Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

PS3 BD Lens is dead

My BD lens stopped working on my PS3. Has anybody tried to replace the BD lens assembly? I'm thinking about doing that instead of sending the entire unit to Sony.

But if that's a bad idea, how long does it take for Sony to respond when you sent your PS3 to them?

Any help/ideas/suggestions are always appreciated.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

I don't own a PS3 but just posted a thread last week about the optical lens dying in my buddy's PS3. I gather that it typically takes about two weeks for you to get back a PS3 from Sony but that's just what I've read online. You can replace the lens on your own, I don't know how difficult it is to do, but do know that you will never be able to send the unit in to Sony because they will say you voided your warranty (even if the unit is out of warranty).
Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I don't own a PS3 but just posted a thread last week about the optical lens dying in my buddy's PS3. I gather that it typically takes about two weeks for you to get back a PS3 from Sony but that's just what I've read online. You can replace the lens on your own, I don't know how difficult it is to do, but do know that you will never be able to send the unit in to Sony because they will say you voided your warranty (even if the unit is out of warranty).

Really? That's interesting. I guess I'll have to send it to Sony to be safe then.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

here's the thread

Question about broken PS3 - Front Office Football Central
Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

As the European headquarters for Sony are in Germany, it should be quick for you, like 2 weeks (vs a month for Spanish Ps3 that must be sent to Germany).

They will send you another PS3, either brand new or a refurbished one. If it is still under warranty, you will get it for free, else whatever the replacement price is in Germany (200€ in Spain no matter what is broken).

If you do it yourself, it will cost you around 80€ for the lens ordering it online, there are videos in youtube with detailed instructions to replace it.

I sent mine to Sony around 3 months ago with the same problem and received a refurbished one (that sold later to buy a new 80gb model, with a better lens). It was almost two years old, but for the early 60gb ones, they extended the warranty (at least in Spain) to 2 years for broken lens as it's a known problem. The warranty extension is not valid for the 40gb or 80gb models.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

Well, I spent the money to get this PS3 "fixed". Worked for a few months and now Madden 2010 is stuck in the drive...making a horrible noise trying to eject it...and it looks like I'm back to square one with this POS gaming system.

I don't plan to spend any more money on this. *Sigh*

Last edited by Dutch : 11-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hmmm, decided to double check and make sure all was working as I expected. Low and behold, opening up the PS3 I heard some plastic falling around inside. I thought the worst...

But it was a plastic knife. Broke it in half and pulled it out. Hooked it all back up and presto! Perfectly working PS3.

I almost sold it for parts...I'm glad I double checked.

Now...where is my 2-year old daughter? She's got some 'splaining to do...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Hmmm, decided to double check and make sure all was working as I expected. Low and behold, opening up the PS3 I heard some plastic falling around inside. I thought the worst...

But it was a plastic knife. Broke it in half and pulled it out. Hooked it all back up and presto! Perfectly working PS3.

I almost sold it for parts...I'm glad I double checked.

Now...where is my 2-year old daughter? She's got some 'splaining to do...

hehe
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote