Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
cuervo72
Head Coach

The Washington Redskins

I've been living in the general Washington media area for a while, and listen to sports radio out of DC (980) regularly. Now, I'm an Eagles fan, but I like hearing general sports talk and I like hearing what is going on regarding one of the Eagles' rivals.

Well, things around here these days are interesting, to say the least. The team stinks, the coach is being lead around like a toddler on a harness, and things are a general mess. The owner (Dan Snyder, duh) has always meddled, and seems to be a general dick, but now he seems to be trying to mute the fans' displeasure with his ownership and the team. Most of the info I'm seeing has been through the D.C. Sports Bog by Dan Steinberg, but I'm sure there are other reports out there.

WUSA says Skins prohibiting tailgate interviews
Redskins ban signs at FedEx Field
Skins lawyer says signs were poking fans' heads
Behavior Change: Skins Tees at MNF
Dispatch from Drama City

What I'm wondering is:

* What do Redskins fans here think of this?
* How much coverage is this getting outside of DC? Any?
* What are the general impressions of the Redskins, both now and historically as a franchise?*

* I've heard folks - around here anyway - call the Redskins "one of the crown jewel franchises" of the NFL, that the NFL is better off with a strong franchise in DC. I'm not sure I buy that; it sounds like Skins fans think their team is more important than it is. I wouldn't claim the same about the Eagles, fwiw.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-28-2009 at 09:43 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

If you have the time, take the time to read the partial transcript of the Mike Wise interview with Dave Donovan (Redskins COO) found here:

Your T-Shirts Are Okay With FedExField. Also, Lots Of Mike Wise and Dave Donovan

It's pretty damning imo.

I would agree (as a Redskins fan) that the Redskins are, historically, one of the premiere franchises in the NFL. They have one of the more loyal/vocal fanbases, have had periods of great successes, and are in a very large media capital.

I think what is happening now is an absolute nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Up in Boston, I wouldn't really know about any of it except for following Steinberg on twitter. He is really worked up about this, huh.

Also that interview was astounding. Big surprise, but Snyder is handling this about as poorly as possible.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Any team that loses to the KC Chiefs should be banned from having their own thread on FOFC.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Redskins fans are rabid, I think thats why its a crown jewel franchise...
that being said, this has gotten to the point where chearing for Snyder to get hit by car doesnt make you a bad person.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Any team that loses to the KC Chiefs should be banned from having their own thread on FOFC.

Don't forget the Lions.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I hate Dan Snyder and I'm not even a Redskins fan. I can't imagine how they feel.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Didn't Snyder try to sue fans who wanted out of season tickets (due to the economy), even though the Redskins have a waiting list that is extremely long?

Interesting article.

Steven Pearlstein - Steve Pearlstein: It's time to break the NFL's monopolies - washingtonpost.com
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

If gaming consoles can have their own monthly threads, I don't see why a football team worth over a billion dollars can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Didn't Snyder try to sue fans who wanted out of season tickets (due to the economy), even though the Redskins have a waiting list that is extremely long?

Interesting article.

Steven Pearlstein - Steve Pearlstein: It's time to break the NFL's monopolies - washingtonpost.com

Yes...they sued ticket holders including an elderly grandmother.

The thing I've heard about the "waiting list" is that it's largely a fabrication. Stories of folks who had season tickets and given them up being called again. People receiving unsolicited fancy brochures in the mail with offers for season tickets. Current season ticket holders being offered additional tickets. Folks who were on the waiting list who turned down tickets being offered them again. That sort of thing. Steve Czaban (FSR and local host) thinks that blackouts may be on the horizon. He could be right if Snyder has sufficiently alienated his fan base.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If gaming consoles can have their own monthly threads, I don't see why a football team worth over a billion dollars can't.

LOL. You ARE pretty grumpy about this.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When I worked at a law firm in D.C., I got the sense that the Redskins had a built in base of "It's a good thing to take a client to see the Redskins" business. Not a bad business to have in a town filled with lobbyists and other corporate types.

Now, however, the Redskins are so bad that I can imagine that even that business has dried up. I mean, wouldn't you rather the firm just take you to a nice dinner to kiss your butt than to it's box to see the Skins lose to the Chiefs? At least you know that the steakhouse isn't going to replace your waiter with Todd Collins halfway through the meal.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
When I worked at a law firm in D.C., I got the sense that the Redskins had a built in base of "It's a good thing to take a client to see the Redskins" business. Not a bad business to have in a town filled with lobbyists and other corporate types.

Now, however, the Redskins are so bad that I can imagine that even that business has dried up. I mean, wouldn't you rather the firm just take you to a nice dinner to kiss your butt than to it's box to see the Skins lose to the Chiefs? At least you know that the steakhouse isn't going to replace your waiter with Todd Collins halfway through the meal.

but if it's his shift to come on...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Now, however, the Redskins are so bad that I can imagine that even that business has dried up.

I would imagine that they go to these games more for the booze, food, women, and business deals than for the actual product on the field. At least I would hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I mean, wouldn't you rather the firm just take you to a nice dinner to kiss your butt than to it's box to see the Skins lose to the Chiefs? At least you know that the steakhouse isn't going to replace your waiter with Todd Collins halfway through the meal.

Hopefully Collins throws a better spiral in the kitchen.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote