Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm getting close to the point where I don't even care if Bolt is using steroids. A roided 9.58 is still head-asplode impressive.

I remember reading an article a few years back (when the record was still in the 9.8 range) where some scientist calculated that fastest possible time that a human body could ever achieve was 9.60. And at the time it seemed like a safe prediction because the idea of anyone ever running 9.60 was just too unrealistic to comprehend.

The same NPR story I mentioned earlier said that now the fastest possible time the human body could ever achieve is around 9 seconds.

Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #52
The Jackal
Coordinator

9 seconds flat? That would be something else.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #53
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There was an NPR story tonight with a running mechanics engineer or something like that who thought we could be down below 9 seconds in the next decade or two.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #54
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

19.19 in the 200 meters by Bolt:

Usain Bolt sets world record in 200 meters at world championships - More Sports - SI.com

Shattering his 19.30 World Record.

The man's insane.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #55
The Jackal
Coordinator

Awesome. I wonder how low he can go.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #56
whomario
Pro Starter

Ran an incredible curve, too. If you can do that at his height no one can ever beat you in the 200.
Would love to see him run the 400, maybe in the relay for Jamaica as a start.

Anybody saw the high Jump ? German Friedrich getting the stadium to stay perfectly quiet , then sport a big smile at that fact. Would have been so awesome if she made the height just now , would have erupted.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #57
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This man is awesome. I care about sprinting because of him. 19.19? WTF? He gets records in such large chunks that it is ridiculous.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #58
molson
General Manager

I don't know much about track & field, but is the long jump the only event where the record hasn't really been improved on very much through time? It's interesting to see the progression of records, and then mind-blowing to see that the long jump record was set in 1991, and that broke a record set in 1968. The 100m record, by comparison, has been set constantly.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #59
whomario
Pro Starter

the 1968 is widely regarded as kind of a "fake record" . Several reasons:
jumped at a great height (and actually a lot of records were set at that event in sprints and jump disciplines) , bad weather after his jump limiting everyone else, manual measurement, exactly 2,0 metres tailwind (yeah, right).

Case in point, Powell before or after that 1 Jump never came within 60 centimetres of that distance. One of the alltime one hit wonders of sports

There´s quite a few more long standing records. Especially for women, where basically every record has been set way back. Although most are widely regarded as achieved by doping due to solid evidence for state-organised doping in the eastern part of Europe. Like the 400 metre women´s record standing at 47,60 . Best in the 2000s is 48,70.

The 100 and 200 also stand since 1988, the 800 since 1983, long jump 88, high jump 87. The list goes on and on.

For men a lot were set in the mid to late 90s. (400, 800, 1500, 3000, high jump, tripple jump, pole vault, javelin)

and of course i had to look most of them up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_athletics

Last edited by whomario : 08-20-2009 at 03:34 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #60
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know much about track & field, but is the long jump the only event where the record hasn't really been improved on very much through time? It's interesting to see the progression of records, and then mind-blowing to see that the long jump record was set in 1991, and that broke a record set in 1968. The 100m record, by comparison, has been set constantly.

Not really. The women's 100m record was being set on a constant basis until 1984. Flo-Jo broke it in 1988, breaking the previous record by .27 running a 10.49. Bolt is simple amazing but I think that Flo-Jo's record and the fact that no one has even remotely come close to touching it in over 20 years is just as impressive. It doesn't even appear that anyone is anywhere near capable of breaking it.

Last edited by mtolson : 08-21-2009 at 08:03 PM.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I doubt Flo Jo was clean. That's just a personal opinion with nothing more than her redicilous body and strange death as evidence to support it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote