Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Isn't a delivery company supposed to DELIVER?

UPS sucks. They always attempt to deliver when I'm not home. Today was the second delivery attempt. On the slip it said "10:30 - 2:00." Of course they attempted delivery at 6:03p. The next & final delivery attempt is scheduled 2-5p Monday. Considering that I work at 2p, this is unreasonable.

I called and there is no way to tag the delivery to inform the driver when I will actually be here. They could hold it for me at the facility, which would entail my taking either two busses & a nice little walk, but isn't the whole point of a delivery company to actually DELIVER?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
isn't the whole point of a delivery company to actually DELIVER?

Only on their schedule, not yours.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Their job is to deliver.

Your job is to be there for delivery.

Who's falling down on the job, again?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Only on their schedule, not yours.

They can't even do it on their schedule, if they said:

"Between 10:30-2:30", but they deliver it at 6:03 PM.

Can they not just drop it off (in a hiding spot)? Or do you have to sign for it?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

To make it even better... When I lived in Harlem the facility to pick up the package was fairly close and convenient to where I currently live (but not from where I lived at the time.) Can I pick it up there? No.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Or do you have to sign for it?

I have to sign for it.

Oh, they offered to change the delivery address... for a $6 fee.

This is why I try to avoid any business that ships UPS.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
larnott
n00b

I'm dealing with the exact same problem here in Portland.. except in my case, the driver gave no indication (time-of-day wise) when they would attempt to re-deliver the package. Since my apartment building's doorman is only here part of the time these days, I either have to stay home all day on Monday, or trek out to BFE (a bus or two, or a $20 roundtrip cab ride) to pick it up.

USPS > UPS, no question.
larnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Cant you just sign the back of the notice that the driver left on the door and leave instructions for him where you want him to leave the package?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh, they offered to change the delivery address... for a $6 fee.

That must be new. I've changed delivery addresses on my RROD 360 before to have it come to work with no charge (although they screwed that up once and I waited an extra couple of days while they fixed the address bit on it).
Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I take it you're not in an area where they can leave it on the doorstop or leave it with a neighbour? (thats what they always do with my stuff ..... even despite the fact that I'm working from home*).

*Admittedly if I'm home alone I tend to crank up the stereo a fair bit so there's a good chance I didn't hear the door bell.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-29-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Moss84
n00b

I like how customers blame UPS when the shipper is the one requiring UPS to get a signature for the package. The driver did fail to complete the delivery notice correctly after the first attempt in this scenario. Solution: Call 1-800-Pick-UPS and complain that your delivery notice was filled out incorrectly. The local facility will contact you. At that time, explain the situation, and how you want the issue resolved by having the package readdressed to a different location. That can be done at the local level for no charge. You can also request to meet the driver on route to pick up package.

UPS is more efficient when we can leave packages with out a signature. UPS loses money when we have to make a 2nd or 3rd attempt on a package. UPS will not driver release a package in an apartment complex lobby or homes that we have paid claims on packages in the past.

The other issue I have is customers think we can stop every thing and swing by there house when it works for them. Did you ask the shipper if the package required a signature? A UPS driver is a little busy through out the day. The average UPS driver delivers 250 pieces a day while making 115 stops. The average UPS driver picks up 250 pieces a day at 30 pick up stops. The average UPS driver is doing pick ups between 3-5 PM and will not break off from there pick ups.

This is a scenario I deal with all of the time. I gave a few solutions, hope it helps.
Moss84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Like anything, some drivers are better than others and more willing and able to do right by the customer. I love our UPS driver. He knows the name of most everyone in the building and is always hustling his ass off. I've seen him at other businesses nearby and he's always working hard.

One of the women in our office gets a lot of packages and sometimes they are addressed to her work and sometimes to her home, which is also on his route. When he comes by our office, he'll ask her where she wants want delivered regardless of the address. She accidentally put her work address on a huge package she couldn't carry or load in her car and he delivered it to her house for her. Great guy.

Then I have my neighborhood guy. Every time I've been home during a delivery, by the time I've reached the door he's already in his truck and gone. He just drops the package, rings the bell and runs. It's like he's leaving a flaming bag of poop on my porch. This has even been the case for items marked signature required. It's only disconcerting when I'm getting something such as my football season tickets and he's leaving $600 of paper on my porch.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
UPS sucks. They always attempt to deliver when I'm not home. Today was the second delivery attempt. On the slip it said "10:30 - 2:00." Of course they attempted delivery at 6:03p. The next & final delivery attempt is scheduled 2-5p Monday. Considering that I work at 2p, this is unreasonable.

I called and there is no way to tag the delivery to inform the driver when I will actually be here. They could hold it for me at the facility, which would entail my taking either two busses & a nice little walk, but isn't the whole point of a delivery company to actually DELIVER?

This aint nothing. I hired a moving company to move all of my belongings haflway across the country, and I am still waiting for it to show up after almost 4 years.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster View Post
This aint nothing. I hired a moving company to move all of my belongings haflway across the country, and I am still waiting for it to show up after almost 4 years.

No no no no no...

You can't just type this and leave it at that with no details.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
No no no no no...

You can't just type this and leave it at that with no details.

Well, let's just say that there are weak laws to protect consumers in the interstate moving industry. I got $.10 per pound.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster View Post
Well, let's just say that there are weak laws to protect consumers in the interstate moving industry. I got $.10 per pound.

That sounds fair. Your wife was in the truck, I presume?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #17
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss84 View Post
I like how customers blame UPS when the shipper is the one requiring UPS to get a signature for the package. The driver did fail to complete the delivery notice correctly after the first attempt in this scenario. Solution: Call 1-800-Pick-UPS and complain that your delivery notice was filled out incorrectly. The local facility will contact you. At that time, explain the situation, and how you want the issue resolved by having the package readdressed to a different location. That can be done at the local level for no charge. You can also request to meet the driver on route to pick up package.

UPS is more efficient when we can leave packages with out a signature. UPS loses money when we have to make a 2nd or 3rd attempt on a package. UPS will not driver release a package in an apartment complex lobby or homes that we have paid claims on packages in the past.

The other issue I have is customers think we can stop every thing and swing by there house when it works for them. Did you ask the shipper if the package required a signature? A UPS driver is a little busy through out the day. The average UPS driver delivers 250 pieces a day while making 115 stops. The average UPS driver picks up 250 pieces a day at 30 pick up stops. The average UPS driver is doing pick ups between 3-5 PM and will not break off from there pick ups.

This is a scenario I deal with all of the time. I gave a few solutions, hope it helps.

I understand the drivers have a hell of a lot to do. I got a bit spoiled at my old place when I had a driver who was extremely nice and would point out that he altered his route that day because he knew my schedule. Something told me he had a crush on me.

By the way, 800-PICK-UPS has no option to get to an operator. You have to use 800-833-9943.

I'm gonna try my luck. Reverse logic says that if he put 2-5 on the slip, he should be here about 10:30a. If I have to leave, I'll put to leave it with the super & hope he's actually in (and that I actually get the package, as I don't really know this guy and he seems to know about 5 words of english. (I miss the old super sometimes... he lived across the hall. He didn't do shit around the building like this new guy, but he was entertaining. His wife would have black eyes, be kicking on the door to get let in & screaming that she knew he had another woman in there. This was a regular thing.)
Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
(I miss the old super sometimes... he lived across the hall. He didn't do shit around the building like this new guy, but he was entertaining. His wife would have black eyes, be kicking on the door to get let in & screaming that she knew he had another woman in there. This was a regular thing.)

Yeah - a woman with black eyes is pretty damned funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss84 View Post

So if the ticket says to deliver between 10:30-2 and the driver shows up at 6pm you think that's reasonable?

EVERYBODY is busy, including the customer. If UPS (or anyone) took money to ship a package with a deliver time between 10:30-2 then it should be delivered between those times, not when the fatass lazy driver gets around to it (see, it's easy to make sweeping generalizations)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
If UPS (or anyone) took money to ship a package with a deliver time between 10:30-2 then it should be delivered between those times, not when the fatass lazy driver gets around to it (see, it's easy to make sweeping generalizations)

There's the thing though, or at least part of the thing.

Unless the shipper paid for something like, say, morning delivery, then there really isn't a particular time for delivery. That 1030-2 stuff is just an estimate, or in some guesses a guesstimate or even a meaningless wild-assed guesstimate. And even in cases like FedEx's "Next Business PM" (or whatever it's called), that just means "by the next business afternoon", it could show up at 9am & often does. You want a specific time other than next business morning, better get ready to pay for a private courier.

Most ground services delivery times are pretty much "whenever the hell we get around to it".
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah - a woman with black eyes is pretty damned funny.

1st time, not at all. 300th time...when this insane woman keep going back? All you can do is laugh, like a live version of Jerry Springer.

------------

Score one for reverse logic. If it says "2:00-5:00" it will be delivered at 9:30a.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
1st time, not at all. 300th time...when this insane woman keep going back? All you can do is laugh, like a live version of Jerry Springer.

I cannot agree with you on any level, at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #23
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I cannot agree with you on any level, at all.

So what do you do, get involved? She just goes back again and again. I'd also seen them on the street where he was trying to walk away and she was screaming and throwing things. Plus, who said that as volatile as she is that he even did that to her. Sometimes you have to look at the absurdity of a situation and laugh... and thank God that you're not a part of it.

It's an entirely different thing when you see something like I did a few weeks back, with a woman crying as she walked across the street with a busted open lip, dragging a kid & suitcase. That breaks your heart.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Moss84
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
So if the ticket says to deliver between 10:30-2 and the driver shows up at 6pm you think that's reasonable?

EVERYBODY is busy, including the customer. If UPS (or anyone) took money to ship a package with a deliver time between 10:30-2 then it should be delivered between those times, not when the fatass lazy driver gets around to it (see, it's easy to make sweeping generalizations)

If you reread my post, I stated the driver failed to fill out the delivery notice correctly.
Moss84 is offline   Reply With Quote