Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #151
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Glad 2k fixed most things after a month with the "testers"

Is it me or the game, with two outs and a fly ball/line drive my runners always hesitate, often tagging up.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

did they fix most things for real AE, or are you being sarcastic?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #153
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what about a PC-patch?

If it gets patched up and plays okay I'll drop money on it...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #154
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

From the list MizzouRah posted most of the problems that made the game unplayable are addressed, but i have not downloaded it yet.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #155
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

360 patch is out
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #156
SegRat
High School Varsity

MizzouRah, if your ever up for an on line game let me know. I havent played on line because of past expierences on Madden playing against immature kids. So if your up for it sometime hit me up.
Online name is Ratfather.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #157
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

As soon as I get my Xbox back SegRat!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #158
sabotai
General Manager

Any PC impressions? It's only $17.99 on Steam and was thinking of grabbing it if it's a decent game on the PC.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #159
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Any PC impressions? It's only $17.99 on Steam and was thinking of grabbing it if it's a decent game on the PC.

I'm curious too! It's either this or wait for the MLB 05 guys to mod it up for this season, which prolly won't be done for like half the year...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-21-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #160
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Blog for the Sports Gamer

MVPmods.com has mods for it as well...

I feel like MBBF..
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The Blog for the Sports Gamer

MVPmods.com has mods for it as well...

I feel like MBBF..

thanks mizzou. looks like it might be worth picking up at some point. i'm sure the MVPmods folks will do a number on it.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #162
gi
College Prospect

Reviews for this game look so bad, still deliberating if the patch fixes enough of the game to make it a purchase for me. Any thoughts on how the game plays on the PC with mods and slider changes?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #163
sabotai
General Manager

I bought it off Steam and will let you know. But fair warning, I'm not a baseball fan, although I have liked baseball games. My bar for acceptable, in terms of realistic gameplay, will be VERY low. But I'll warn of any technical issues or bugs I run into.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #164
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Any post patch 360 thoughts?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #165
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Any post patch 360 thoughts?

Just got my 360 back.. I should get some time with MLB 2k9 this weekend!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #166
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Just got my 360 back.. I should get some time with MLB 2k9 this weekend!

Thanks for being the guinea pig.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #167
Tasan
College Starter

I'm enjoying the PC version a lot more with the patch. Got slammed around by the computer today a bit. We'll see if that keeps up or not. At least it wasn't the homer fest I had pre-patch. Oh and the errors bug seems to be gone as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #168
sabotai
General Manager

Played a few games. The controls for baserunning take a lot of getting used to. I have cost myself a run or two and a couple of outs by making mistakes with the base running controls in each game. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

It might help to get the 360 controller receiver for my PC. I'm using an older control and it took some tweaking to get it to work right with the game's controls.

I love the presentation in the game. The "commercial fade out" they do every time a side is retired is perfect. The post game is best part. It has options to see the highlights for the player of the game, "Top 3 Plays", "Top 3 Grabs" and signature highlights that show highlights for specific players (if they had enough good plays).

One issue I have after buying on Steam is that every time I run it, it thinks it's the first time the program is running and tries to install a few things (DirectX and .NET). No biggie though, I just click Cancel on a few screens and it loads up.

I have seen a few very odd errors, but I don't watch baseball so I have no idea if "odd errors" is a common occurrence. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get my $17.99 for it. I started a franchise as the Rockies (randomly picked, seemingly balanced team). Lost my first game 4-1 to the Cards. Only managed to get 3 hits while they got 12. Both teams had 2 errors.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #169
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Thoughts on the 360 version. Played 1 season as the Cubs. Created a new pitcher and only played games that he was starting in (then played every game in the playoffs).

The difference between All-Star and Legend was huge before the patch. All-Star I would have 20 hits with about 8 home runs while pitching a 1 to 2 hitter consistently. In Legend, I would get held to about 3 hits on average. Post patch closed the gap, but still seems a little off. If you want to have Trading Cards on, you need to keep the difficulty on at least Legend, but I found you can adjust some of the sliders and still have Trading Cards activated.

