Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Shocker!!! Akili Smith cut....

Couldn't cut it with the Bengals, then in a shocking twist, the Packers decide he's not good enough to replace Favre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1603429

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

I feel bad, I liked Akili when he was with us.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

that QB draft of 1999 is realling panning out now, isn't it?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'd rather see him as the Cowboys QB than Carter or Hutchinson
Old 08-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Ummm...No.

Q-Car is da man!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I was pulling for Akili and looked forward to him in a Packers uniform. I thought maybe that the Bengals were just wrong and that some time on the bench would help him...

Umm.. Holy Crap was I wrong. This guy is the suckiest suck who ever sucked...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Ummm...No.

Q-Car is da man!

Who will throw 30+ interceptions this year.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Unless he is pulled....then count on 20+ fumbles.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

I was surprised. I thought the Packers would at least let him hang around as the #3 QB then see if he was worth keeping next preseason.

If the Packers knew what they were doing they would have Akili as the #3 and Eric Crouch as the back-up. But what do I know?

Edited to insert smiley so everyone will understand that I was not serious in the above statement, and therefore, not a complete idiot.

Last edited by The_herd : 08-26-2003 at 01:48 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Ummm...No.

Q-Car is da man!

I'd say a K-Car is a better investment.

(ooh, this Cowboys bashing is fun! )
Old 08-26-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
Franklinnoble
Banned

You know, if you had told me two years ago that Akili Smith and Jeff George would be totally unemployable in the NFL I woulda... umm... yeah, nevermind...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:05 AM   #12
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Who cares about Akili Smith, the Colts cut Jim Kubiak!

Talking of Akili Smith, his co-Bengals 1999 QB draft choice Scott Covington was cut by the Chiefs.
And, the in 1999 drafted QBs still have 3 1/2 starters left in McNabb, Culpepper, Brooks and Couch. That is more then any other QB class of the past 15 years.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:50 AM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MIJB#19
Who cares about Akili Smith, the Colts cut Jim Kubiak!

Talking of Akili Smith, his co-Bengals 1999 QB draft choice Scott Covington was cut by the Chiefs.
And, the in 1999 drafted QBs still have 3 1/2 starters left in McNabb, Culpepper, Brooks and Couch. That is more then any other QB class of the past 15 years.

are you sure about that? Couch is benched so I don't see why you'd count him. This class is looking completely ordinary compared to others:

2002 already has Joey Harrington, Daivd Carr, Patrick Ramsey, with David Garrard potentially there soon.

2001: Vick, Brees, Quincy Carter

1995: Steve McNair, Kerry Collins, Kordell Stewart

1993: Drew Bledsoe, Trent Green, Mark Brunell

1992: Tommy Maddox, Jeff Blake, Brad Johnson
Old 08-27-2003, 10:23 AM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
are you sure about that? Couch is benched so I don't see why you'd count him. This class is looking completely ordinary compared to others:

2002 already has Joey Harrington, Daivd Carr, Patrick Ramsey, with David Garrard potentially there soon.

Well, the 2002 class could be good, but it's too early to tell.

Some of the other "starters" you have listed are pathetic - Quincy Carter, Kordell Stewart... ugh. Blake is maginally good, Maddox might have had just a fluke year, and Brunell isn't starting anymore. Vick is hurt - and it's still too soon to know if him or Brees is the real deal. The rest of these guys are mediocre at best... and of them, I'm not certain any are HOF material.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:27 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Brunell isn't starting anymore.

This is not official is it? If so, I missed Troy's proclamation of genius.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:27 AM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

I agree with a few things here:

A) Akili smith was a one hit wonder in college and a total joke in the NFL

B) Qunicy carter??? *falls down laughing so hard he feints*

C) the class of 2003 will probably rank second only to the group with marino, elway, etc etc.....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #17
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'm disappointed that Akilli didn't hang on in GB too. I was hoping that he'd be able to sit for a few years & develop at least to be a back-up. He was given such a totally raw deal in Cincinnati, that I naturally assumed that it was another coaching/effing Mike Brown screw up in not playing him. It could be he's not developed enough to ride the pine, or he has too many bad habbits. I still hope that he catches on somewhere & gets the opportunity for reps w/o the pressure of being a #4 pick and keeping up the traidition of loosing in Cincinnati.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:59 AM   #18
The_herd
College Starter

The thing about Akili when he was with the Bengals was, he not only didn't get any better, he got worse. This comes from poor coaching.

Just about any quarterback (there are always exceptions) taken in the 1st round can succeed in the NFL, the talent is obviously there, but it takes very good coaching and proper handling.

The Bengal's couildn't seem to decide what approach to take in developing him. The 3 ways teams seem to develop a QB is either proclaim the Rookie the starter from day 1, like Peyton Manning, sit him on the bench and let him learn from a veteran (Chad Pennington), or have Veteran starting that knows and understands that he is just holding the job until the young QB is ready (Mike Vick). The Bengals did a little bit of all the and it obviously didn't work.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #19
scooper
College Benchwarmer

While it's true that the Bengals' handling of Akili was questionable (duh), just as much of the blame has to go to Akili himself. First, the holdout didn't help and it was clear when he arrived that he had not exactly immersed himself in the playbook. Over the course of his stay with the team, his study habits and work ethic were often questioned. He picked it up a bit toward the end, but it was too late. His whining didn't endear him to his teammates either.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 02:45 AM   #20
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
The in 1999 drafted QBs still have 3 1/2 starters left in McNabb, Culpepper, Brooks and Couch. That is more then any other QB class of the past 15 years.
Quote:

To make sure I wouldn't say something stupid, I looked at all the QB classes.
I purposly ignored 2002 and 2003, as those early drafted QBs are yet to be proven as either starters, career backups or "retired after 6 seasons".

I said 3 1/2 because I'm yet to see that Couch will be the #2 for the full season.
I noticed the listed groups, but figured that Mark Brunell, Kordell Stewart, Quincy Carter and Tommy Maddox all are in a situation similair to Holcomb: they either are unproven starters or might not start all season (ignoring possible injuries).

Culpepper, Brooks and McNabb are pretty safe and Tim Couch is benched after the backup did well for what, 5 games?
And even if you'd say only Culpepper, Brooks and McNabb count, I bet most people prefer those 3 over any other combination of 3 you listed (excepting of course the "society of mobile quarterbacks haters").

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-28-2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:58 AM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MIJB#19
To make sure I wouldn't say something stupid, I looked at all the QB classes.
I purposly ignored 2002 and 2003, as those early drafted QBs are yet to be proven as either starters, career backups or "retired after 6 seasons".

I said 3 1/2 because I'm yet to see that Couch will be the #2 for the full season.
I noticed the listed groups, but figured that Mark Brunell, Kordell Stewart, Quincy Carter and Tommy Maddox all are in a situation similair to Holcomb: they either are unproven starters or might not start all season (ignoring possible injuries).

Culpepper, Brooks and McNabb are pretty safe and Tim Couch is benched after the backup did well for what, 5 games?
And even if you'd say only Culpepper, Brooks and McNabb count, I bet most people prefer those 3 over any other combination of 3 you listed (excepting of course the "society of mobile quarterbacks haters").

I wasn't really trying to make the claim that any other classes of QB's were better, but you can make the case that a few are equal. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Culpepper (who has shown zero consistency in his 3 years as starter) or Brooks (late season fades anyone?), but do believe McNabb will be a first ballot hall of fame QB.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Watching Culpepper this preseason has shown me how much he's learned. I don't think he's thrown an interception yet and he's taken to throwing the ball away instead of forcing it in. I'm expecting him to be much more like his 40 touchdown season of a few years ago instead of the disaster that was last year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #23
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I wasn't really trying to make the claim that any other classes of QB's were better, but you can make the case that a few are equal. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Culpepper (who has shown zero consistency in his 3 years as starter) or Brooks (late season fades anyone?), but do believe McNabb will be a first ballot hall of fame QB.
Well, eh, my staement was basically a result of me thinking: "the 1999 QBs were hyped, but recently it seems to fade away". Then I thought, let's check wheter it's true and then, comparing all together, the only better class could be McNair and Kerry Collins, who have actually been to the Super Bowl and lost, not like Bledsoe and Green who won as guys who lost their job during that season. Perhaps it's time for a Jaguars-Bears superbowl with thew Bears losing with Stewart starting and the Jaguars winning with Brunell on the bench.