Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

PepsiCo hit with $1.26 billion damages in lawsuit

No show in court could cost PepsiCo $1.26 billion in bottled water ruling - Yahoo! Canada News

Interesting case.

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
aran
High School Varsity

How can you claim that you have the rights to the idea of bottling purified water in one serving containers? IP law astounds me.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
How can you claim that you have the rights to the idea of bottling purified water in one serving containers? IP law astounds me.

IP law in this country (and plenty of other countries) is pretty messed up.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
SportsDino
College Prospect

Pretty big stretch, they don't have the rights to the idea of purified water, they are trying to claim Pepsi is violating a contract that a subsidiary made. Probably wouldn't have left the launch pad if the Pepsi legal staff was doing its job properly, and will probably be battered down pretty quickly.

Sadly, cases like this erode support for protecting IP, but we need a system to protect people with truly original ideas. Whether they are artistic or inventions... these cases need to be treated seriously for the day when a 'Pepsico' really does steal a genius invention and uses its corporate muscle to try and pass it off as its own (something I have a real fear of to be honest, I won't even discuss most of my inventions unless its something I've already been paid for).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
Pretty big stretch, they don't have the rights to the idea of purified water, they are trying to claim Pepsi is violating a contract that a subsidiary made. Probably wouldn't have left the launch pad if the Pepsi legal staff was doing its job properly, and will probably be battered down pretty quickly.

Sadly, cases like this erode support for protecting IP, but we need a system to protect people with truly original ideas. Whether they are artistic or inventions... these cases need to be treated seriously for the day when a 'Pepsico' really does steal a genius invention and uses its corporate muscle to try and pass it off as its own (something I have a real fear of to be honest, I won't even discuss most of my inventions unless its something I've already been paid for).
It would be interesting to hear all the facts.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Will Coke be next? One of my favorite Onion articles:

Coke-Sponsored Rover Finds Evidence Of Dasani On Mars | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
Coke-Sponsored Rover Finds Evidence Of Dasani On Mars
MARCH 24, 2004 | ISSUE 40•12

PASADENA, CA—The Coca-Cola-sponsored Real Rover has discovered evidence that the surface of Mars was once partially covered by free-flowing Dasani, scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory announced Monday.

ENLARGE IMAGE

The Real Rover.

"The Real Rover's instruments found signs that cool, refreshing Dasani once drenched the surface of the Red Planet," said Dr. Marvin Chen, NASA space-science administrator and temporary liaison to Coca-Cola. "This discovery is so exciting, because it indicates that the Red Planet may have once hosted a healthy, active, fun-filled microscopic life. You see, Dasani would have been as vital to Martian lifeforms as it is to their terrestrial counterparts."

The Real Rover's March 19 launch marked the culmination of a two-year project designed by NASA and funded in part by a $400 million grant from the Coca-Cola corporation.

The logo-covered rover touched down Sunday, landing inside a crater newly christened Lymoni Spritenum. The rover then used its abrasion tool to grind below the surface, where it located cracks filled with several types of gray hematites—minerals known to form only in the presence of Dasani.

"It's true that pure, delicious Dasani is one of the most common compounds in the universe," Chen said. "But the abundant mineral deposits in the rocks indicate that the cool, life-enriching Dasani was indigenous to Mars, rather than the frozen Dasani core of a comet that collided with the planet."

ENLARGE IMAGE

Bottle of Dasani

Further study of the data will be necessary to determine whether the minerals formed as sedimentary deposits from standing surface pools of Dasani, or accumulated through the action of flowing ground-Dasani.

"Dasani comes in many forms," Chen said. "On Earth, we find it in servings as small as four ounces or as large as a 48-liter multi-pack. The first stows easily in your purse, and the latter is the life of the party. In between, there are other sizes perfect for a gym bag, a car's cupholder, or a child's lunch bag. Similarly, Dasani could have existed on Mars in various forms, like ice or vapor, and in many convenient locations, such as Martian oceans or the craters dotting the planet's surface."

Chen said scientists hope to confirm that icy Dasani exists at the southern pole of Mars, as recent spectral images from the European Space Agency's Mars Express Orbiter suggest.

"In the coming days, we'll be moving the Real Rover in the direction of the possible polar Dasani caps," Chen said. "As we continue to explore Mars, we hope to find Dasani distributed everywhere."

NASA geologist Matt Golombek, who chose the landing sites for the rovers, said confirming that Dasani exists on Mars would be a boon for the scientific community.

ENLARGE IMAGE

NASA scientists cheer the recent discovery.

"Finding a source of water—er, Dasani—would mean future manned missions to Mars would not need to bring tanks of it with them," Golombek said. "Although establishing manned bases on Mars is still a far-future scenario, the existence of Dasani would make such a plan theoretically possible. Also, knowing that the liquid is there would likely lead to more sponsored exploration on the Red Planet and an eventual bottling plant."

Golombek said he is excited to continue the work of analyzing the data collected by the Real Rover.

"Understanding liquid... Dasani's role on the Martian surface is crucial," Golombek said. "Now that we've established that this life-giving substance was once... I'm supposed to say 'available solar-system-wide'... we can begin to consider whether life once existed on Mars, and if it did, what disaster befell the planet to eliminate it."

"Not that running out of Dasani isn't disastrous enough!" Chen interjected. "One fact is clear: Life on Mars was a lot more probable when abundant Dasani was present, just as life is more enjoyable on Earth when you've got Dasani. If you don't want to be dry and lifeless yourself, stock up on cool, refreshing Dasani bottled water."

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-30-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd feel worse for PepsiCo if this sort of patent abuse wasn't practiced regularly by corporate America. It's only frivolous when you're the target.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
SportsDino
College Prospect

Ya, without knowing all the facts I can't say anything really... I just think its not an issue of patents or copyright or anything like that, it is more a question of whether they violated a contract.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote