Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
You own cattle?

Now that's cool.

Yeah... Over 800
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #53
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm almost certain this is the same logic we used to justify our attacks on various Indian tribes.

And I am not anti-hunting, but I see the effects of hunting predatory animals around my county. There are coyotes here, but they are fairly rare. As a result, the deer population has exploded. This has led to an increased number of vehicle accidents involving deer, some of which have been fatal.

Seems to me it would be easier to protect domesticated animals from coyote attacks so the coyotes will be around to keep deer and other foraging animal populations in check.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 04-18-2009 at 02:39 PM.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #54
BradS
n00b

If you owned a couple of Pit Bulls who would have fared better? Not saying you should change breeds but wanted to know would a wolf or coyote get the better of any dog breed. Morbid curiosity you might say.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #55
Izulde
Head Coach

Just round up the Cougars from the bars you been hanging out at. Sic 'em on the coyotes and you won't have no coyote trouble no more.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #56
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I'm almost certain this is the same logic we used to justify our attacks on various Indian tribes.
People do not equal Animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
If you owned a couple of Pit Bulls who would have fared better? Not saying you should change breeds but wanted to know would a wolf or coyote get the better of any dog breed. Morbid curiosity you might say.

yotes almost never attack as a single.
People really need to research these animals tey are quite fascinating. They gang up and surround their prey and rush in waves.
IOW
1 Pit Bull > 1 Coyote
1 Pit Bull <<< 5 Coyotes.

And even when nnot hungry these predators attack and eat the throats out of any invading animal and leave them dead.

They are fun to hunt but you will never kill them in the same spot with thee same call/ setup they are brilliant animals
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #57
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Allright. I've got a couple of things. I just moved into town after about 12 years in the country.

We had dogs, and we had coyotes. I wasn't satisfied until we had a fence around our yard.

On your question about invisible fences. In town, our very large dog had no respect for the meager visible wooden fence. Read, he broke through it in the first half hour we left him home. That afternoon I went out and bought an invisible fence. I'd do some checking, as they can cover quite a bit of ground. I prefer it to what we used in the country which was a hot wire, the kind of thing used to keep horses from escaping from within their corals.

If you want to go the big dog option. I looked into big dogs, and found the Anatolian Shepherd interesting. One of the breeders had a picture of his livestock guardian dog on the front page of his site with a couple of dead wolves. The wolves had gotten onto the property the previous night. So they are a pretty serious animal.

I thought the livestock guardian dog was a good idea, as they pretty much protect their "flock". The "flock" in question can be just about anything, including your family.

Also, we had a coyote gun that we used to launch explosive rounds...really just noise makers ... in the general direction of the coyotes when they got close. That really ran them off.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #58
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
The problem is that they are not indigenous.

Coyotes aren't indigenous to the upper midwest? Really?

And I was serious about the llama, by the way. Although the llama would probably be as much a threat to your dogs as the coyotes, unfortunately (due to their instinctive hatred of canines). Still, llamas are cool.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #59
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Coyotes aren't indigenous to the upper midwest? Really?

And I was serious about the llama, by the way. Although the llama would probably be as much a threat to your dogs as the coyotes, unfortunately (due to their instinctive hatred of canines). Still, llamas are cool.

I was going off what Wikipedia said that their original range was in the western part of North America, but they've extended that range due to humans basically facilitating that extension. So I guess the question is when are they considered indigenous? You could probably argue that either way.

I think the easier solution than having another mouth to feed in a llama would be to take care of my dogs better.

I've got my dog home now. He's tough as nails. Pretty slow right now, but on the road to recovery. One of his sinuses is pretty screwed up and I'm sure he won't be gaining eyesight back in the one eye. But he's moving around fairly well, albeit a little slowly, and eating and drinking well. I'm over $2000 in bills now, which luckily I've been sitting on some extra money for a while now so the blow won't be as harsh.

The hunt was not successful. The first night, somebody decided to drive four wheelers right in our target area. The next night, nothing came out. I may have made it sound like some sort of slaughter of coyotes was about to take place, but it definitely ain't gonna be that easy. If it was, they wouldn't be around.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #60
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Glad to hear about the recovering doggie.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #61
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I was going off what Wikipedia said that their original range was in the western part of North America, but they've extended that range due to humans basically facilitating that extension. So I guess the question is when are they considered indigenous? You could probably argue that either way.

I think the easier solution than having another mouth to feed in a llama would be to take care of my dogs better.

I've got my dog home now. He's tough as nails. Pretty slow right now, but on the road to recovery. One of his sinuses is pretty screwed up and I'm sure he won't be gaining eyesight back in the one eye. But he's moving around fairly well, albeit a little slowly, and eating and drinking well. I'm over $2000 in bills now, which luckily I've been sitting on some extra money for a while now so the blow won't be as harsh.

The hunt was not successful. The first night, somebody decided to drive four wheelers right in our target area. The next night, nothing came out. I may have made it sound like some sort of slaughter of coyotes was about to take place, but it definitely ain't gonna be that easy. If it was, they wouldn't be around.

Are you using bait other than meat? I have heard that you can use a recording of a rabbit in distress to draw them in. I've always wondered if that actually works.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #62
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Are you using bait other than meat? I have heard that you can use a recording of a rabbit in distress to draw them in. I've always wondered if that actually works.

Yup. We've got calls that make the sound of a rabbit in distress. That was the big issue Saturday night, nobody could agree how often to use them.

The problem with the meat we have out there is that it has the scent of human on it. Coyotes are very wary animals. The smell of the dead calf has to be enticing, but not enticing enough for them to ignore the smell of human that has handled the dead calf.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #63
Drake
assmaster

What does a rabbit in distress sound like?

And can I get that on one of those soothing relaxation CD's? It would beat the shit out of waterfalls.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #64
lungs
Pro Rookie

Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #65
lungs
Pro Rookie

Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #66
lungs
Pro Rookie

Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #67
lungs
Pro Rookie

Well, dog from this thread's brother like was shot and killed this weekend. It was opening weekend of deer hunting here. My dogs are notorious deer chasers so I've had them locked up for a few weeks leading up to the hunt. Apparently they broke out of where I keep them by chewing open a screen and crawling through a little hole. Only one of them came back.

At least it wasn't the one I stuck all the money into. But those idiots couldn't have picked a worse day to break out and chase deer.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #68
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

We have a lot of problems with Coyotes around my hunting land, they chase and kill our deer- and mess with the neighbors cattle. I've been trying to work on them for a while, without much luck.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote