Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #2001
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Potential recruiting change-of-heart on the airwaves in KC this morning. Carl Henry was interviewed by the morning show on a local KC radio station. He said that Xavier and CJ Henry are not yet sure they want to attend Kansas. They are reportedly going to put their heads together (code for crunching the $$$) and decide on whether they want to go to Kentucky or Kansas.

How can UK absorb two more scholarships. At last count, weren't they overbooked by 5? Meeks leaving means they'd need to get rid of 4 scholarship players, the Henrys would mean 6? There's got to be some backlash there, no?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #2002
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Former highly recruited Duke guard Elliot Williams (soph) is transferring to Memphis this fall. I guess his mother is ill and he wants to be closer to home. There's some talk that he'll get a hardship waiver and be eligible to play this fall. If that happens (albeit for sad reasons in real life), it will be a big boost to Memphis.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #2003
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
How can UK absorb two more scholarships. At last count, weren't they overbooked by 5? Meeks leaving means they'd need to get rid of 4 scholarship players, the Henrys would mean 6? There's got to be some backlash there, no?

CJ Henry has already said he could walk on.

Looks like the Henry Brothers have reaffirmed their commit to Kansas.

Xavier Henry says he’ll keep his commitment to KU - Kansas City Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Lance Stephensen to Cincinnati.

Happy to see that. He'll be a perfect fit there.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-01-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #2004
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Former highly recruited Duke guard Elliot Williams (soph) is transferring to Memphis this fall. I guess his mother is ill and he wants to be closer to home. There's some talk that he'll get a hardship waiver and be eligible to play this fall. If that happens (albeit for sad reasons in real life), it will be a big boost to Memphis.

There's little question he'll get the waiver. There's plenty of similar situations. The blessing from Coach K when he was released all but guarantees it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #2005
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's little question he'll get the waiver. There's plenty of similar situations. The blessing from Coach K when he was released all but guarantees it.

Actually Alex Stephenson was in almost the exact same situation last year going from UNC to USC and the NCAA denied his waiver request.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #2006
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually Alex Stephenson was in almost the exact same situation last year going from UNC to USC and the NCAA denied his waiver request.

Perhaps I'm missing some information, but I'm pretty sure the situation is different. Stephenson was denied a waiver because they couldn't prove that his family member (believe it was his father) needed the additional help. My understanding of the Williams situation is that he'll be involved in the care of his mother and that his help is needed.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #2007
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The more I hear about Xavier Henry, the less I care. It's painfully obvious that he's a one-and-done guy, which means long-term he'll have minimal impact on the Kansas basketball program. I'm much more excited about Collins and Aldrich returning for another season. KU is a team that didn't lose a single player who played significant minutes last year, and added Elijah Johnson (5* PG) and Thomas Robinson (4* PF). They'll be one of the deepest teams in the country and a solid contender with or without Henry.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #2008
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Agreed 100%- the biggest thing for us was Aldrich and Collins staying. That said, I'd almost always have more talent as opposed to less talent and if he's the caliber of player people think, I wouldn't mind having one more bullet in the chamber.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #2009
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does the news that the Henry brothers will be staying with Bill Self and KU mean that "outbid" Calipari and Kentucky for the boys' services?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #2010
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Possibly, tho I don't know if our donors have as deep of pockets as theirs. Tho, it could be a classic "leverage another offer to sweeten yours" deal

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #2011
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
We were talking about Calipari just last week at work. You put a guy that dirty in a place with the huge wealth of resources and hungry admin willing to look the other way and they're going to test the death penalty limit (not that the NCAA would ever have the stones to do that to a major program).

Looks like we've seen the first glimpse of that.

SI
I'm no so sure the AD is that willing to look the other way. Thus far Barnhart has placed quite a bit of emphasis on avoiding trouble with the NCAA, especially considering our past history and after dealing with football probation when he took the job. In fact, he opened Calipari's introductory press conference by addressing these issues. That said I'm slightly worried about what we are getting into with Calipari. However, from what I understand the NCAA really turned over the tables at Memphis and if all they found was the Rose SAT issue and some travel money that needed to be reimbursed then I think we'll be okay.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #2012
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, Kansas may regret landing the Henry brothers. Between their aspirations and their dad's mouth, they may cause more problems than they're worth for one year...........