It is seemingly impossible to steal on the higher difficulties. I had 2 SB out of about 30 with guys rated 85 or higher in speed. By midseason, I had given up stealing and just played a hit and run with speed on base.

The default fielder choice doesn't always seem to be natural when the ball goes into play. Many times my first instinct is to think that the Centerfielder is closer to the ball and I start moving towards it based on his positioning, only to find that the game has selected the Leftfielder (or right based on which gap), and I'm now moving away from the ball. Happens quite a bit to the holes on the infield as well and bunted balls between the pitcher and catcher.

There is still a measure of the fielder going the wrong way against your controls, although not as bad as it was before the patch. It is still annoying when it happens. However, I no longer had ball going over the head of the fielder like I did before the patch.

Not sure I understand the composure rating for pitchers. They seem to get randomly rattled, despite their ratings. I've had guys with 80+ ratings get rattled after giving up back to back hits while ahead by 5 or more runs. I have had setup men and closers get rattled after just one hit in a save situation. And yet, put in the exact situation the next game and seem to be fine.

My rookie pitcher won the National League Cy Young at 18-5 and led the league in strikeouts at 315 (quite a few were gained on lower difficuties while learning the game) and ERA. However, he was never in the running for the rookie of the year award, and in fact, no rookie pitcher was on the list of ten finalists.

Steve Phillips made a note of the 100+ years the Cubs haven't won the World series at least once in every game at the start of the season, but after winning the World series the announcers made no mention of it next season (although I only played one game). Although I realize it would be impossible to hard code every outcome for the announcers to comment on, I was nonetheless disappointed as any Cubs fan would be.

The tag out animation is sometimes screwy. In order to tag out a runner at home for example, you have to have your catcher go through the animation. I've given up a couple of runs off failed squeeze bunts where the runner slid under my cather blocking the plate, and the catcher didn't even try to apply the tag. I've had this happen at 2nd base as well, where the runner would move through the fielder and not be tagged out. I think it might be cause I was still moving the fielder or catcher, and it's a missed collision detection, but it happens rarely enough that I haven't been able to determine the exact cause.

While I might seem to have a lot of criticisms of the game, I do actually enjoy it. I'm not a hardcore baseball fan anymore, but the stat numbers do look relatively close to what is expected (with the exception that the AI does not seem to pinch hit for pitchers in simmed games, wtf!?). Batting feels natural, and the interface is easy to use, especially when trying to hit behind the runners, for example. Bunting seems a little to easy, even on the highest difficulty. I very much enjoy the pitcher/cacther interface, especially with the IE Zone activated. I also like the fact that the pitch motions on the controller determine the accuracy and break on the pitch, making it next to impossible to always throw the perfect pitch (especially after the last patch). At the same time, however, some of the pitch motions are too close together resulting in an incorrect pitch being thrown. As well, when you switch from a right hander to a left hander, some of the motions seem forced and akward, particullarly the slider. That's probably just me though, can't get my thumb to do that motion correctly.

As said before, the presentation is one of the highlights of the game. The back and forth banter has it's moments of repeatativeness (especially if you were to play every game) but it certainly stays unique and fresh longer than other games. The TV like feel is a big plus as well. Some of the crowd comments are funny, especially when you are away.

The offseason is ok. Coming off of playing Puresim and OOTP, it's no where close to those, but we play console baseball games to hit homers. The draft is fairly straight forward, and you get an estimate of when the player will be ready for the big leagues. Free agency could be better. There is no way to sort the players you placed an offer on to see if you have been out bid, you can only sort all players that have had offers, but the finances seem acceptable. There were no real big names available for free agency when I went through it, but the AI was competetive with all the 'high' rated players. The season recap gives you a score on how much your players improved or faded, however from that screen you cannot make transactions (like cut players) so you'll need to remember names or write information down.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #170
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
Some of the crowd comments are funny, especially when you are away.

I laughed out loud when I was batting (I was the away team), and the pitcher threw a far low and away ball and I heard someone from the crowd say "Come on, you could have hit that!"
Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #171
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i downloaded the PC-demo, but until I can learn to fucking hit the ball in this damn game I can't justify buying it.