Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Train Trip around the US

I've always enjoyed travelling by trains when in other countries, but have never really done it in the United States. So I leave Thursday on a trip I have wanted to take for a long time - I am flying up to Chicago then travelling on Amtrak over to San Francisco (the California Zephyr route) then after a couple days there heading up to Seattle on the Coast Starlight, then finally back to Chicago on the historic Empire Builder route. Including the flight, I will be travelling 5500 miles in 10 days. I'm really looking forward to seeing parts of the country I've never travelled through before.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

You are living one of my dreams (although, in my dream "Great Train Ride", I make a lot more stops). Enjoy it!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Very soon after you leave Chicago, you will go through (and may stop at) a town called "Glenview" in the burbs. I'm 1/2 mile from the station, so wave!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
You are living one of my dreams (although, in my dream "Great Train Ride", I make a lot more stops). Enjoy it!

I would love to have more stops but I only had so much time, so I chose to cover more ground but at the expense of stops.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sounds cool, hit me up if you wanna grab a beer in Seattle!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I really wish the US would get more on board with train travel. I was looking up if it was possible to grab a train from Detroit to see my parents in Raleigh, NC.

The train went from Detroit to Chicago, from Chicago to DC, from DC to Raleigh. The trip would take just about an entire day, and costs more than a airline ticket. Why the heck would I do this? I love trains, but from Detroit, I don't think it is set up very well right now. (I used Amtrack's website, is there someone else I can check with?)
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I agree - anytime I've check using the train, the cost was prohibitive and much more than flying.

FWIW, I took a trip from Newark, NJ to Minneapolis in one of those private room cars that sleep 2-3 and it was very difficult to sleep through the night. Something about the train having to make itself known at railroad crossings

Sounds like your route is much cooler than ours - hope you have a great time!
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 11-11-2009 at 08:26 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think it's more of the train is not set up well in Raleigh - from here (I live outside Raleigh) there is only one Amtrak option - the line from Atlanta through DC and New York. So to get basically anywhere to the north, you have to go on that line.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've always enjoyed travelling by trains when in other countries, but have never really done it in the United States. So I leave Thursday on a trip I have wanted to take for a long time - I am flying up to Chicago then travelling on Amtrak over to San Francisco (the California Zephyr route) then after a couple days there heading up to Seattle on the Coast Starlight, then finally back to Chicago on the historic Empire Builder route. Including the flight, I will be travelling 5500 miles in 10 days. I'm really looking forward to seeing parts of the country I've never travelled through before.

This is something I would love to do- simply out of curiosity how much are the train tickets going to cost you total?
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
whomario
Pro Starter

Train trips are awesome, have fun !

I´m a huge fan of trains and use it whenever possible for my travelling. Just next May/June i´ll go on a 3 week train (plus some bus and ferry) tour through Norway and Sweden and look forward to it a lot.

If you ever come to Europe again and need some scenic routes ...

If anyone goes to Europe google "Eurail".

A few years back i was in Cleveland for a couple months and was shocked how little train routes there were to travel out of town .

have fun !
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
This is something I would love to do- simply out of curiosity how much are the train tickets going to cost you total?

From what I saw - the basic coach seat is quite affordable - generally like $150 for a trip from Chicago to San Francisco or Seattle to Chicago. Once you upgrade to any kind of sleeping compartment, even the basic roomette which I have, it does add a good bit of cost, but you get more privacy, ability to sleep lying down, more access to the lounge cars, and free meals. The whole train part of the trip, with roomettes for each leg, is going to run me just over $1000.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Very, very cool. I myself would take trains more often if it wasn't so damn expensive. I hate flying and find trains relaxing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Very, very cool. I myself would take trains more often if it wasn't so damn expensive. I hate flying and find trains relaxing.

+1. I loved taking trains in Europe. Of course, I took most of the long distance lines and it seemed like they were easier to sleep on. But, to travel the USA by train is also one of my dreams. Have fun, Peregrine.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I love trains, but from Detroit, I don't think it is set up very well right now. (I used Amtrack's website, is there someone else I can check with?)

It's pretty horrible. The only place you can really use the train to get to from Detroit is Chicago. The problem, however, is that even without delays it's not much faster than using a car and the train is almost always delayed because the tracks are owned by the freight companies, so the freight trains always get the right of way. I used it once for a weeked trip to Chicago. The trip there wasn't too bad, only about 30-45 minutes late. The trip back was horrendous. It took 8-9 hours.

There was a lot of talk of a high-speed rail going up between Chicago-Detroit with all the stimulus money. I'd love that. I loved all the train tavelling I did while living in Europe. One of the best aspects about living in Brussels was that it was about an hour by train to Paris and just 2 hours or so (now) to London. It made for some excellent weekend trips.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I am back from my trip and had a great time - I really enjoyed travelling so much by train - met a ton of interesting people from all over the country (and other countries as well.)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Glad you enjoyed your trip.....would love to do that. I traveled Europe by rail after college and have always wanted to do that again. 15 countries in 6 weeks, all by train. It was wonderful!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

When I took Amtrak from Phoenix to Charlotte with an overnight stop in New Orleans, I had a great time. Saw parts of Texas that made me wonder how anyone manages to live there, parts that reminded me of old westerns, and then the swampy swamps of Louisiana.. Staying in N.O. for the night was fun, the station is about a 25-30 minute walk from Bourbon Street.. Got a hotel right there about 5 or 10 minutes away from Bourbon, Quality Inn I believe, and it was a very pleasant stay.. The train from N.O. to Charlotte kind of sucked though, because there was no intercom, so I had no idea where I was or where I was about to be most of the time.

Overall, excellent trip, worth every penny since I hate to fly and wanted to experience the train how I had always seen it in movies.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote