Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
NewIdentity
High School JV

Subscribe to Sports Ilustrated for $49 and get Madden 10 for free?

I saw this last night on tV. This seems like a great deal; Beats the hell out of those free phone offers.

You can look at it like either getting Madden for free when you buy 28 issues of SI, or getting 28 issues of SI for free when you buy Madden 10.

And you also get some road to canton DVD too, but no free sweatshirt.

Your choice of platform
Madden 2010 | Sports Illustrated | DVD for only $49 . discount, special offer, promotion

This $49 price is also $10 cheaper than the Amazon or Walmart price!

Last edited by NewIdentity : 08-15-2009 at 12:53 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
dervack
College Prospect

It also automatically renews, so if you forget to cancel, you're paying $98 for Madden instead.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
It also automatically renews, so if you forget to cancel, you're paying $98 for Madden instead.

Of course that's not your fault if you forget to renew... And I'm sure SI doesn't send a single reminder... Sorry just always think it's funny when people complain about things renewing that they sign up to. If you contact their subscription department you can tell them you don't want it to automatically renew MONTHS before hand.

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-16-2009 at 09:49 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Of course that's not your fault if you forget to renew... And I'm sure SI doesn't send a single reminder... Sorry just always think it's funny when people complain about things renewing that they sign up to. If you contact their subscription department you can tell them you don't want it to automatically renew MONTHS before hand.

Yeah, it was really stupid for dervack to give everyone that tip.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I might get this deal when it's time to take the game back to Blockbuster, the game is pretty good and I need some bathroom reading. I wonder how quickly they ship the game out.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yeah, it was really stupid for dervack to give everyone that tip.

Seemed like a complaint, since technically you aren't paying 98 for Madden, you are paying 49 for SI and getting Madden 10 free, and then 1 year from now you are paying 49 and getting SI still...

And it is clearly spelled out on their website that it includes automatic subscription renewal...

Madden 2010 | Sports Illustrated | DVD for only $49 . discount, special offer, promotion
Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Seemed like a complaint, since technically you aren't paying 98 for Madden, you are paying 49 for SI and getting Madden 10 free, and then 1 year from now you are paying 49 and getting SI still...

And it is clearly spelled out on their website that it includes automatic subscription renewal...

Yes, but that's not advertised in the commercial. Shouldn't you be on the lookout for more threads you can praise Time Warner in?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 08-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but that's not advertised in the commercial. Shouldn't you be on the lookout for more threads you can praise Time Warner in?

Maybe SI is owned by Time Warner. (Actually I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but figured I would stir the pot anyways)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Gotta side with dangarion on this one. Seems pretty silly to attack SI for this - it's pretty standard practice. Not sure why it should be in flashing red letters on their ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Tried to find it on the site and didn't see - anyone know when this offer expires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I think the offer renewed automatically without any notice sent to me whats so ever.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Gotta side with dangarion on this one. Seems pretty silly to attack SI for this - it's pretty standard practice. Not sure why it should be in flashing red letters on their ad.
Wasn't exactly attacking SI, just stating that it is a auto-renewing deal, which wasn't stated in the original post. That's all.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Time Warner DOES NOT EQUAL Time Warner Cable. Of course I've also been critical of TWC. I wouldn't really say I praise them, instead I try to give the side I see it from. I've never once states that TWC is the best service to have on the planet, if you need references to that I can give you phone numbers of friends that ask me to recommend our service. Anyway just wanted to reply to that comment, since you must point it out.

Quote:
Wasn't exactly attacking SI, just stating that it is a auto-renewing deal, which wasn't stated in the original post. That's all.
Sorry for taking your comment as attacking SI, that's my mistake. But the link he included did state the renewal process.

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-16-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Tried to find it on the site and didn't see - anyone know when this offer expires?
MAYBE THEY SHOULD PUT THE EXPIRATION DATE IN FLASHING RED LETTERS

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
if you need references to that I can give you phone numbers of friends that ask me to recommend our service.

Shilling a giant corporation like Time Warner on this message board? Maybe we should be calling you DroneGarion.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Shilling a giant corporation like Time Warner on this message board? Maybe we should be calling you DroneGarion.

Huh?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Huh?

Sorry, just thought up "DroneGarion" in my head, and had to use it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #19
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
This is one phone call! Sorry, I just assumed everyone would know that "subscription" meant autorenewing. But, maybe the people without Cable subscriptions, phone subscriptions, electricity subscriptions, gym subscriptions, internet subscriptions, and magazine subscriptions don't understand.

