Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

22-year old goes back to high school. Literally.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1013617

Quote:
Almost everyone has had the dream: If I could do high school all over again, things would work out so much better.

It's the type of thing (cute) movies are made of.

Authorities in Arizona aren't laughing this week following the arrest of Anthony Avalos, who was fraudulently attending Yuma (Ariz.) Kofa High School.

Avalos is 22, having graduated from a high school in Florida in 2005. He told authorities he went back to school with the hopes of landing a college basketball scholarship. He may land in jail instead.

Avalos is facing charges of forgery and sexual conduct with a minor, according to a press release on the Yuma Police Department web site.

Kofa High School and the Yuma Unified High School District No. 70 are facing questions of how Avalos - who attended the school sporadically for parts of two school years - could have pulled off the ruse for so long.

In a report (and video) by Donna Rossi of KPHO, a CBS affiliate, Yuma asst. superintendent Richard Faidley said Avalos was admitted into the school because he said he was homeless and staying with an aunt. Faidley said federal law requires the school district to admit homeless students, even without proper documentation.

Avalos' scheme unraveled when he had to produce a birth certificate - which he told police he create on the internet and school officials said was obviously a forgery - to play basketball this winter.

According to Rossi's report, when school officials noticed spelling errors and other mistakes, they notified the school resource officer, who notified Yuma police.

Two big questions remain unanswered: How did Avalos play on the basketball team last winter without providing documentation and will the school be forced to vacate the regional title it won a year ago with Avalos on the team?

The story may remind some of popular movies Never Been Kissed or 13 Going on 30. But those stories were all in fun.

In the sports world, Avalos may take a place next to James Hogue, a famous con-man who ran track at a California High School in his mid-twenties before being discovered - then tricked his way into Princeton years later. Hogue, who has been arrested repeatedly, has been the subject of many stories and films.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-13-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
when school officials noticed spelling errors and other mistakes, they notified the school resource officer

Looks like he should have attended class more often.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The AP story has more facts including:

Avalos also admitted to having sex with a girl he knew was under age 18 on at least three different occasions, police said.

According to court documents, a clerk at Kofa High visited Avalos' Facebook page and discovered that he had posted that he graduated from Crestview in 2005.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like a neat guy. He's like Wooderson.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

L-I-V-I-N!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Autumn
Head Coach

There was a creepier version of this out West a few years ago, wasn't there, where the guy was a pedophile and living wiht these older guys pretending to be his family? compared to that this guy's a winner.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
There was a creepier version of this out West a few years ago, wasn't there, where the guy was a pedophile and living wiht these older guys pretending to be his family? compared to that this guy's a winner.

Ya, I was trying to remember that incident, I'm pretty sure it was discussed here.

I'm pretty sure if I went back to high school the girls would still reject me.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Avalos also admitted to having sex with a girl he knew was under age 18 on at least three different occasions, police said.

Well it depends on how old she actually was. Was she 17... or was she 15? Makes a big difference.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Wasn't this part of a plot on a Law and Order: SVU episode?

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 11-13-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
RedKingGold
College Starter

Back to school, back to school, to prove to Dad that I am not a fool.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Wasn't this part of a plot on a Law and Order: SVU episode?

I know there was an episode of the original Law and Order something like this. A woman was murdered, while investigating that they stumble upon a teacher that is sleeping with a student only to find out that the student was actually 28 and was going from school to school after she graduated claiming to be 16.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

You guys are slacking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rodney-back-to-school.jpg (147.0 KB, 194 views)
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

dola,

I think it was this one
"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" Pretend (2007)
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I know there was an episode of the original Law and Order something like this. A woman was murdered, while investigating that they stumble upon a teacher that is sleeping with a student only to find out that the student was actually 28 and was going from school to school after she graduated claiming to be 16.
You're giving me a lot to process here.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

My memory must be failing. I could have sworn that there was a woman that was killed and that it ended up being somone that could have blown the whistle on her.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There was also this case about a guy getting away with being a HS girls cheerleader. He did that locally for a couple years but I think he may have also done something like it in other states. I have a vague recollection that relatively recently, he was put away or died or something.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I went to high-school with a Laotian dude who was in his thirties. I had no idea, and used to join in teasing this dude with no regret, just like everybody else at the time. I found out his real age from the news, when he chopped up his family with a machete and put them under the Christmas tree. Good times.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
There was also this case about a guy getting away with being a HS girls cheerleader. He did that locally for a couple years but I think he may have also done something like it in other states. I have a vague recollection that relatively recently, he was put away or died or something.

Actually, I think he started a pop group with his two brothers.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I went to high-school with a Laotian dude who was in his thirties. I had no idea, and used to join in teasing this dude with no regret, just like everybody else at the time. I found out his real age from the news, when he chopped up his family with a machete and put them under the Christmas tree. Good times.

See what all the teasing led to...
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I keep getting older but they stay the same age.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

It'd make a good poll. How many of us would go back to high school if we could?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

what kind of school systems are there in Florida that let this moron graduate the first time?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It'd make a good poll. How many of us would go back to high school if we could?

After stints as a college tennis assistant in the spring and a JV head coach at a high school this fall...it was very apparent to me, that in case there was any confusion that I'd crossed the threshold to "old person" it was solidified, young looks aside. It was surreal at the end of season banquet when none of the players wanted to sit with me and a young varsity assistant (who is only 24) that we'd passed on to the "old" side of the house. Plus, team trips are strange even from a decade ago. The conversations aren't different really, but the tools at their disposal entirely different. Everyone has a cell phone, an iPod and probably a laptop. It was a really strange exercise in "whoa, things have moved on quickly."

And the girls in high school and college just look young.

No way I'd go back. I mean, what's there to look forward to? Even college can be frustrating for someone just past the traditional age, so I can't imagine what the hell a 22-year old was doing making high school work.

But I suspect if it was just a matter of skipping classes and playing ball, then what the heck? But meh. That just seems like a hell of a lot of work for no real good reason. I mean, someone was gonna find out at some point.

But I guess whatever works for some folks..

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-13-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #24
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
what kind of school systems are there in Florida that let this moron graduate the first time?

Crestview High? That is in an area that is referred to as Lower Alabama. It is also the high school that graduated former Ga Tech star and NBA player Tom Hammonds
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #25
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I went to Yuma High School, a rival of Kofa, and graduated in 99.. I went back the next year with a couple friends who were registering for their Sophomore year, and I was asked if I was registering.. I was tempted to say yes and see how far it went, but the school sucked the proverbial balls.. They thought I was an incoming freshman at the time, which made me chuckle.

Between this and the Best Buy thing that I saw recently involving the Yuma Best Buy jerking a customer around to the point that it made national news, I wonder just how dumb the people in charge of things in Yuma are, no matter where they are in charge..

I'm gonna go visit for Thanksgiving. Might try to go to class the following Monday.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

this was in AZ as well. In a small town to the north. He got away with being an elementary student though.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote