Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How long before Pete Carroll scurries back to college football?
Less than a year 1 1.19%
1 year 3 3.57%
2 years 26 30.95%
3 years 32 38.10%
4 years 10 11.90%
5 years 4 4.76%
6 years 0 0%
7 years 0 0%
8 years 0 0%
9 years 0 0%
10 years 0 0%
Pete will stay in the NFL a long time 8 9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Pete Carroll

How long before he scurries back to college football when he can't cut it in the NFL?

Poll to come.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Rizon
Pro Starter

Pete Carroll is to NFL Head Coaching as coffee straws are to staplers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 01-14-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
chesapeake
College Starter

In 2018, after winning his 4th Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks, the fans will force his resignation after it is reported on the local NPR affiliate that the SUV parked in his spot at Seahawks HQ is not a hybrid.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
path12
Coordinator

Hasselbeck was pimping the local Hummer franchise for a few years IIRC, though now that they went under I think he switched to an Escalade.

But more on topic: Why must we hate? I'm trying to keep an open mind here.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Hasselbeck was pimping the local Hummer franchise for a few years IIRC, though now that they went under I think he switched to an Escalade.

But more on topic: Why must we hate? I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

Hasselbeck also endorsed Bush and has gotten away with it...for a while. I do get the sense that the bubbling of discontent with the team's shortcomings are starting to fall on his shoulders. And with his back and rib problems, he can only hold those up for so long.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

be nice to Hasselbeck!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Year 1: Finish near .500, second in the division to Arizona, miss out on Wild Card spot. "But that's OK, because we're rebuilding!"

Year 2: Finish one or two games worse than Year One, 3rd in the division (after Arizona & San Francisco). "Temporary setback! Difficult year! Injuries!"

Year 3: Bottom falls out. Wins 2 games. Resigns (rather than being fired) in December to return to USC after Lane Kiffin is forced to resign after an NCAA investigation documents numerous recruiting violations during his two tenures at USC.

...or not....

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think he'll make it two...maybe 3 years. i voted for 2. i just think the guy doesn't understand how to treat nfl players. by all accounts he's a nice guy, so i hope maybe he learned, or will learn fast, cuz i'd like to see him succeed. but i'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

4 Years. I think he'll be modestly successful, something like:

8-8
10-6 (loses in divisional round)
11-5 (loses in NFC Championship Game)
9-7 (loses in divisional round)

Then somebody will give him a billion dollars for some relatively stress-free college situation like Oregon St. or Arizona or Cal, and he'll ride off into the sunset there.

Last edited by molson : 01-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
RedKingGold
College Starter

Pete Carroll will win a Super Bowl.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Pete Carroll might not be great, but the NFL has a lot of bad coaches. I think he hangs around awhile and does well for Seattle.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
cougarfreak
College Starter

I don't think Carroll wanted to go to pro football, but I think he knows the hammer is dropping at USC. I think he goes back to college football in 2 years. He's not a pro guy.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i think he will be a solid HC like last time, but he will find it "too hard" and run back to college after 2 years. face it college is much easier
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think he'll hang in the NFL a while. He's got nothing left to prove in college and honestly, no job will EVER be as cushy as his run with USC. So save for going to a rival and doing them dirty, he'll do the NFL thing for a while and then head to TV.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I said two, but after more thought, Seattle may not be bad enough after two seasons to get rid of the golden boy. I really figured he'd just stay in college.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I don't think Carroll wanted to go to pro football, but I think he knows the hammer is dropping at USC. I think he goes back to college football in 2 years. He's not a pro guy.

And Kiffin, etc bolted to join a sinking ship? Bottom line is Carroll left for the challenge, power, and most importantly, the cash money. He's putting together a really good staff, including probably Floyd Reese as GM. I think he'll have the Hawks playing well very soon. If they can grab a stud OT and a playmaker with their two 1st round picks, look out. Also, Carroll is 58, doubt he'll be jumping back down to college. Agree with the idea that if he does fizzle out, he'll end up on TV.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i think he will be a solid HC like last time, but he will find it "too hard" and run back to college after 2 years. face it college is much easier

he wasn't a solid head coach last time. he was in wayyyyyyyy over his head
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I picked three years but I'm not sure if it will be him quitting and going back to college ball or just getting fired.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Pete's style just does not translate well to the pros. He was a great NFL coordinator, not so good as a head coach and even while at USC he was out coached when having superior talent more than once. In the NFL he won't enjoy that luxury.

I kind of see this experience turning out similar to Steve Spurriers.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-15-2010 at 08:16 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #20
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Pete's style just does not translate well to the pros. He was a great NFL coordinator, not so good as a head coach and even while at USC he was out coached when having superior talent more than once. In the NFL he won't enjoy that luxury.

I kind of see this experience turning out similar to Steve Spurriers.

I hope there is more substance to Carroll than there is to Spurrier. Certainly, Carroll's offensive and defensive philosophies are more suited to the NFL than were Spurrier's.

Carroll gets knocked a lot for being a 'rah rah' kind of guy. That can work in the NFL -- as long as it is genuine. See Vermiel, Dick.

I do think that his first season will be far below expectations. On ESPN radio yesterday morning, both Golic and Schlereth were saying that they felt that Seattle could easily be 8-8 next year. I don't know what team they were watching the last couple of years. The one I watched for every game went 4-12 and 5-11 and is old. And they seem to think that Walter Jones still plays there. I wish he did, but he's probably done.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Calis
College Starter

I can see him doing decently next year. You couldn't ask for a better division to start in, especially if Warner is done this year. I think he can do decent next year and winds up actually doing worse in year 2.

I picked 3. I think it'll be the make or break year for him, but I'm inclined to think it won't end well.

I do think his chances are a lot better than Spurrier's though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote