Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which offense has had the most impact?
West Coast Offense 15 100.00%
Triangle Offense 0 0%
Offenisve Trout 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

West Coast Offense in the NFL or the Triangle Offense in the NBA?

Phil Jackson's Triangle Offense has yielded 10 championships, and Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense has yielded 9 championships in the NFL (through Seifert, Holmgren, Shanahan, and Gruden as well as Walsh). Which offense has had the most impact on its respective professional sport?

Poll coming.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I voted for the West Coast Offense because the principles of that offense are in a lot of the offenses today. The triangle offense needs a superstar to be good while the West Coast Offense needs an accurate QB.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

How many teams besides ones that Jackson coaches use it? I think the West Coast offense has a made more wide spread appeal.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Calis
College Starter

West Coast Offense obviously has a much more widespread use and overall is comparitively simple to incorporate.

The triangle is more impressive imo, but I don't think you can say it has more overall impact, due to the lack of useage.

I've always looked at the WCO as more of a play philosophy whereas the Triangle is more structured also, so it is a little tougher to compare the two.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
How many teams besides ones that Jackson coaches use it?

None, really. The Timberwolves this year tried to run it for some weird reason (yeah i know itīs because Rambis knows that system, still ...) but have scaled that back a lot since the start of the year.
A lot of teams use some elements, but those arenīt elements exclusive to the triangle either but a staple of all spacing-offenses.

The similarity is that both systems are about giving one crucial player (QB because of the natural importance of the position, Jordan because of his ability) a lot of options to choose from and the other players a defined role in hwich to excel and also get everybody involved.

Basketball today is much less about a system than even 10 years ago anyway, thereīs never been a whole lot of team playing in a specific system. Yeah, things that distinguish them from other teams but not sth you could call a system.

Maybe the Pick&Roll could be mentioned as similar to the west coast offense ? Geared towards simplicity and quick, fast and easily executed play given that the PG is having the key skills to execute it and involve the others. More the way the Suns used/use it then the Jazz even (they moved it away from being a true 2-man game).

Last edited by whomario : 12-15-2009 at 12:58 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote