Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #51
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
In degrees maybe, but neither should be considered "funny". There are many reasons why a "harmless" prank can cause harm: the person may have a history where the particular joke may have a very bad reaction for them, folks may hide something that someone really needs that day, a person may have an emergency and really need a car that has been pranked, someone can get unintentionally hurt, etc. When that happens everyone gets all sheepish and apologizes but the harm has been done.

Yes, I believe that mild pranks between friends involving inside jokes are a different case as accidental harm is much less likely to happen and can be an integral part of bonding, but pranking strangers for kicks is a horrible way to treat your fellow human beings, whether it's a simple joke over a prank phone call, or causing physical damage like these folks did.

I understand what you're saying. There is still a massive difference between someone calling and asking if their refrigerator is running vs calling and telling them they'll be over to rape their children. It's not black and white. We don't treat the guy who steals a candy bar with the same outrage as Bernie Madoff.

The key difference to me is that the regular prank call that many enjoy is done for humor. The callers are not doing it to extract physical and emotional pain from their victimes. They just want a good laugh and I'd imagine would feel bad if anything bad happened due to it. These other guys wanted bad things to happen. They wanted people to be physically and emotionally hurt. They wanted to cause dangerous situations and monetary damage.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #52
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I understand what you're saying. There is still a massive difference between someone calling and asking if their refrigerator is running vs calling and telling them they'll be over to rape their children. It's not black and white. We don't treat the guy who steals a candy bar with the same outrage as Bernie Madoff.

The key difference to me is that the regular prank call that many enjoy is done for humor. The callers are not doing it to extract physical and emotional pain from their victimes. They just want a good laugh and I'd imagine would feel bad if anything bad happened due to it. These other guys wanted bad things to happen. They wanted people to be physically and emotionally hurt. They wanted to cause dangerous situations and monetary damage.

For the most part I agree, and there are degrees here. For example, the law recognizes the difference between assault, battery, intent to commit bodily harm, manslaughter, and murder. Just because murder is so horrible doesn't make assualt okay.

Let me ask this: how many prank phone calls are there that can generate humor without requiring a negative response in the recipient, be it anger, embarassment, or feeling stupid? They pretty much all require creating some negative feeling in the recipient to be funny. Even the refrigerator running one generally leaves the recipient feeling stupid and annoyed for having their time wasted. The golf course / sandtrap one above is intended to cause frustration in the owner.

But yes, these guys took it to the nth degree, I don't disagree, and should receive harsher punishments than I might expect for something like the refrigerator prank.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #53
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let me ask this: how many prank phone calls are there that can generate humor without requiring a negative response in the recipient, be it anger, embarassment, or feeling stupid?

Didn't Heinlein write a book about this? You could replace the words 'prank phone calls' with 'episodes of Three's Company', and the question would remain much the same, in a purely philosophical sense. 99.9% of humor is based on the suffering of others, but the inability to see the line between an actor, or a cartoon character on a screen, and a real person on the end of your prank (AKA empathy) is when things cross into the territory of sociopathy.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #54
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

TSG needs to send this link to the Pranknet leader's neighbor he steals his wifi from.. http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hahaha - do it TSG!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #56
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
99.9% of humor is based on the suffering of others, but the inability to see the line between an actor, or a cartoon character on a screen, and a real person on the end of your prank (AKA empathy) is when things cross into the territory of sociopathy.
Agreed, on both points...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #57
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm just amused at the hypocrisy of this board getting all up-in-arms at these pranksters while admiring shows like Crank Yankers, defending the NC State fools that took over WRAL's weather closings announcements (that's a thread from a few years back), or worse defending the woman that pranked a girl over the internet and goaded her into a suicide.

And for the record I think they all suck as human beings.
You should try and speak in generalities a little more
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
TSG needs to send this link to the Pranknet leader's neighbor he steals his wifi from.. http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

That trick is great

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #59
boberot
High School Varsity

Am I the only one who thought it was a bit egregious for TSG to post the recordings of so many of those pranks?

I can see the journalistic value of posting one or two of them up there to give a "sense" of what these guys did. But posting something like eight or more of them is really confusing to me. It's giving the "Dex" douchebag the kind of audience he's always yearned for.

I haven't listened to any yet. I would have a hard time telling myself that it's somehow OK to listen to these recordings -- and God forbid, laugh at them -- because "it's part of the investigation."

It feels like it would somehow would put me in the same category as these pud-pullers who were part of the prank community.

Reminds me of the keyhole-recording of the ESPN hottie . . . Erin Andrews? Couldn't justify watching it.

Maybe that's just 13 years of Catholic education talking . . . .
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nah I think that's true boberot. But maybe they can defend it by saying it's for educational purposes, so that more people don't get tricked?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #61
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

followup to the initial story:
First Pranknet Arrest - August 26, 2009

FM
Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #62
bhlloy
Coordinator

Holy shit. Not to threadjack but you only get 30 months for raping a five year old? What the hell?

Hopefully they can get this asshole on some sort of probation violation and he's going down for a long time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote