Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Thinking of a new SmartPhone.

So, anyway... I'm on Verizon. My 2 years contract is up, and so I feel like trading my LG flip phone (which has been utterly awesome for me, btw) for a new smartphone.

I was intrigued by the Blackberry Storm when it was coming out, but horrid reviews swayed me away from it and led me to wait for the Storm 2. It appears the Storm 2 is coming out around November of this year, and has somewhat fixed a number of Storm 1 problems (though I do know people who have the Storm 1 and really like it). But, there have been all sorts of talk about Verizon getting the Palm Pre early next year.

So, anyone have experience with the Pre? Or the Storm 1? Should I jump on the Storm 2 if the reviews or good. Or is it worth waiting a few months for the Pre?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

do not get the Blackberry Storm. 6 months of pain. I cant wait for another 6 before I can get a new one at a discount. blech on this storm thingy.

oh, unless you like your phone resetting all of the time, bogging down, being a pain your ass, laughing at you, etc. than get it, by all means.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-06-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Were it me, I'd hang out for a few months and see if Verizon really does get the Pre.

And then see how/if Verizon locks it down.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am on my Pre right now. I love the phone, but I also come in not expecting certain things right away and the patience to wait for them. The phone has gotten better since I got it with updates, and many are on the way. By the time it's on Verizon this thing should be kicking ass. Right this second though it may not have a few things to make someone happy who really wants that feature. I use it all the time, the battery makes it a full day for me with pretty heavy usage IMO.

An Android phone is going to have more apps for a while at least, they have 5000 right now I think. Also there are other Android phones coming out over the next six months I think, so Android phones might be good to check out. Users of Android seem to like it from what I have read.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Were it me, I'd hang out for a few months and see if Verizon really does get the Pre.

And then see how/if Verizon locks it down.

/tk

My guess, based on previous Sprint deals being 6-9 months long, this one is a 9 month deal and Verizon gets the phone by March or April.

The problem there is the talk from Verizon of starting their own App Store, which could create conflicts if they want to push out manufacturer app stores.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
do not get the Blackberry Storm. 6 months of pain. I cant wait for another 6 before I can get a new one at a discount. blech on this storm thingy.

oh, unless you like your phone resetting all of the time, bogging down, being a pain your ass, laughing at you, etc. than get it, by all means.

Did you miss the whole Storm 2 part of my post?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am intrigued by Android phones (not as much as the Pre, though), but as far as I know, Verizon doesn't have any yet.

Oh, and I have no intentions at all of switching from Verizon.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not a fan of the touch screen, love my Curve, and will probably upgrade to the BB Tour (the Verizon version of the Bold, I believe) down the road. Have a couple friends who really love it but haven't messed around with it much personally.

Last edited by Logan : 08-06-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Subby
lolzcat

Another vote for the Curve. Have the 8900 and love it. Only draw back is it isn't all that great for heavy web browsing.

Not sure what the equivalent is at Verizon, but it might be the Tour.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I am intrigued by Android phones (not as much as the Pre, though), but as far as I know, Verizon doesn't have any yet.

No Android phones on Verizon yet.

I am very curious to see how much they lock down those phones.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Verizon seems to be in an 'open it up' phase. Every Blackberry on Verizon after the Tour will have wifi for one. I think part of it is because Congress and the Administration are looking at cell phone practices recently.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well, rumor has an Motorola Android phone coming to Verizon as soon at October.

hxxp://www.phoneplusmag.com/hotnews/motorola-android-phone-coming-to-verizon.html

If that happens it would be much sooner then the Pre on Verizon. Though I love the Pre so I see no problem waiting around for it.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I remember my Motorola Razr... I'll pass on Moto phones .
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like my storm. I know this puts me in the minority, but for casual web browsing, texting, and emails it works for me. Yeah, the hardware is definitely under powered, I suspect the new one will be far better.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Emiliano
College Prospect

BlackBerry Tour, hands down. Bold keyboard&3G, Curve form factor (a lil' bigger, actually): best of both worlds! Can't wait for it to hit Europe.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seriously thought about the Tour (It's a really nice phone), but I want a touch screen .
Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think they have a Bold with a touch screen coming out at some point by the end of the year.

Can't remember what it's called, I think either the Pluto or Magnum.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Played around with a few smartphones at the mall today. Never realized just how nice and comfy the Tour's physical keyboard is compared to a touchscreen keyboard, like the Storm 1 (and Storm 2's won't be that much better, I'd imagine). I was able to type amazingly fast with the Tour.

Also played with the Pre, which I really liked. Keyboard wasn't as good as the Tour's (but still good), but the web browser was far better and the touch screen is nice.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Alright, after weighing the Pre and the Tour, I think I'm ready to get the Tour next week or so. Liked the Pre, but read a lot of stuff about problems due to it being a 1st generation device. Maybe get the Tour, hold onto it for 2 years and then switch to the Pre 2 .
Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Comey
College Starter

The Storm is nice. You may want to research the Omnia 2. I was going to take back my Storm, but I have no idea when the Omnia 2 is coming out (one report has said Sunday, but that has proven to be false).

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 AM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Alright, after weighing the Pre and the Tour, I think I'm ready to get the Tour next week or so. Liked the Pre, but read a lot of stuff about problems due to it being a 1st generation device. Maybe get the Tour, hold onto it for 2 years and then switch to the Pre 2 .

Not sure if you want the to take it this far, but I would suggest taking advantage of Sprint's 30 return policy. Get a Pre, test it out, enjoy it. If you have any problems then return it and get the Tour then.

I love the Pre man. Unless the problems were missing software apps you want/need, I would give it a try. The build quality is supposed to have improved as of late with noted changes by Palm to make the device better overall. At the same time, the one I have had since June has been rock solid for me.

A sign of the App Catalog starting to get into gear happened this week as well, with 6 new apps, and two last week. I know it isn't much, but the Pre was stuck at 32 apps for most of it's time out. So it is a sign things will kick into gear. Also, IIRC Palm has said the App Catalog will move out of beta in a month so programmers will be able to charge for apps, something else that will increase the number.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I decided to buy a Blackberry Tour and it should be here by Tuesday. The Palm Pre definitely was calling to me, but I was somewhat wary of switching to Sprint, especially since I tend to travel for work to some po-dunk places (and I know more people with Verizon than Sprint and I go for the 450 minute plan). And I didn't feel like waiting until sometime next year for Verizon to get the Pre.

I'm definitely rooting for the Pre to get some sales numbers love. It's a beautiful device.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-23-2009 at 11:10 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Girlfriend got the Tour last week and I messed around with it some more...definitely a great phone although the trackball seemed a bit looser than the Curve (even when I got my worn in one replaced) which led to me going up or down every now and then while scrolling through icons instead of side to side. Could just be an adjustment though.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've heard issues about the trackball. But I'm not used to other Blackberries, so maybe I won't notice it as much .