TAKE TWO: An alternative look at the day in sports - ColumbiaTribune.com
Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #2013
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Boy, Kansas may regret landing the Henry brothers. Between their aspirations and their dad's mouth, they may cause more problems than they're worth for one year...........

TAKE TWO: An alternative look at the day in sports - ColumbiaTribune.com
These kids may be the prime example of why the NBA really needs a 2 years out of H.S. rule if they're going to have any such rule. Making it 1 year allows kids to not even pretend to care about academics, but 2 years would force them to take a few quarters/semesters of classes and stay academically eligible.

The current system solves little.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #2014
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

The NBA doesn't care about the college game nor about the athletes that they are drafting. The main reason the NBA created the rule was to save some money on sending scouts to high school basketball games and then also to have the college game market these young men for a year before they are drafted. The NBA age limit is a complete and utter joke. I truly wish the NCAA would find a way to resolve this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
These kids may be the prime example of why the NBA really needs a 2 years out of H.S. rule if they're going to have any such rule. Making it 1 year allows kids to not even pretend to care about academics, but 2 years would force them to take a few quarters/semesters of classes and stay academically eligible.

The current system solves little.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #2015
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a blast from the past. An article with an interview of Dave Bliss, the former Baylor coach..........

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.31ca8d8.html
Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #2016
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some sad news to report for Mizzou fans on the board. Norm Stewart's granddaughter was killed in a car crash yesterday.........

Crash into tree kills Columbia woman - ColumbiaTribune.com
Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #2017
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some sad news to report for Mizzou fans on the board. Norm Stewart's granddaughter was killed in a car crash yesterday.........

That is sad.. no seat belt..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #2018
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Awful news. Thoughts and prayers to the entire Stewart family.

Quote:

Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #2019
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big commitment over the weekend for Mizzou. They've landed Phil Pressey, a great PG out of Texas. He had other visits planned after the MU visit this weekend, but decided to commit to Mizzou after the football game last night.

Point guard Pressey commits to MU hoops - Kansas City Star

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-13-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #2020
MrBug708
Head Coach

Isn't he like 5'5?

Josh Smith is reportedly looking hard at Oklahoma
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #2021
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Isn't he like 5'5?

And also Oregon too.

I wonder what might be behind these recent developments...

Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #2022
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Big commitment over the weekend for Mizzou. They've landed Phil Pressey, a great PG out of Texas. He had other visits planned after the MU visit this weekend, but decided to commit to Mizzou after the football game last night.

The Columbia Tribune, who broke the story, has since deleted the article on their site...and while rivals hinted at it, I dont see it official on there yet. Not sure its quite official yet, so I would hold off on celebrating just yet
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 09-13-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #2023
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
And also Oregon too.

I wonder what might be behind these recent developments...

Oregon is just a random rumor I think. Dunigan is gonna be good so that would be a dumb move for Smith. The reason I think the Oklahoma rumor is gaining legs is that ASU had two top 150 kids decommit in the past month or so and both are thought to be headed to UCLA if Smith does end up somewhere else
Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #2024
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

A great pickup for Missouri when it's confirmed. Pressey is the son of one of Anderson's former teammates and close friends plus he's visited Missouri on a number of occasions so it wasn't a surprise to hear he verballed to Missouri. He'll definitely be a great fit for Anderson's style of play.

Quote:

Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #2025
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Pressey is indeed a smaller point guard (listed at 5'7"), but he's very quick and can really run the floor. He'll be a great fit for Mike Anderson's system. Most scouting reports I've seen on Pressey, people have been very impressed with him. Good shooter, tenacious defender, and loves to run. Like I said, a great fit for Anderson's system.

Quote:
Isn't he like 5'5?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #2026
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's an article on the Pressey commit. This kid is EXACTLY the player we've been looking for to run the show here at Mizzou. Crazy handles and assist capability with a suffocating defensive presence. Our recruiting will improve because of this kid just because everyone will want to be on the other end of his assists.

Pressey commits to Missouri - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Pressey commits to Missouri

Phil Pressey committed to Missouri on Sunday.

So that means one of my favorite players from the Class of 2010 will play for Mike Anderson.

Sure, there are better prospects in the class, better point guards even. But over the past two summers I don't think I've enjoyed watching anybody as much as I've enjoyed watching Pressey, whom Scout.com ranks as the nation's 33rd-best prospect. He's a little-bitty point guard -- a pest on the defensive end, a brilliant passer on the other. I've seen him take over games, bring two observers named LeBron James and Chris Paul out of their seats. And I was so blown away by Pressey two summers ago that I wrote a whole column about him.

You can click this link (Size doesn't matter for prep standout Pressey - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com ) to check it out.

And Missouri fans, man, you're going to enjoy this dude.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #2027
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Oregon is just a random rumor I think. Dunigan is gonna be good so that would be a dumb move for Smith. The reason I think the Oklahoma rumor is gaining legs is that ASU had two top 150 kids decommit in the past month or so and both are thought to be headed to UCLA if Smith does end up somewhere else

Where are you hearing this from? I know Caudill and Turner are teammates, and Turner seems the more likely to sign somewhere else, but Caudill is telling the ASU sites they are still the big leader for his services, his parents just want him to check out the other options(he only visited ASU) before he decides on his future since he still has 2 years left. While I dont doubt UCLA is prob. going to be a key player in both of their recruitments, I also hadnt heared them mentioned once by either player as both are still singing ASU's praises despite their decommitments. Just wondering if there is any legs to your story, or just some wishful thinking around the UCLA boards(not to say it may not be true, just not backed in evidence).
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #2028
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oklahoma is one of Nike's primary basketball schools, and Smith's AAU team is Nike-sponsored. UCLA is not a Nike school.

I think we all are somewhat aware of the underside of college basketball recruiting and the influence AAU teams and shoe companies have - this sure smells like a prime case brewing, because the word for the last few months is that Smith to UCLA was a done deal.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #2029
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Oklahoma is one of Nike's primary basketball schools, and Smith's AAU team is Nike-sponsored. UCLA is not a Nike school.

I think we all are somewhat aware of the underside of college basketball recruiting and the influence AAU teams and shoe companies have - this sure smells like a prime case brewing, because the word for the last few months is that Smith to UCLA was a done deal.

I think Josh Smith might have looked at a depth chart of UCLA's frontcourt.

It's still note over though

On a side note, how is it posible that Oklahoma is a primary Nike basketball school? The only schools of note (for basketball at least) with ADIDAS are UCLA and Kansas, so everyone else is Nike. I'd pick about 15 schools ahead of Oklahoma.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #2030
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Where are you hearing this from? I know Caudill and Turner are teammates, and Turner seems the more likely to sign somewhere else, but Caudill is telling the ASU sites they are still the big leader for his services, his parents just want him to check out the other options(he only visited ASU) before he decides on his future since he still has 2 years left. While I dont doubt UCLA is prob. going to be a key player in both of their recruitments, I also hadnt heared them mentioned once by either player as both are still singing ASU's praises despite their decommitments. Just wondering if there is any legs to your story, or just some wishful thinking around the UCLA boards(not to say it may not be true, just not backed in evidence).

I think Turner to UCLA might be the worst kept secret. Unless McCallum ended up at UCLA, Turner is likely our next PG. As for KC, he grew up a UCLA and was practically begging for an offer. Now that Smith is looking elsewhere, I'm sure Howland turned his sights back onto the kid. He's a project kid though and UCLA won't need him the first year
Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #2031
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou fans are keeping an eye on Fayetteville this weekend. SG Ricky Scott has an official visit to Arkansas this weekend. If they don't get him to commit this weekend, the word in Columbia is that they feel like he's Mizzou's for the taking.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #2032
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lawrence, Kansas has just exploded over the last couple of days. Multiple fights between basketball and football players. Tension has been ongoing for years reportedly. The Facebook posts from Tyshawn Taylor are laughable.

KU basketball, football players involved in three altercations - Kansas City Star

Foolish fisticuffs a punch to the gut for Jayhawks - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Brawls at KU were simmering for a long time - Kansas City Star

Insiders in St. Louis are also leaking that this fiasco has already cost KU a shot at Bradley Beal, one of the top SG's in the 2011 class. His parents have privately said they pulled KU from consideration.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #2033
MrBug708
Head Coach

If you know about it, how is it privately?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #2034
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If you know about it, how is it privately?

Did you see it anywhere on the net yet? That would make it private.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #2035
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did you see it anywhere on the net yet? That would make it private.

Didn't you yourself just post links a couple posts above this? Or is that some special Internet only you have access to, and are granting us a way to see it?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #2036
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Didn't you yourself just post links a couple posts above this? Or is that some special Internet only you have access to, and are granting us a way to see it?

None of the Bradley Beal recruiting information was in those articles, which is what MrBug was asking about.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #2037
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ah, got it. Well, then, maybe next time when someone asks that, you should just say you know someone personally or whatever, rather than give Bug the asshole "no Internet==private" response, ya know?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #2038
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ah, got it. Well, then, maybe next time when someone asks that, you should just say you know someone personally or whatever, rather than give Bug the asshole "no Internet==private" response, ya know?

I was responding in the same tone of the question being asked. But you're correct that I should probably just ignore the tone of the question and answer it in a more polite tone. Fair point.

And yes, I was told about the Beal situation by someone last night who frequents the AAU circuit and knows many of the coaches.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-24-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #2039
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was responding in the same tone of the question being asked. But you're correct that I should probably just ignore the tone of the question and answer it in a more polite tone. Fair point.

And yes, I was told about the Beal situation by someone last night who frequents the AAU circuit and knows many of the coaches.

I guess I could see reading his question that way, but I think you read it more harshly than he intended it. I think it's reasonable to assume you learned the information second hand (via Internet), since for 99.99% of us on 99.99% of the info out there, it's via the media that we do learn these things, and not by direct association.

But, yeah, I see where you're coming from on that.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #2040
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I guess I could see reading his question that way, but I think you read it more harshly than he intended it. I think it's reasonable to assume you learned the information second hand (via Internet), since for 99.99% of us on 99.99% of the info out there, it's via the media that we do learn these things, and not by direct association.

But, yeah, I see where you're coming from on that.

Meh, when in doubt, blame me.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #2041
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass' coach kicked our only returning post player (Tyrell Lynch) off the team. He was foul-prone and only averaged 3 and 3 as a RS freshman, but he showed potential. Suspicion is academics since he was originally a non-qualifier at Auburn who had to sit his first year, but word is he had "team chemistry" problems. I didn't think we were going to be a contendor this year to the point people would be posting in threads about us, but it's frustrating to keep "rebuilding" (7 freshman, 2 new transfers this year) when half the players are gone before they become upperclassmen.

In my other response to that story, I'm glad at UMass that the basketball players and football players got along. It was mostly the football players against the drug dealers from Springfield competing for the girls by throwing around money at the bars that led to fights. I had a friend who worked as a bouncer at the one prominent "black" bar in Amherst (awkwardly called Monkey Bar) who told me they cleaned blood off the floor at least 3x a night when the two groups met.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-24-2009 at 01:05 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #2042
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

This is a complete joke and being blown way out of proportion, IMHO. From what I have heard in the interviews, it sounds like the whole issue is over a girl and it's only a small group of guys on the basketball and football teams. The only reason this is even getting publicity is because of Tyshawn Taylor injuring his hand otherwise it would still be private as it has been for the last few months (note months not years as suggested). It's basically college kids being stupid about an ex-girlfriend.

As for Tyshawn Taylor's Facebook posts those were actually song lyrics from Lil Wayne. Not that it excuses his language.

PS: How did I know Mizzou B-Ball fan would post this topic?

Quote:
Lawrence, Kansas has just exploded over the last couple of days. Multiple fights between basketball and football players. Tension has been ongoing for years reportedly. The Facebook posts from Tyshawn Taylor are laughable.

KU basketball, football players involved in three altercations - Kansas City Star

Foolish fisticuffs a punch to the gut for Jayhawks - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Brawls at KU were simmering for a long time - Kansas City Star

Insiders in St. Louis are also leaking that this fiasco has already cost KU a shot at Bradley Beal, one of the top SG's in the 2011 class. His parents have privately said they pulled KU from consideration.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 09-24-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #2043
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
This is a complete joke and being blown way out of proportion, IMHO. From what I have heard in the interviews, it sounds like the whole issue is over a girl and it's only a small group of guys on the basketball and football teams. The only reason this is even getting publicity is because of Tyshawn Taylor injuring his hand otherwise it would still be private as it has been for the last few months (note months not years as suggested). It's basically college kids being stupid about an ex-girlfriend.

As for Tyshawn Taylor's Facebook posts those were actually song lyrics from Lil Wayne. Not that it excuses his language.

PS: How did I know Mizzou B-Ball fan would post this topic?

You knew I'd post it because I'm a Mizzou fan who loves to see the beakers make fools of themselves.

This kind of stuff makes me SO glad that we have a coach that is willing to pass on a player if his character is in question. It may hurt our chances of winning, but better to do that than embarrass a loyal fan base like this. It's pretty sad that Self had to come out yesterday and apologize for the behavior of his players.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #2044
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Just got some more info on the Beal situation with KU. Sounds like Bill Self called Beal and basically threw his own players under the bus to attempt to get back into his parents' good graces. We'll see if it works.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #2045
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You knew I'd post it because I'm a Mizzou fan who loves to see the beakers make fools of themselves.

This kind of stuff makes me SO glad that we now have a coach that is willing to pass on a player if his character is in question. It may hurt our chances of winning, but better to do that than embarrass a loyal fan base like this. It's pretty sad that Self had to come out yesterday and apologize for the behavior of his players.

Just wanted to add the bolded clarifier.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #2046
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Just wanted to add the bolded clarifier.

Quin was just the opposite. What a mess that was.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #2047
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

It's not just KU though. You've gone after other programs since I first noticed you on these forums. It's like you have such a little man syndrome. I

The same Mike Anderson whose own son had a DUI while playing for the Tigers. Kalen Grimes, was arrested for second degree battery for hitting someone with the butt of a shotgun. He had multiple players (Horton, Butterfield, Hannah, etc) get in trouble for a fight in a restaurant. Butterfield then was arrested for a dispute with his girlfriend. Yeah, these are real character players. Need I go on?

Unlike you, I'm not going to sit here and claim Mike Anderson is taking shortcuts to win. I think Mike Anderson is a good guy who had some players that made poor decisions. Like it or not, these coaches are dealing with kids who are going to make the occasional poor decision.

Quote:

This kind of stuff makes me SO glad that we have a coach that is willing to pass on a player if his character is in question. It may hurt our chances of winning, but better to do that than embarrass a loyal fan base like this. It's pretty sad that Self had to come out yesterday and apologize for the behavior of his players.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #2048
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Nice info. So in other words you're covering all your bases? I highly doubt Beal let's some silly fight that happened between a few athletes over a girl dispel his interest in that team.

Did you notice that KU just got a confirmed visit from one of the top prospects in 2010 and a high character recruit, Harrison Barnes. Funny how the "fight" didn't scare Harrison Barnes off.

If you actually provide a source that says Beal did not have interest in KU because of the fight then I would actually trust you. But anyone on the internet can claim sources. I have a source that says Beal won't even look at MU because of Ricky Clemmons and Steffon Hannah. Oh wait, now my sources say that Mike Anderson has thrown Ricky and Steffon under the bus so he may be interested.

Quote:
Just got some more info on the Beal situation with KU. Sounds like Bill Self called Beal and basically threw his own players under the bus to attempt to get back into his parents' good graces. We'll see if it works.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #2049
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Columbia, Missouri has just exploded over the last couple of days. A near zombie attack on the Edmonton Eskimos squad when former Tiger Xzavie Jackson left the field and returned with a shovel after getting into a fight with a teammate. Tension has been ongoing for days reportedly. The Facebook posts from Missouri B-ball fan are laughable.

http://soyoked.com/2009/09/football-...ovel-to-fight/

Insiders in St. Louis are also leaking that this fiasco has already cost MU a shot at Bradley Beal, one of the top SG's in the 2011 class. His parents have privately said they pulled MU from consideration when they heard.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #2050
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
It's not just KU though. You've gone after other programs since I first noticed you on these forums. It's like you have such a little man syndrome. I

The same Mike Anderson whose own son had a DUI while playing for the Tigers. Kalen Grimes, was arrested for second degree battery for hitting someone with the butt of a shotgun. He had multiple players (Horton, Butterfield, Hannah, etc) get in trouble for a fight in a restaurant. Butterfield then was arrested for a dispute with his girlfriend. Yeah, these are real character players. Need I go on?

All the players you listed were suspended for multiple games during Big 12 play (MU actually played with 6 players against Nebraska) or they (Grimes, Butterfield, Hannah) were booted from the program. I won't hold my breath that Bill Self will hand down any of those kinds of punishments.

The Morris twins have already shot at someone and now pushed a football player down a flight of stairs. Taylor just committed a pre-meditated assault. Collins continues to remain in Self's doghouse. Suspensions? Booted off the team? I'm waiting.