Then again, I do not understand why someone sitting in a house without electricity, water, TV, internet, or phone service would do with a copy of Madden 10.

I think these people would be better of spending the extra $10.96 and buying the game for $59.96 at Walmart.
Walmart.com: Madden NFL 10 w/ Bonus $10 eGift Card (Xbox 360): Games
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
This is one phone call! Sorry, I just assumed everyone would know that "subscription" meant autorenewing. But, maybe the people without Cable subscriptions, phone subscriptions, electricity subscriptions, gym subscriptions, internet subscriptions, and magazine subscriptions don't understand.

Then again, I do not understand why someone sitting in a house without electricity, water, TV, internet, or phone service would do with a copy of Madden 10.

I think these people would be better of spending the extra $10.96 and buying the game for $59.96 at Walmart.
Walmart.com: Madden NFL 10 w/ Bonus $10 eGift Card (Xbox 360): Games

Subscrition should not mean auto renew. Phone, cable and electrice does not equal magazine subsription. I subscribe to many magazines and when I subscribe for a year it ends in a year unless I renew it. I HATE things like this that do not give you any notice and continue to bill. I got fooled by Best Buy doing this with Sports Illustrated "Would you like to sign up for a X month subscription?" Sure, why not. Then as X month turned into X+1 month and I noticed that my card was charged again for another X months then I looked into the fine print to see auto renew. When I am asked if I want X number of months of something I EXPECT it to be only X number months of something.

I am not calling up the electric company asking for 6 months of service, nor the cable, nor the phone. That is one of the worst comparisons that I have ever heard.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: With that said, I just checked out the web site and it does specify the auto renewal. It keeps it in the main points of the offer so I have no issue with this. I also have no issue with someone pointing it out though, stating it again can never hurt.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #22
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Double dola: Also with that said I think I would rather just trade in a couple games and get Madden instead of going this route. I actually hate SI, never found it good reading. I was always a TSN person myself (loved it when it used to be in newspaper format).
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
NewIdentity
High School JV

EagleFan, and your cable, phone, and internet services? Do they autorenew at the end of the year, or do they just cut you off? Actually, most of them not only autorenew, but they also double the price after your first 6 months or whatever time it is.

Just saying.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #24
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
EagleFan, and your cable, phone, and internet services? Do they autorenew at the end of the year, or do they just cut you off? Actually, most of them not only autorenew, but they also double the price after your first 6 months or whatever time it is.

Do you seriously consider that a valid comparison? It's a MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION. As Eaglefan pointed out, most MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS do not auto renew.

This thread is surreal. How in the world are you guys ragging on someone for pointing out that if you don't proactively cancel SI and if you only subscribe to it to save $10 on the game, that you'll be billed for an extra year of service. How is that possibly a transgression worthy of this kind of response?

The Obama Presidency - hopes and predictions - Front Office Football Central <-- If you want to just randomly argue with everyone that posts after you, and if you can't tell the difference between a magazine subscription and your phone bill, you might fit in better in this thread.

Last edited by Radii : 08-17-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
NewIdentity
High School JV

It is just 1 phone call to not autorenew right. Game inhand, make 1 phone call to turn autorenew off, end of story right?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This thread is surreal. How in the world are you guys ragging on someone for pointing out that if you don't proactively cancel SI and if you only subscribe to it to save $10 on the game, that you'll be billed for an extra year of service. How is that possibly a transgression worthy of this kind of response?

Especially when mlb.com has been raked over the coals for doing the same thing (not as strongly here as some other forums, but IIRC it was noted here as well)
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just saying.

Of course you don't renew those services. YOU ARE NOT SIGNING UP FOR X MONTHS FOR THOSE SERVICES. That comparison is FAR from valid.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is just 1 phone call to not autorenew right. Game inhand, make 1 phone call to turn autorenew off, end of story right?

No one is disputing that. It was only pointed out that the condition exists. There is NO harm in that being pointed out.

As I stated earlier, SI at least points this out on their page as one of the points (of course it is designed to be the last of the points, probably hoping that everyone stops reading at FREE MADDEN 10, but it is on there and not hidden). My issue is with magazines that do this while trying to hide this fact in the fine print. If I am ordering 12 months of a magazine I expect it to be 12 months of a magazine and that it stops there. Give me an option to renew after that period, but it will be as it should be: "my option".
Old 09-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I got my copy of Madden from this offer in the mail today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote