Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

Bernard Cornwell..........

Anyone read him? Likes, dislikes? I'm thinking of starting one of his series, and am debating on which one to go with. Any favorite series if you do read him?

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

I read The Archer's Tale and the books that went along in that triology. He writes well and I enjoyed that series. It's shorter than a lot of his others and is more my era of history. If you like Holy Grail type stuff in Medievel times, I'd say to maybe go with that small series.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
whomario
Pro Starter

Iīve read his "Saxon Stories" series thatīs not yet finished (and isnīt having a schedule other than the lifespan of the main character) and found it quite entertaining. Obviously you are going to find negative reviews on autheticity like with most mainstream historical novells, but being interested in history heīs close enough for me and his style is pretty fitting for the era, you really get absorbed into the character and his story and especially his "quality". Heīs lived in a violent era without much formal education and so the language isnīt exactly sugarcoated for the dialogues or his recaps.

So i can recommend that series pretty much, only frustrating thing is that itīs not finished so if you get to love it be prepared that the conclusion of the story might not be told for another 3 or 4 years
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

I read a couple of his Sharpe books and enjoyed them. They are a fun action-adventure romp that is surprisingly accurate historically.

The Sharpe books are definitely his bread & butter, so seems like a good place to start.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've read the Archer's tale series and the first three books of the Saxon series. I like his writing style, very easy to read.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

One of my favorite authors ever, but that's on the strength of his Civil War series, which has not had any new additions since I was in junior high.

That's why he's merely "one of."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
whomario
Pro Starter

gonna have to bump this one

His newest book in the Saxon/Alfred The Great Series was released a couple weeks ago over here and will be out January 19th in the US.
Itīs pretty good again.

Still no conclusion in sight and i guess itīll be 2 or 3 more books before weīll get there.

His main character really is a good one, pretty neat idea having this "unwilling warrior" whose torn between 2 (and sometimes more) sides.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Cannot believe I missed this thread.

The Warlord Chronicles is one of the best series I have ever read. Its a retelling of the Arthurian legends from a more believable (i.e. no real magic) point of view. Its up there with Song of Ice and Fire as my favorite series other than LoTR.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Cannot believe I missed this thread.

The Warlord Chronicles is one of the best series I have ever read. Its a retelling of the Arthurian legends from a more believable (i.e. no real magic) point of view. Its up there with Song of Ice and Fire as my favorite series other than LoTR.

wait...what? that sounds cool!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wait...what? that sounds cool!

I loved it. Starts with The Winter King. IMHO better than either the Grail series or the Saxon Chronicles.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

must...read...now
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

or maybe i have read it in the past and just totally forget...LOL
Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
whomario
Pro Starter

I personally like the Saxons Series best, but then again i tend to overrate recent material over older ones + have a huge affinity towards scandinavian history and the british/scandinavian clashes during that time period allways interested me.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
chesapeake
College Starter

Cornwell is the male equivalent of chick lit. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've read the Saxon series and 3 Sharpe books so far this year. I may have to d'load The Winter King onto my Kindle after I finish what I am working on now.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
Celeval
Pro Starter

I've had a FF tab open to his wiki page for about a month as a reminder to toss a couple books of his onto my reading list. This thread may move that up a bit.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
cschex
High School Varsity

I agree with Samdari on Warlord Chronicles. It's the best Arthurian story I've ever read. The Saxon series is not as good but very enjoyable, the books tend to be fairly short, quick reads.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Cornwell is the male equivalent of chick lit. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've read the Saxon series and 3 Sharpe books so far this year. I may have to d'load The Winter King onto my Kindle after I finish what I am working on now.

It's not available for kindle , I checked. That's kind of weird, all of his other books I've read have been available. I was able to grab it from my local library last night.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I personally like the Saxons Series best, but then again i tend to overrate recent material over older ones + have a huge affinity towards scandinavian history and the british/scandinavian clashes during that time period allways interested me.

The main focus of the Warlord Chronicles is Arthur leading the Britons against the neverending invasions of the Saxons.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
The main focus of the Warlord Chronicles is Arthur leading the Britons against the neverending invasions of the Saxons.

yeah, i know as iīve read it In any case, anglo-saxons were invading from what later became germany (more or less) and is not connected to the latter events of "vikings" coming to Britain.
But what i really meant to say that what i like about the saxon series is that it is told with a "nordic" point of view/mentality through Uhtred. Yeah, heīs technically "english" and fights on their side most of the time, but heīs doing it reluctantly and still has ambitions as a dane and friends and alleys among them.
Itīs not as clear cut and more ambigous, imo.

but that Warlord series is good as well, no doubt about that.

Last edited by whomario : 12-31-2009 at 08:22 AM.