Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
robster1225
Mascot

Text sims on a mac with Wine or Crossover

I've posted this a few places and haven't gotten much help, but I know there has to be someone out there who has gotten some of these sims to work on a mac with Wine or Crossover. I know i have Virtualization or Dual Booting as an option, but I prefer the way that Wine runs things natively. If it is at all possible. I think I have gotten FoF2k7 to work through Wine, at least it seems like it so far. I have not gotten any Grey dog or Wolverine Studios games to work, and of course OOTP offers a Mac and Linux version, because they're cool!

So if you've gotten this to work, even on Linux, let me know, and maybe you can help me get it to work.

robster1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Danny
Head Coach

I know what you mean, playing text sims on a mac while drinking some wine and wearing women's clothes. It's the best!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i had no luck with crossover. it runs the game for 1 season (wonky at that), then all hell breaks loose. and not in a good way. not at all.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why not just use Fusion or Parallels and then bump into Unity/Coherence when you play? Looks like a native Mac app at that point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I know what you mean, playing text sims on a mac while drinking some wine and wearing women's clothes. It's the best!

Just don't cross the streams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
robster1225
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Why not just use Fusion or Parallels and then bump into Unity/Coherence when you play? Looks like a native Mac app at that point.
$$$$$$
Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
$$$$$$

When did Crossover become free? The Pro version is basically the same price as Fusion, and Standard is still $40. I suppose there is a license for Windows, but I'm sure you could find a copy of XP somewhere for next to nothing (or use TinyXP for literally nothing, I suppose).

Besides, if you own a Mac, you should be used to paying for stuff.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

I was using Crossover Games and was able to play FOF and several other games but never tried to take them very far (more than one season) because Pyser told me he ran into problems after one season. FOF ran ok but the in-game text had strange errors like not displaying last names. I've never used Parallels or Fusion or installed Windows on my Mac.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I use Wine in Linux for FOF, mostly for my one MP league I hang on to. The only other text sim I care about is FM, and that is a no-go for me. I read of guys being able to get it to work through running Steam in Wine, but it didn't work for me. I was able to get Steam running, and then was able to get FM downloaded and installed via Steam. I am not able to get any farther though, mainly with the licensing part. I have read there is a trick for it that works, but it didn't work for me. I may be able to get it with some more work but I don't know when I would get to that right now.

OOTP, with a native Linux install, may end up getting back into the picture for me.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I use Wine in Linux for FOF, mostly for my one MP league I hang on to. The only other text sim I care about is FM, and that is a no-go for me. I read of guys being able to get it to work through running Steam in Wine, but it didn't work for me. I was able to get Steam running, and then was able to get FM downloaded and installed via Steam. I am not able to get any farther though, mainly with the licensing part. I have read there is a trick for it that works, but it didn't work for me. I may be able to get it with some more work but I don't know when I would get to that right now.

OOTP, with a native Linux install, may end up getting back into the picture for me.

I'm confused; are you talking about not being able to run FM in Linux via Wine on a Mac? Why not just install FM on your Mac?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

In Linux. I wouldn't touch a Mac, no offense to those who love them. The original post asked about guys even in Linux, not just on a Mac.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #12
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
In Linux. I wouldn't touch a Mac, no offense to those who love them. The original post asked about guys even in Linux, not just on a Mac.

Too bad. I've found the Mac to be a pretty good computer.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Too bad. I've found the Mac to be a pretty good computer.

+1. Got a MacBook Pro here at work a few weeks back, and I love it.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
robster1225
Mascot

So it looks like I'm out of luck and this free copy of Crossover that I recieved last year in their Lame Duck President give away won't be of much use to me. I probably won't give up, though. I'm hoping that some of the stuff that Transgaming is doing with Cider gets picked up by these smaller companies, but I'm not sure how cost prohibitive that is.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
So it looks like I'm out of luck and this free copy of Crossover that I recieved last year in their Lame Duck President give away won't be of much use to me. I probably won't give up, though. I'm hoping that some of the stuff that Transgaming is doing with Cider gets picked up by these smaller companies, but I'm not sure how cost prohibitive that is.

That's where I got my copy of Crossover. I'm not saying it won't work but I would recommend trying freeware or demo versions of software before you commit to buying something to run on your Mac via Crossover.