Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aaron Corp suffered a "small crack" to his femur the other day and is out "for 1-2 weeks" which seems a bit optimistic to me. True freshman Matt Barkley has been named the starter for the time being and has a real chance to seize the job. Of course, this also gives Mitch Mustain another chance to show that he can step up.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #52
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Aaron Corp suffered a "small crack" to his femur the other day and is out "for 1-2 weeks" which seems a bit optimistic to me. True freshman Matt Barkley has been named the starter for the time being and has a real chance to seize the job. Of course, this also gives Mitch Mustain another chance to show that he can step up.

Sounds similar to 2004 when Matt Gutierrez was the starting QB for Michigan after patiently biding his time, then a day before the first game he gets hurt, which paves the way for Chad Henne to come in and never let go of the job.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #53
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah. This sucks for Corp, but basically just accelerates the process that was going to happen next year at the latest (and probably the first time Corp picked up a knock or didn't play well in a game this year) IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rutgers finally opened camp yesterday. We start off with an immediate test, welcoming Cincy to the newly expanded Rutgers Stadium on Labor Day.

Just about done, can't wait to see it all (especially the scoreboard) in person.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #55
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just about done, can't wait to see it all (especially the scoreboard) in person.

Aww how cute! Finally meets a Southern High School Stadium's standards
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #56
molson
General Manager

Greg Paulus named starting QB for the Orange.

This is one week into camp, and Paulus hadn't played organized football in 5 years.

I don't know what to say....At least my school's crappy football program will be in the news a little bit.

The Daily Orange

Last edited by molson : 08-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #57
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah. This sucks for Corp, but basically just accelerates the process that was going to happen next year at the latest (and probably the first time Corp picked up a knock or didn't play well in a game this year) IMO.

Yeah, but if Corp was able to start and play well this year, but still saw the writing on the wall, he is eligible for the 2010 draft. If Barkley starts this year (and plays well) Corp will never see the field, and be a 7th round pick.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #58
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Apparently Barkley has been outstanding through out fall camp, I will be watching a few USC games this season to see for myself.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #59
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im slowly starting to get pretty optimistic about new Mizzou QB Blaine Gabberts chances of being a pretty solid replacement for Brad Smith. He has all the talent in the world, but he appears to be putting it together and just had an excellent 18-22 performance in the scrimmage this weekend.

On the other hand, im slowly being re-assured that Danny Sullivan is not the answer at QB for Arizona State...he simply doesnt have any play making ability, and with the lack of a quality o-line in front of him, that is a big problem. Maybe the ASU d-line is just that good(possible, dexter davis and lawrence guy tore up everyone last year), but for now im guessing its going to be a long season in Tempe of watching the D dominate and the O not be able to take advantage.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #60
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson name's former parade All American RS Freshman Kyle Parker starting QB over former Parade AA RS Soph Willy Korn....

Parker will have the rare distinction of being a Junior this academic year in baseball and a freshman in football
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Im slowly starting to get pretty optimistic about new Mizzou QB Blaine Gabberts chances of being a pretty solid replacement for Brad Smith. He has all the talent in the world, but he appears to be putting it together and just had an excellent 18-22 performance in the scrimmage this weekend.

Should be a good replacement for Chase Daniel too.

I think most of the Mizzou beat writers were trying to downplay expectations for Gabbert, but it may not be possible at this point. He's been unbelievably good thus far. It would be wonderful to see our 5-star, in-state QB recruit step right in and keep this program moving forward.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Apparently Barkley has been outstanding through out fall camp, I will be watching a few USC games this season to see for myself.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but he has bounced back well from his freshman mistakes.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Clemson name's former parade All American RS Freshman Kyle Parker starting QB over former Parade AA RS Soph Willy Korn....

Parker will have the rare distinction of being a Junior this academic year in baseball and a freshman in football

Also saw in that same article that Swinney intends to redshirt Tahj Boyd. After all the rumors were that he had to promise the kid playing time to come to CU, I was a little surprised.

Hopefully either Parker or Korn will step up and own the job, not too often you see the 2-headed QB work well for a team. It sounded like from what I saw that Korn would still play some in CU's first game, so we'll see who ends up with the job by game 2, the Thursday nighter at Ga. Tech.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #64
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Also saw in that same article that Swinney intends to redshirt Tahj Boyd. After all the rumors were that he had to promise the kid playing time to come to CU, I was a little surprised.

Hopefully either Parker or Korn will step up and own the job, not too often you see the 2-headed QB work well for a team. It sounded like from what I saw that Korn would still play some in CU's first game, so we'll see who ends up with the job by game 2, the Thursday nighter at Ga. Tech.

Tajh still hasn't recovered fully from ACL surgery...all indications are he is the QB of the future.

Swinney actually said barring injury both QBs would play in EVERY game this year. Korn brings a decent set of legs and a run option opportunity so he could be a decent change up.

Parker just has a damn gun. Warming up for Saturday's scrimmage we watched him standing in the paw at mid-field, 3 step dropping and lobbing passes to Xavier Dye mid endzone, the biggeest knock on Parker is he puts ttoo much on swing and touch passes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #65
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
cartman's FOFC College Football Top 25 will open for voting this weekend. Start thinking about your top teams!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #66
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I wouldn't quite go that far, but he has bounced back well from his freshman mistakes.

5 for 17 last night...

Even Craft was disgusted
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #67
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Craft will be 0 of 17 vs that 1st team defense.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #68
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like Bryce Brown is under investigation:
Tennessee Volunteers coach Lane Kiffin says NCAA investigating Bryce Brown's eligibility - ESPN
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Glad he didn't end up picking Mizzou after reading that. What a mess.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Shocking that they would be investigating a guy whose handler was charging people for access to information on his recruitment.

Anyone who didn't see this coming was delusional.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #71
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I was just about to mention this. In other news, we just found out the sky is blue.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #72
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Ya, brain fart there on my part
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think most of the Mizzou beat writers were trying to downplay expectations for Gabbert, but it may not be possible at this point. He's been unbelievably good thus far. It would be wonderful to see our 5-star, in-state QB recruit step right in and keep this program moving forward.

Agreed.. can't wait to see him in action on the 5th!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #74
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm not sure I'm going to make it 2 more weeks, this is driving me crazy. I'm hearing things like "Ryan Mallett has had the best fall camp of any QB I've ever seen" from multiple people that have been around. Also things like "this will be an unbelieveably hi-octane offense, people are going to be shocked."

Couple that with how well the defense is starting to come together and I can barely contain my excitement for this season (I won't even talk about the following season for now).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #75
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like some trouble in Husker land before the season even starts. Their starting RB, Castille, is rumored to be in some trouble and may be out for much of the season, if not completely off the team. He wasn't at practice the last couple of days and the mods on the premium board have been removing rumors and just stating that the issue 'will be addressed by the coaches at some point'.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This afternoon Pete named Matt Barkley the starting quarterback. I'm very excited by this news. While I realize it makes our game against Ohio State more difficult and it may hurt USC's chances of winning a national title this year, I think this move will give Barkley a chance to accelerate his development and increase USC's chances of winning a national title in the following 2 years. It also can't hurt recruiting for players to see that if they are a big enough stud, they can start as a true freshman at any position.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-27-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #77
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how Mitch Mustain must feel right now that he's basically the 3rd stringer after being extremely highly touted at Arkansas a couple years back and would have easily been the starter last year and this year there.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-28-2009 at 09:03 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #78
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I wonder how Mitch Mustain must feel right now that he's basically the 3rd stringer after being extremely highly touted at Arkansas a couple years back and would have easily been the starter last year and this year there.

I've talked to a few people pretty close to the program (one ESPN guy) and he told me that Mitch's problem is that he isn't a leader nor does he want to put the extra effort in. He's content with being second/third string because he knows he'll get looked at in the NFL just based on the fact that he is at USC.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #79
MJ4H
Coordinator

He wouldn't be the starter this year with Mallett here this year, but things would be a lot different if Mustain hadn't left over all.

Incidentally, Mallett has been named starter over Tyler Wilson (finally, it has been obvious for some time, but Wilson did give a pretty good push and Petrino more-or-less called them co-starters after spring).
Old 08-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just saw that Blane Dalton, a promising freshman QB from in-state, was dismissed from the Mizzou football program. He got in some trouble over the summer. I'm guessing that he got in trouble again and was immediately booted.

Edit: Looks like he was driving drunk......

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=981560

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
He wouldn't be the starter this year with Mallett here this year, but things would be a lot different if Mustain hadn't left over all.

Incidentally, Mallett has been named starter over Tyler Wilson (finally, it has been obvious for some time, but Wilson did give a pretty good push and Petrino more-or-less called them co-starters after spring).
Would Mallett be there, though, if Mustain was? I'm guessing not.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #82
watravaler
High School JV

I saw Bryce Brown play a few years ago, simply amazing. The only time I've walked away thinking a player was better than Bo in Tecmo Bowl.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #83
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Would Mallett be there, though, if Mustain was? I'm guessing not.

I think its pretty clear he wouldn't be, Mallett was obviously only interested in playing time. Its the reason he left Michigan, and the reason he signed with Arkansas.

And for MJ4H, from the new Missouri Offensive Coordinator about our new QB, Gabbert(and by extension mallett):

“The ball just seems to jump off his hand,” Missouri offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach David Yost said of Gabbert, whose elite arm strength provides its own story line for the evolutionary tale of the Tigers’ spread offense.

“The ball seems to jump and go. A lot of times, that has to do with how much spin he puts on it. … There are some guys you watch where the ball comes off really heavy and doesn’t have much rotation on it. The ball just seems to be in the air forever. For other guys, it just jumps.”

Gabbert’s passes are jumpers.

Just how strong are we talking? Among the high school quarterback prospects Yost has seen in person, he said only Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett owns a stronger arm.

“His was freakish best, beyond anything I’ve seen,” Yost said of Mallett, the Razorbacks’ transfer from Michigan. “I once sat there and watched” Mallett “throw with the Vanderbilt coaches, and they had Jay Cutler at the time. I asked them, ‘How’s he compare to Cutler?’ They said, ‘He throws it way harder than Cutler.’ And Cutler’s considered one of the best ever to throw a football.”
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 08-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #84
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah Mallett didn't come in the first place because Mustain committed here. Like I said, things would probably be a lot different if Mustain hadn't left (no Mallett, no Petrino, still have Nutt). In the end, I think it was a good thing.

Re: Mallett, yeah his arm strength is pretty legendary these days. Watching him in the spring game, he was throwing 40 yarders on a rope like they were nothing. He does have an incredible arm. I can't wait to see what he can do in a real game with Petrino's coaching.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

For MrBug, Ohio State defensive lineman Willie Mobley will be transferring to UCLA.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #86
Logan
Head Coach

Report: Michigan football players allege NCAA violations - ESPN
Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #87
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
For MrBug, Ohio State defensive lineman Willie Mobley will be transferring to UCLA.

I saw that. I know academics prevent UCLA from initially recruiting him so it's good to see that OSU helped him get in order. If Brian Price leaves after this season, we were scary thin at DT.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #88
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

From what I've heard from KC area football coaches, Missouri is likely better off without Dalton. This is his second brush with the law this summer.

Quote:
Just saw that Blane Dalton, a promising freshman QB from in-state, was dismissed from the Mizzou football program. He got in some trouble over the summer. I'm guessing that he got in trouble again and was immediately booted.

Edit: Looks like he was driving drunk......

PowerMizzou.com - Dalton off the team
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #89
Blade6119
Coordinator

Well I think Franlin and Berkstresser have far more potential then Dalton(and Glaser), so I am pretty happy about the decision in the long run. And it may help us land a second QB in this class like a Tyler Arndt which would be a plus. The reason the younger Gabbert signed with Nebraska is we told him we were only taking one QB this class as we already had Franklin, so maybe now we can get back in the market this year or next.
Demotivation