Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ping: PS3 Owners

I'm going to be buying a Playstation 3 here soon (the draw of having a Blu-Ray player is too strong), and I'm wondering how big a deal the HD size is? Is the difference between having a 250 Gig HD noticeable/advantageous over the 120 Gig edition?

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm going to be buying a Playstation 3 here soon (the draw of having a Blu-Ray player is too strong), and I'm wondering how big a deal the HD size is? Is the difference between having a 250 Gig HD noticeable/advantageous over the 120 Gig edition?

I have a 120 GB HD, and while I don't play a ton of games on it (Mainly the big exclusives, like Uncharted 1 & 2, MGS 4, The Show, etc) I haven't even come close to using all my HD space.

I might not be the best sample because I am not a big demo or PS Store guy or whatever but that's my thoughts.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Calis
College Starter

I wouldn't worry much about it. I'm using a 40 gig currently and it isn't a huge pain even with that. Depends on how much video and such you want to store on it as well. I run everything through a media server on my PC so it isn't an issue.

Depending on the price you might be better off going with the smaller and buying your own HD. That's one of the nice features of the PS3 is the cheapness in upgrading.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, I'm much more of a casual console gamer these days - most of my gaming is done on the PC. That would lead me to believe that the smaller HD is probably fine for me, but before I make the investment, I'd like to hear some opinions.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I learned two things recently. My stepson has a PS2 and still buys and plays new games on it. I had thought about getting him a PS3 or an XBOX. The first thing that I learned was that none of his hundreds of PS2 games can play on a PS3. That boggled my mind (unlike the Wii where my son can play all of his gamecube games). So then I went to look on amazon to see what kind of library they had for either platform for the kind of games he plays (action-fighting). I counted the total number of titles on both platforms on two hands. That's it. Obviously I totally missed the boat. I guess other genres are what make their sales, as well as blu-ray movies, instead of playing the games that he has been playing for many years. I'll get him a new PC monitor instead.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I have either a 40 or an 80 and I don't have issues, and have a bunch of movies & shows on it (I use it more as a media server than a console).

that being said, I think we're just talking about $50 to double the hard drive. I'd probably think about doing that, just so that I wouldn't have to think about it again
Old 11-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I wouldn't worry much about it. I'm using a 40 gig currently and it isn't a huge pain even with that.

+1
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Our ps3 is a launch 20 gig model, it was a huge pain in the ass. Some games install some files to the hd, Oblivion used 5 gig and The Show was ~4-5 gig. On occasion we'd have to delete one game so we could play another. Then add in things like demos are usually a gig or so anymore and Rock Band content and it was time to move on. I bought a 300 gig from New Egg for ~$60 and now never have to worry.

I guess I'm in the minority here but if it were me I'd compare hd prices on New Egg(very easy to switch drives on the ps3) to the cost of buying the 250 gig and do whichever was cheaper. To me it would be worth ~$50 to not have to think about space issues.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Icy
Pro Starter

I have the 80Gb model and never filled it, but i don't buy downloadable movies, just use the HD to install games and to download demos, that i usually delete once i don't want to play them anymore.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

If it turns out too small
It is VERY easy to swap.

Picked up a 500gig for $60
It took 5 min to change it.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
If it turns out too small
It is VERY easy to swap.

Picked up a 500gig for $60
It took 5 min to change it.

I did the same thing. It was incredibly easy and painless.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Mine has 80 GB of space and there is still a ton of space left after having it for a year and a half.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

120 GB is plenty.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So it sounds like 120 is easily enough, and even if it isn't, it's not very hard to upgrade. Thanks for the input, y'all!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

some basic things-

Don't get an off brand PS3 BD remote. Get the Sony.
Order your HDMI cables over the internet.

I'd just get the 120, and if you're really having space issues it's pretty easy to upgrade. Also if you have a netflix account, order the Blu Ray Streaming disc.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
some basic things-

Don't get an off brand PS3 BD remote. Get the Sony.
Order your HDMI cables over the internet.

I'd just get the 120, and if you're really having space issues it's pretty easy to upgrade. Also if you have a netflix account, order the Blu Ray Streaming disc.

+1 to all of this.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI in case you haven't bought a PS3 yet. Dell has them for $270 shipped right now.

Playstation 3 Slim 120GB Console $270 or $262 - Slickdeals.net
Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, I put this up initially as I was intrigued by the Amazon PS3 + 2 Games for $299 deal, but Killzone and whatever the other game were didn't really sell me on it, so I passed. I'll be buying one in the next month or two...just gotta get an HD TV first
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Well, I put this up initially as I was intrigued by the Amazon PS3 + 2 Games for $299 deal, but Killzone and whatever the other game were didn't really sell me on it, so I passed. I'll be buying one in the next month or two...just gotta get an HD TV first

There's always Little Big Planet + Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time from Best Buy!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey Vince-Sears is running a buy a Sony HDTV, get a PS3 for free promo tomorrow thru Sat. I'm not sure which models exactly though.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hey Vince-Sears is running a buy a Sony HDTV, get a PS3 for free promo tomorrow thru Sat. I'm not sure which models exactly though.

I believe the 120 GB is the model. If that's not Sears, there's another store offering that same deal because I know I've seen it available.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Which TV models.