Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

Sports Illustrated Cover

Do you believe in the SI cover jinx? I hope not. Iowa makes the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. Everyone make sure you pick it up.

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Can it be called a jinx if it's really just reality setting in?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

OK, Iowa F-ball Fan, we got it.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hrmm...

When does Iowa play Ohio State? I think it may be the first time I will actually, without reservation, be able to root for the Buckeyes.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hrmm...

When does Iowa play Ohio State? I think it may be the first time I will actually, without reservation, be able to root for the Buckeyes.

Week from this Saturday.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

Nov. 7 Northwestern-- Im real worried about this game. Fitz gets the NW boys up for Iowa. He hates Iowa.

Nov. 13 at Ohio St.-- In the horseshoe. Real tough place to win.

Nov. 20 Minnesota-- Rivalry game. Floyd of Rosedale up for grabs. If Iowa is undefeated, Minnesota will come in looking to ruin our season. Another tough game.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ohio State will be real pissed of next week after PSU beats them.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Nov. 20 Minnesota-- Rivalry game. Floyd of Rosedale up for grabs. If Iowa is undefeated, Minnesota will come in looking to ruin our season. Another tough game.

I really don't think you'll have to worry about Iowa being undefeated coming into this game.

I agree with Sak, Ohio State is going to be pissed off after losing at Penn State this week. I'll give you a full report, I'll be at my first game in the Horseshoe in 25 years when Iowa comes in.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

10-2!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

I think ESPN's BCS expert Brad Edwards put it best in Monday's chat, when he wrote, "I think people need to take a step back and remember that Iowa never announced itself as a national title contender, and Kirk Ferentz has yet to do anything that could be considered campaigning. This team is simply laying it on the line each week in an effort to win the Big Ten. I think conference champion is all Iowa ever wanted to have a chance to be, and people are treating them as if they've been claiming to be the premier team in the country." Winning the Big Ten has been and should be Iowa's goal from here on out. Everything else is gravy. But I know this: Ferentz and his players aren't having the same debates about the BCS that we are. They're just taking care of business on the field every Saturday.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think ESPN's BCS expert Brad Edwards put it best in Monday's chat, when he wrote, "I think people need to take a step back and remember that Iowa never announced itself as a national title contender, and Kirk Ferentz has yet to do anything that could be considered campaigning. This team is simply laying it on the line each week in an effort to win the Big Ten. I think conference champion is all Iowa ever wanted to have a chance to be, and people are treating them as if they've been claiming to be the premier team in the country." Winning the Big Ten has been and should be Iowa's goal from here on out. Everything else is gravy. But I know this: Ferentz and his players aren't having the same debates about the BCS that we are. They're just taking care of business on the field every Saturday.

God bless the Big Ten mentality that national titles don't matter and simply winning the Big Ten does. I loathed it when it was Michigan's mantra as well. You want to be irrelevant on a national level? Think that way.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Iowa is having a great season. Ferentz is cashing in on the promise he was thought to have when hired. That said, they're getting their ass served to them @Ohio State.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

ffs! i was expecting the swimsuit cover pic
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Do you believe in the SI cover jinx? I hope not. Iowa makes the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. Everyone make sure you pick it up.

Kid you are just a natural born evangelist, aren't ya? First you campaign for Christianity and successfully make all the other Christians on the board cringe. Now you've got Michigan fans rooting for the Buckeyes.

I don't suppose it's too much to ask for you to stop doing both, is it?
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I agree with Sak, Ohio State is going to be pissed off after losing at Penn State this week. I'll give you a full report, I'll be at my first game in the Horseshoe in 25 years when Iowa comes in.

I was only kidding on the Penn State beating Ohio State. It's going to be a close, tight game. I am a little sad I had give up my tickets to the game. I have to ref a game in Kentucky at 1pm, hopefully I'll get to listen to most of the PSU/OSU game on my ride home.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

DOWN IN FLAMES THEY WILL GO!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Why in God's name would anyone want to pick this particular issue up if they aren't an alumni of Iowa?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Why in God's name would anyone want to pick this particular issue up if they aren't an alumni of Iowa?

Pet stores need to line the birdcages with something

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-04-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
God bless the Big Ten mentality that national titles don't matter and simply winning the Big Ten does. I loathed it when it was Michigan's mantra as well. You want to be irrelevant on a national level? Think that way.

Who cares about the rest of the country?

I agree that your arguments probably do apply to most people. Personally, I love Big Ten football, but I don't need it to be the 'best' conference to enhance my enjoyment of it -- I just like watching Big Ten teams play each other.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

I think its more about just worrying about what you can control.

But it takes care of itself - if they win the big Ten, they're certainly relevant on a national level. What exactly that "relevance" means is up to someone else, not Iowa.

A conference championship should be the main goal of any team. The fans these days are generally stuck in a "win a national championship or you're a loser" mindset, but all the bowls/nc games are really glorified exhibition games. The conference championship really means something.

Last edited by molson : 11-04-2009 at 09:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #21
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

All you can do is win every game on your schedule. Spending one second worrying about a "championship" based primarially on who some sportswriters thought were good before anyone played a down of football is a waste of a second that you can't get back.

For some godforsaken reason, those BCS games make money, so we are stuck with them. But I really would love a return to the old system: (1)Win your conference, (2) Win your bowl game, (3) Let the sportswriters declare a "champion."

That system was at least honest about how much (or little) the championship was worth. The BCS gives the whole system a veneer of underserved legitimacy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #22
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Actually, if I were king of the world, I'd set up a system like this: (1) Old-school bowl tie-ins for Conference champs. (2) At the end of the bowls, the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the AP play in the "championship" game. (3) If the #1 and #2 teams just played in a bowl, then switch it to #1 v. #3. (4) If there is a tie in the AP poll that screws any of this up, the schools settle it with hot cheerleader jello wrestling.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #23
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Good for Iowa - go undefeated, win the Big-11, go to the Rose Bowl and get crushed by 6 touchdowns by Oregon.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
sooner333
College Starter

GO U Northwestern!
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa does pretty well in bowl games, after they were routed by USC in 2002, Ferentz learned how to prepare. They may lose but I don't think it will be q rout.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

tarcone, I hope Iowa beats the shit out of Ohio St.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not sure if it's confirmed but some guys on the Michigan Rivals site posted that they heard Stanzi is out for the season. Shoulda' never posted about it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #28
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Jinx indeed...Iowa goes down to Northwestern.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #29
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

At least I wont have to root for Ohio State now. Phew!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote