Shawn of the Dead 9 29.03%
Other 3 9.68%
Night of the Trout of the Living Dead 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
JediKooter
Coordinator

POLL: Best Zombie Movie Ever

Ok, with Zombieland coming out on Friday and with me with one Ambein and 3 beers in me, got me thinking...What's the best zombie movie ever? Don't get me wrong, these are zombie movies, not Gone With the Wind or Titanic and I never expect much in the way of character development and am pretty forgiving of plot holes.

Last Man on Earth/Omega Man/I am Ledgend are not zombie movies if anyone is confused.

There's of course the classic Night of the Living Dead, black and white, so so acting, BUT, is a decent movie in my opinion.

Dawn of the Dead (the original) is probably my favorite. I have not seen it in a while, but, it is the one I compare other zombie movies to.

Then in the 80s, we had a couple of zombie movies that came out (Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead and Return of the Living Dead 2) that are not too bad, but, not as good as Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead.

The remake of Dawn of the Dead wasn't bad, but, it was a remake that didn't need to be made in my opinion.

Shawn of the Dead has to be one of my favorite 'modern' zombie movies to date and I'm not really sure if I can count the Resident Evil movies as zombie movies even though characters bitten do exhibit the same symptoms and then metamorphosis into a 'zombie' like entity, as they do in other zombie movies. I'm willing to let these movies be called zombie movies if enough people agree.

Now there's a few I am sure that I missed and if anyone wants to add to the list, please feel free to do so.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to make this a poll.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 09-30-2009 at 11:21 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I went with Shaun, just because it was such a film that was different from the rest and BRILLIANT!

It was a difficult pick over Night, but it came down to which was actually the better film.

No 28 Days Later?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I went with Shaun, just because it was such a film that was different from the rest and BRILLIANT!

It was a difficult pick over Night, but it came down to which was actually the better film.

No 28 Days Later?

Ah, see, I knew I would miss a movie or two. I will have to see it again to get a good opinion about 28 Days Later.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
Pyser
Pro Rookie

technically 28 days later was rage, not zombies
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Can't wait to see Zombieland.

I'd have to go with the original Dawn of the Dead. I love the idea of bunkering in a mall from the zombie hordes. The remake was solid, but I'll always give the nod to the original.

Another zombie movie from the 80's was Night of the Comet. I wouldn't suggest it for the poll though since it was pretty rough.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

no Zombie Strippers?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I voted for Shaun of the Dead...

because of this scene...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

This poll is useless w/o the Evil Dead movies.

This is my Boomstick!!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
This poll is useless w/o the Evil Dead movies.

This is my Boomstick!!

Hail to the King, baby.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Calis
College Starter

It would have to be Dawn for me with Night coming in a pretty close second. The acting bring downs Night but it still succeeds after all these years in still being pretty creepy and really created the genre.

I need to buy it on DVD again. Somehow I ended up with only the remastered version on DVD which is pretty terrible. They changed the music and added scenes 30 years later which stick out pretty obviously.

Dawn just seemed so much more epic and had a great sense of humor. Comparitevely it seemed to have quite a budget as well.

My third place vote might go to Dead Alive. Peter Jackson at his finest.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I went with the original Dawn of the Dead, thought I think I actually like the re-make better. It's not really fair to call it a re-make. The only similarities are the title, the zombies and the fact that both take place in a shopping mall. While the re-make lacked any of the social commentary (over the years I have become more and more annoyed with Romero's "social commentary" as it has become insanely heavy-handed) of the original, it more than made up for it in sheer zombie awesomeness. The entire first part of that movie up to the credits is one of the best opening sequences in any movie, ever. I was blown away by it.

I'm actually a big fan of the Night Of the Living Dead re-make from the 80's. That was a much more true-to-form re-make than the new Dawn movie.

None of the Evil Dead movies are zombie movies, people. Please, don't confuse genres.

Zombie Strippers? Don't be fatuous.

I never had any love for the Return of The Living Dead movies. Too silly.

While the "28 Days/Weeks Later" movies techincially did not involve the living dead, I think it fits squarely in the genre of zombie movies for a number of reasons. I wont quibble too much about rage vs. undead zombies. I loved the first one, I did not like the sequel (save the beginning).

I loved Shaun of The Dead and very psyched for Zombieland.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I went with the original Dawn of the Dead, thought I think I actually like the re-make better. It's not really fair to call it a re-make. The only similarities are the title, the zombies and the fact that both take place in a shopping mall ... The entire first part of that movie up to the credits is one of the best opening sequences in any movie, ever. I was blown away by it.
Absolutely agree. Think the 'remake' was much better than the original, although I remember loving the original back in the mid 80s.

However, its not fair to compare both due to the much increased sophistication of acting, directing, and special effects. Still love both for the time periods they came from.

I have both in my B-movie collection.

Also enjoy the 28 days franchise. Can do without Shaun of the Dead, eh.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-30-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Absolutely agree. Think the 'remake' was much better than the original, although I remember loving the original back in the mid 80s.

However, its not fair to compare both due to the much increased sophistication of acting, directing, and special effects. Still love both for the time periods they came from.

I have both in my B-movie collection.

I think the better comparison, since they were released and made right around the same time, would be between Snyder's "Dawn" and Romero's "Land". The former was a great zombie movie. I was very sketpical about the whole "fast zombie" thing, but it worked and I loved it. The latter was a steaming pile of crap that I have gone off on, at length, in these here parts. It showed that even with the increased "sophistication of acting, directing, and special effects" Romero had either lost "it" or would have never been able to overcome some of his flaws as a filmmaker.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

I accidentally voted for Dawn instead of Night.

I thought Shaun of the Dead was lame, although my wife enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the 28 days movies.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
Calis
College Starter

See I would put the 28 movies clearly in the Zombie movie category and something like Evil Dead not in it. I think the presence of traditional zombies is less important than the theme of the movie.

I would say that the first half or so of 28 Days Later is the best Zombie portrayal. Awesome job with making it terrifying, depressing, and extremely lonely. They hit that perfectly, and one of my favorite soundtracks also. The 2nd half...ehh, not a fan at all.

28 Weeks Later had an awesome intro scene. It ended up being a little too convenient and far-fetched at times, but I still enjoyed it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
JediKooter
Coordinator

Crap, I can't figure out how to edit the poll so Shaun of the Dead is spelled correctly.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
hawk4669
High School JV

I looooooved Shaun of the Dead, but have to go with the original Dawn here. To me, the original Dawn set the gold standard. But that's just me.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here's Evil Dead knowledge for ya!

My friend from HS's mom was the girl raped by the tree. Christ she is still hot too.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, best zombie move? Night of the Creeps.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote