Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Minor petty rant of the night(left vs right gas tanks/gas cap).....

I think it's stupid that some cars have their gas tank/cap on the right, and others on the left. When you are trying to fill up with gas, and have to wait because the people at the pump fill the opposite side of their car, it's stupid.

I think they should enact a law that all cars manufactured for use in america need to have their tank on the same side. Doesn't matter which side it is, they can spend a couple million doing research to determine the safest side. This should be a government mandate by 2011. Hopefully then, by about 2020, everyone would fill on the same side.

End Rant

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I thought by 2011 Obama was eliminating the need for gas caps entirely. Now where we plug in the cars may vary greatly...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

no, by 2011 he was going to show us all how to walk on water. Minor difference.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

I just realized that on your gas gauge, it tells you which side of the car your tank is located
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I just realized that on your gas gauge, it tells you which side of the car your tank is located

Depends on the car, not all do that.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe on your fancy cars but what about the rest of us plebians?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

I've never seen a car that doesn't. I learned about this about two or three years ago and it's become an obsession. I always look in cars to see if it's there.

Last edited by rowech : 08-29-2009 at 07:47 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I miss my 81 El Dorado.......gas cap in the rear..no problem remembering minor details like which side its on. Plus it was cool to pull up to the truck part of a gas station with all them big trucks and pump some cheap ass diesel into my "road boat" while all the snot-nosed peones waited in line for the regular stuff.....

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 08-29-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've never seen a car that doesn't. I learned about this about two or three years ago and it's become an obsession. I always look in cars to see if it's there.

None of the vehicles in our yard (its saturday so 14 right now) have an indicator, and all are driver side.

Some GM Products were pass side in the 80s, Im not aare of any new cars with pass side fuel doors, of course I dont check often.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

We are FOFC.

As advertised, it's a minor and petty rant. I'm basically a fan of stevew's, and in all honestly the blame falls on me for clicking the thread with a title that aptly details what he wanted to share. So, not really his fault there.

Then, it takes a total of two responses for someone to lob in a political potshot. Fabulous, that's what I was hoping to read here, great.

And then, in a matter of a few collective breaths, the conversation goes from an ergonomic issue about inconsistency among manufacturers (one I find minor and petty, but again, that was to be expected) and quickly devolves into a bickering slapfight about how penetratingly difficult and challenging your miserable life is when you have to *remember* what side the gas tank fills on your own fucking car.

Bottom line is...ummm... I guess this is what the "Off Topic" section of the forum is basically about now, and the real fault lies with me for being either inherently stupid enough or sufficiently sleep-deprived to be here, both reading and typing. So, uh, shame on me, I suppose.

Carry on.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I suppose the next logical step in thread progression is the posting of a snopes article debunking the potential solution brought up, right?

snopes.com: Gas Pump Icon and Fuel Door

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-29-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I suppose the next logical step in thread progression is the posting of a snopes article debunking the potential solution brought up, right?

snopes.com: Gas Pump Icon and Fuel Door

SI

As I read that, it's based on the gas handle. It's not that. It's a little triangle indicator.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

I see it mentions that down in the article.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah- I guess I'll have to start looking for that on rental cars now

SI

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
King of New York
High School Varsity

Toyota always puts the gas cap on the same side of all their cars, I believe.

Another reason why Japan kicked the USA's butt senseless in the automotive industry.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Shit what vehicles doesnt have a gas cap on the OUT side?
They are all on the same side.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
hawk4669
High School JV

I drive a 2000 Nissan Frontier Pickup....gas tank port on the passenger side.

My wife drives a 2007 Nissan Quest....gas tank on the DRIVER'S side.

Same manufacturer, different sides. Though, 7 years difference in the cars.

*shrug*

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
Klinglerware
College Starter

But doesn't having a mix of left-side and right-side tanks help to even out the lines to the pump? That way, some cars can use the left side of the island while the others could use the right side, instead of all the cars waiting to use just one side.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Isn't it the needle? My old car it always pointed to the left when I needed gas...

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
kcchief19
Pro Starter

You know, if all the pumps that fill on your side are full and others are open, all you have to do is change the orientation of your car, which can be accomplished by driving to the other side of the parking lot or backing your car to a pump. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
You know, if all the pumps that fill on your side are full and others are open, all you have to do is change the orientation of your car, which can be accomplished by driving to the other side of the parking lot or backing your car to a pump. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

I was debating whether to respond in such fashion. I really couldn't tell if he was serious or not.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #23
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

My car does that. Of course, it doesn't seem any easier to remember to look at the gas gauge than to just remember which side the tank is on.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It was a tight lot. A bunch of minivan driving cunts. I just wanted to fill up. Shrug.
Quote:
Old 08-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We are FOFC.

As advertised, it's a minor and petty rant. I'm basically a fan of stevew's, and in all honestly the blame falls on me for clicking the thread with a title that aptly details what he wanted to share. So, not really his fault there.

Then, it takes a total of two responses for someone to lob in a political potshot. Fabulous, that's what I was hoping to read here, great.

And then, in a matter of a few collective breaths, the conversation goes from an ergonomic issue about inconsistency among manufacturers (one I find minor and petty, but again, that was to be expected) and quickly devolves into a bickering slapfight about how penetratingly difficult and challenging your miserable life is when you have to *remember* what side the gas tank fills on your own fucking car.

Bottom line is...ummm... I guess this is what the "Off Topic" section of the forum is basically about now, and the real fault lies with me for being either inherently stupid enough or sufficiently sleep-deprived to be here, both reading and typing. So, uh, shame on me, I suppose.

Carry on.

I'd rather talk about bath towels, so I'm with you on this one.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
Autumn
Head Coach

I always assumed that it was done semi on purpose, so that, as mentioned before, everyone wasn't trying to pull into the same side. Not a perfect solution, but having some variety makes it easier to just pull straight in.

Over the past nine years we shared cars with a number of families that we lived with, so it actually was a bit difficult to keep track of which car used which side. So I can feel your pain.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think we all know what this means.

FOFC humbly requests, nay vehemently demands, the return of Schmidty's rant of the day!

SI

Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I always assumed that the gas cap was supposed to indicate your political beliefs: Democrats were to buy vehicles with the cap on the left, Republicans with caps on the right. And then the gay's bought the cars with caps in the rear.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
None of the vehicles in our yard (its saturday so 14 right now) have an indicator, and all are driver side.

Some GM Products were pass side in the 80s, Im not aare of any new cars with pass side fuel doors, of course I dont check often.

I believe my wifes 2008 Malibu is passenger side.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
A bunch of minivan driving cunts.

Nice. Sigh.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #31
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Nice. Sigh.

Lol, wife got a minivan? :P
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #32
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Toyota always puts the gas cap on the same side of all their cars, I believe.

Another reason why Japan kicked the USA's butt senseless in the automotive industry.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5273636.shtml

Yea, except toyota likes to hide quality issues.. and they don't use the word "Recall" for problems and issues.. they use the word "product upgrade"
I guarentee if this had been a Domestic automaker.. there would have been a thread on here(also network news coverage) further bashing them. Whereas since its the almighty toyota, no one has really heard about this.

And, no company uses the same side for gas cap's.. Its a engineering issue on each car make/model. Fitting in the gas tank based on drivetrain location, weight distribution, etc.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We are FOFC.

Carry on.
Now this is a rant that delivers. Unlike the OP.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

They're fairly rare, but I have seen gas stations that indicate they are one-way only...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote