he also mostly blames the PS3's hardware for this.

"I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit, actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

You may know this, but this isn't the first time he's made comments like that. He made the same public comments before the release of MGS2 and MGS3. He's a perfectionist to a fault at times, but that helps on the development end as he's known for quality, bug-free games.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-13-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #62
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's been some time ago and was a fire sale price point. This was a full price product. Big difference.

Do you ever take the PS3 glasses off? I mean...ever?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Do you ever take the PS3 glasses off? I mean...ever?

So a sale where a console is discounted $200 off the current asking price should be compared to a sale where a console is being offered at full price? Seems like a flawless argument to me.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #64
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Aw man, this is the first time I've ever had to install a console game before. It just seems weird. Snake just told me to take a 15-minute break each hour on the loading screen.

I think he chain smoked 4 cigarettes in a row, while educating me on the possibility of "burn in" for plasma televisions and non-LCD screens.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty impressive scores thus far. 94 on Metacritic with one 80 review dragging down the average.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #66
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh man. I love this game. If you like MGS, this is just epic.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #67
KWhit
Coordinator

Tom Chick hated it.

Quote:
I hated Metal Gear Solid 4. Partly because I haven't followed the series closely enough to know what the hell was going on. I've played at least half of pretty much all the games, usually giving up at some point where I was just too confused or frustrated to continue. This time, I saw it through to the bitter incomprehensible end.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #68
Calis
College Starter

Finally got a chance to play this yesterday and a little bit today.

I'm really enjoying it. Great looking game, the controls have been refined from in the past(Close Quarters Combat isn't an exercise in frustration anymore!). The one thing that really stands out that I don't see mentioned much is the sound. The sound is the best I've heard in a game, from the sounds of the fighting to the smaller ambient stuff. Great stuff.

There is nothing in it that would make a person who hated the series previously love it though. I think someone coming into it with no previous knowledge would probably hate it as well. It's very much a payoff for the rest of the games.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #69
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Bump

Picked this game up for Christmas with my PS3 and playing through it. Having an issue that nearly makes the game unplayable. It seems like every explosion as well as the sounds of people walking cause a sound that makes my speakers sound like they are blown and/or popping. It may be the most annoying noise I have ever heard.

That said the issue isn't my TV or the speakers as I have now tried to play this game twice since x-mas and had this same issue both times. In between the two plays I have watched tv, played though Fallout 3: Game of the Year Addition in it's 70 hour glory, and watched about 5 blu ray movies on my PS3 with no speaker popping issues. This leads me to believe it has to be the game. Anyone else heard of an issue like this before with this game?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

dubb -- looks like you're not completely alone. Not sure what your setup is but maybe some of the troubleshooting ideas here will help
GameSpot Forums - Sony PlayStation 3 - PS3, HDMI audio problem

Some Googling turned up similar issues related to a few other games in various forums, most all of them eventually came down to users having to adjust either their audio settings, their cabling setup, or both but most seemed to eventually get resolved with some trial & error.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-15-2010 at 02:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #71
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Hmmmm...Thanks Jon, very interesting parallels between that guy and myself. Seems that both of us have other systems and don't have issues, both of us are connecting by an HDMI cable and both us have have LG brand TV's. He didn't mention using his PS3 as a Blu Ray player, but I have used it that way and not had any of these issues.

I took the audio off of automatic and messed with them myself to see if it fixes the issue.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-15-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #72
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

DOLA: It seems to be fixed by taking it off of automatic detect audio settings and changing the audio output away from Dolby 5.1 to LINEAR 2 Ch.

Anything to get rid of that annoying popping noise.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cool, glad you found a fix
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #74
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
DOLA: It seems to be fixed by taking it off of automatic detect audio settings and changing the audio output away from Dolby 5.1 to LINEAR 2 Ch.

That's like saying you fixed the macroblocking on your cable HD channels by watching the SD channel instead...
Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #75
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
That's like saying you fixed the macroblocking on your cable HD channels by watching the SD channel instead...

Would you like to propose a fix that will eliminate the god awful noise while still outputting in 5.1 dolby for this game?

To me the difference between 2 chan and 5.1 in a video game is impossible to notice, but if you have another fix I'd be willing to try it.