Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ping: History Buffs

I'm looking for some literature advice. I have a BA in History, but during my college tenure (for reasons unbeknownst to anyone), I actively avoided any and all US History courses. I now regret that decision immensely, even though I picked up a pretty incredible array of courses covering anything from the history of the Pacific Islands to Ancient Greek Warfare.

I'm now looking to remedy my dreaded lack of anything remotely resembling US History knowledge other than my High School days, which are now more than a decade behind me. I picked up a book on Lee and Grant which I am enjoying, but I find myself wanting to "start at the beginning," so to speak, so I'm looking for anything from the earliest colonization to the founding of the US. I'm sure a Google or Amazon search would provide me with plenty of suggestions, but I know we have a sizable history buff crowd here and wanted to pick your brains before I went delving off on my own.

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Sgran
High School Varsity

Picking a "beginning" is tricky, so I would just decide what's more interesting to you. If you haven't read much about Native American cultures, then that should prove fascinating and eye-opening. Suffice to say that there was a lot more going on than a bunch of redskins chasing a herd of buffalo. I haven't read much about the age of exploration, but I'm sure that would prove interesting if it's your cup of tea. Personally, I would start with the Enlightenment thinkers if you haven't read much Voltaire, Rousseau, Kant (he has a seminal essay called "What is Enlightenment"), and the gang, since the founding fathers based so much of their philosophy on these thinkers.
Of course, if you haven't read Birth of a Nation, then that should be your first read. Have fun.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

1776 is a good book by David McCullough.
Memoirs of U.S. Grant is good too.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

I loved reading these:

Amazon.com: America: The Last Best Hope Volumes I & II Box Set (9781595551252): Dr. William J. Bennett: Books

Founding Brothers is a great book as is the previously mentioned 1776.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Conquest by Hugh Thomas is a great book on Spanish Colonization of the Americas
Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Super Ugly
High School JV

I'd pick up a copy of 'The Limits of Liberty' by Maldwyn Jones (Oxford University Press). It covers the whole sweep of American history up to the early 90s (I don't think it's been updated much since 1995). It's an academic book, so you might find it a little dry, but it's prerequisite reading for US history courses here in the UK. I'm not aware of anything better.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
1776 is a good book by David McCullough.

I have been wanting to read this one for a long time but forgot about it. Thanks JK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'll have some suggestions when I get home an stuff.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I know you're looking for books but you might want to go to History Channel's online store and order a few sets. They are very informational and for most part accurate although some of the stuff about the American Revolution is pure fabrication. Again I understand you want books but I thought this would be an alternative if you were looking for one.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

For the Civil War era, Battle Cry of Freedom (Amazon.com: Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Oxford History of the United States) (9780195038637): James M. McPherson: Books) is a must. Comprehensive at the run up and execution of the war looking at all sides.

Also, Goodwin's Team of Rivals (Amazon.com: Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (9780684824901): Doris Kearns Goodwin: Books) is an excellent biography of Lincoln, particularly how he managed his cabinet.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Changes in the Land is a good book that examines the environmental changes in New England during colonization. I read it during college, so it's been a while, but I remember it as eye opening.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Issacson is good.

While it is a work of fiction, "Killer Angels" is a great work on the battle of Gettysburg. Michael Shaara wrote.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

I know he gets a lot of flack, but I loved Stephen Ambrose's book on Lewis and Clark. His writing style makes for a good read.

I also have a BA in History, but neglected lots of early American history. I focused on military and technology history. Really interesting stuff, but I'm obviously lacking in some areas.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I really enjoyed "The Unknown American Revolution" by Gary Nash. It starts out in the 1740's, and does a great job of looking at the events of the time from the point of view of women, Native Americans, slaves, the poor, and religious minorities. If you read that along with a book like "The Radicalism of the American Revolution" by Gordon Wood you'll have a pretty good overview of the War of Independence.

I haven't read Paul Johnson's "History of the American People" yet, but I've heard it's excellent. Considering he's a conservative historian, you may want to counter-balance it with something by Howard Zinn.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Zinn, his primary source book, Voices of a People's History, is a great collection of largely forgotten voices. It still has an obvious bias, but by letting people speak for themselves it makes a good reference if used with other sources. I wouldn't necessarily recommend People's History, but Voices is a good collection.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Democracy in America, this gives you an idea of what things were like way back when.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Conquistadors by Michael Wood is a good (safe) book highlighting the biggest European conquests of North and South America.

If you want to take it back a bit before that, Over the Edge of the World is one of the best history books I've ever read detailing the amazing voyage of Magellan with a writing style that brings you back to the era with ease.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-15-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Dutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I really enjoyed Team of Rivals which was mentioned up the page.

Right now I'm reading From Colony to Superpower - US Foreign Relations Since 1776 by George C. Herring. It's pretty good so far, it fills in a lot of the gaps in between wars where the country's foreign policy goals aren't as well known by many (including me), and of course there is a lot attention given to the nation's diplomacy in the run-up to war/war/post-war settlements.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-15-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
path12
Coordinator

You mentioned reading something with Lee and Grant.

Shelby Foote's three volume history of the Civil War is one of my very favorite reads, history or otherwise. I could not recommend it enough.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I have been wanting to read this one for a long time but forgot about it. Thanks JK!

You're welcome. I wish I knew where my copy was...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #21
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks everyone! This gives me a great jumping-off point to start with...I'll let you all know what I decide to read and what I think of it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote