Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
If you don't like him, fine. Why do you feel it necessary to insult people who do? There are obviously many funny, intelligent people who think he's great--so any argument that positions you as "above" it is just laughable.

Uh... sorry. Why do you feel the need to get all defensive? RendeR just said he didn't find Conan funny and all of a sudden people are jumping on him left and right and therefore HE is insulting people?

Get over yourself.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #52
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

FOFC: I Like X But You Like Y, Part 1,324,249
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #53
Kodos
Resident Alien

X sux. And so do you.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #54
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Uh... sorry. Why do you feel the need to get all defensive? RendeR just said he didn't find Conan funny and all of a sudden people are jumping on him left and right and therefore HE is insulting people?

Get over yourself.

What people are jumping on him left and right? I see one - ThunderingHerd. Just saying.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #55
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE JUMPING ALL OVER ISiddiqui?! RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT... THEN LEFT AGAIN!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #56
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The real X factor in the race the last few weeks has been Nightline. Michael Jackson provided Nightline with a real ratings surge the last few weeks. That will dissipate at some point but where did those viewers come from and where do they go from here?

Letterman has built his audience about 10-15% since Conan come to Tonight but the real story is that Conan has lost about 40% of Leno's Tonight audience already. The only thing Conan has going for him at this point are the demo numbers, but those are narrowing. I thought Dave would start beating Conan regularly in total viewers but didn't think it would happen quite a fast and thoroughly.

The next few months will be interesting. It's adults 18-25 saving Conan. Dave is competitive with women overall and Letterman leads all women demos 25-plus. Conan only leads in women demos that go down to 18. I still don't think Conan's audience has stabilized, because the ratings keep slipping. He lost last week by 800k viewers. If he stabilizes down 1 million viewers and only wins 18-34 he's in trouble. If Letterman starts winning 18-49 despite Conan's lead among 18-25, cue Leno. Leno was regularly beating Letterman by about 1 million viewers. If in six months Conan loses 2 million viewers and loses in the key demo, there's no way he makes it without Hugh Grant coming on and doing a lap dance with a tranny.

Speaking of Nightline earlier, I imagine Ted Koppel has to be sick. I saw Terry Moran try to articulate the journalistic integrity of going all Michael Jackson, all the time and got diced up by Howard Kurtz. Not exactly the Iran hostage crisis. Those Nightline numbers are soft. Granted, it hasn't been a huge surge but I would expect Nightline to settle in at a very solidsecond over the next few months, maybe even winning one out of four weeks or so.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Those Nightline numbers are soft. Granted, it hasn't been a huge surge but I would expect Nightline to settle in at a very solidsecond over the next few months, maybe even winning one out of four weeks or so.

While the recent surge propelled them into the spotlight more, Nightline has very slowly but steadily gained audience ever since the makeover. In some major & mid-major markets it was already #2 with A25-54 on a fairly regular basis and was winning some nights occasionally.

Although I can't say I thought about it specifically in advance, really the boost it got from Leno's departure was fairly predictable. It's the next most comfortable position for the older half of the main adult demo, even moreso than Letterman who still has a turn-off factor for some viewers from his early days.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #58
boberot
High School Varsity

I'm surprised that anybody remotely youthful finds Leno funny.

To me, if Tonight Show material was funny, it was usually despite Leno's buffoonery.

Conan, I think, has the ability to take sometimes mediocre material and actually *make* it funny through his antics and improvisation.

Fallon is truly just painful to watch. I'm sure he'll grow into the role [there's obviously a steep learning curve in such a gig], but he comes across way too nervous and awkward for me to this point.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #59
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

THE TV SHOW HOST YOU LIKE SUCKS
Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #60
MrBug708
Head Coach

I never understood the popularity of Conan or even Letterman. I guess Leno is more my style. To each their own
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #61
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
The really shocking news is: Jimmy Fallon: 1.269 million.

I assume that nearly every one of those poor b*stards was tied to a chair and forced to watch. Otherwise, I do not think that Fallon could get 1,269 viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
have you checked it out? or are you just saying that based on nothing?

his sketches are funny, they play to his strengths as much as possible

Problem is that the man has very few strengths when it comes to comedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Some of the sketches are alright, but for someone who used to do stand-up comedy, he struggles imo to a surprising degree with his monologues--they can be painful, and I do not see him getting much better (unlike Conan, who was awkward initially but got the hang of it after a while).

The Roots make a cool house band.

And this pretty much sums it up for me. He struggles mightily with the monologues and just doesn't have a comedian's sense of timing or delivery. I would have thought that execs would have noticed this with Weekend Update since it's a similar style and he did that for quite a while (arguably without getting any better).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While the recent surge propelled them into the spotlight more, Nightline has very slowly but steadily gained audience ever since the makeover. In some major & mid-major markets it was already #2 with A25-54 on a fairly regular basis and was winning some nights occasionally.

Although I can't say I thought about it specifically in advance, really the boost it got from Leno's departure was fairly predictable. It's the next most comfortable position for the older half of the main adult demo, even moreso than Letterman who still has a turn-off factor for some viewers from his early days.

Dare I ask- what is Nightline's makeover? I haven't watched it in forever since it was, you know, news. From the sounds of it, did it take on some Entertainment Tonight tabloid "news magazine" format or something?

SI

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Honestly, I really do feel as though anybody over the age of about 22 that isn't high to the point that pretty much anything is funny and yet still finds Conan funny in more than a couple of minutes watching-a-trainwreck-in-motion sort of way could be from another planet or else has some serious maturity issues.

Sure, there are people over 40 who think Pauly Shore is high comedy too but they aren't make them immune to criticism or outright mockery either.

I think you might be selling Conan a little short- a little. Sure, lots of adolescent idiocy that is good for surface laughs and the college stoner crowd. However, he does tend to mix it up from time to time with some more witty and high brow material. (...and then will have a segment with a masturbating bear or something similar to make sure you remembered what you were watching)

That said, on the whole, it's mostly more "immature" than Leno and the ratings are reflecting that. I know quite a few people who watched Letterman and then Conan and now those people are being forced to choose.

SI

Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Dare I ask- what is Nightline's makeover?

This article probably summarizes it better than I could have
The show's recent hot streak is due in large part to some hot topics and better interaction with viewers.

Thursday’s episode focused on the so-called celebrity diet wars, exploring the strategies of weight loss powerhouses Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig and others by using star spokespeople like Marie Osmond and Valerie Bertinelli.

Tuesday’s episode focused on how technology and the internet are shaping people’s sex lives, from erotic service ads on Craigslist to a site dedicated specifically to married folks looking to cheat.

These topics reflect how “Nightline” has changed in recent years to attract younger viewers. Under former anchor Ted Koppel, the show was much more staid and often politically oriented, focusing on just one topic per show. Now "Nightline" explores a main topic but also has secondary ones, making it more of a traditional newsmagazine.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #65
rowech
Pro Starter

I think Conan's problem is his monolouge (sp?) is horrible...I mean really bad. When he's interacting with guests, he's much better.

I've watched some the last couple of weeks...I think he's starting to feel pressure...you can see it in the way he asks questions, delievers jokes, etc. Every time one bombs, his face says oh crap.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #66
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think Conan's problem is his monolouge (sp?) is horrible...I mean really bad. When he's interacting with guests, he's much better.

I've watched some the last couple of weeks...I think he's starting to feel pressure...you can see it in the way he asks questions, delievers jokes, etc. Every time one bombs, his face says oh crap.

The thing is, it doesn't matter what they think. Well, sort of. He could do amazing with his studio audience but that doesn't help if he's not hitting some other demographics from people watching at home. And that was always the risk of this move: Can he start building on his Tonight Show audience once he solidifies it or is he just going to fall back to having the numbers he had at 11:30 (CT) plus a few local news stragglers?

SI

Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #67
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The thing is, it doesn't matter what they think. Well, sort of. He could do amazing with his studio audience but that doesn't help if he's not hitting some other demographics from people watching at home. And that was always the risk of this move: Can he start building on his Tonight Show audience once he solidifies it or is he just going to fall back to having the numbers he had at 11:30 (CT) plus a few local news stragglers?

SI

I don't think there was ever a chance of him retaining parts of Leno's audience. However, I don't think Letterman would keep them either.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #68
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Late Night TV Ratings

Another win by Letterman of 800k total viewers, and this time he beat Nightline as well. The Michael Jackson boost is wearing off for them, and Letterman doesn't seem to have slipped too much from the McCartney boost.

Interestingly, the CBS press release says they tied among adults 25-54 and NBC says Conan won 25-54 but neither reported the numbers for that demo. Somebody's fibbin'.

Two scary numbers for NBC and Conan: Letterman was up 14% in households and 16% in viewers from the same week last year while Conan is down from . And while Conan is touted as having the better demographics among younger viewers, he's beating Letterman by smaller margins than Leno was and the lead is continuing to shrink week-to-week.

And in the category of things that I think are speculation and will never happen, here comes a claim that NBC may consider moving Leno to 10:30 ET and moving late local news to 10 p.m. so Leno can lead-in to Conan. I don't think there is anyway NBC forces its affiliates to move late local news -- unless your decision is that if Leno doesn't work, you're going the Fox route and only offering two hours of primetime per night. But why would you upend the entire network because Letterman is beating Conan?
http://www.newser.com/story/65692/de...-bbc-exec.html
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
here comes a claim that NBC may consider moving Leno to 10:30 ET and moving late local news to 10 p.m. so Leno can lead-in to Conan. I don't think there is anyway NBC forces its affiliates to move late local news
http://www.newser.com/story/65692/de...-bbc-exec.html

I can't see that one happening in the large majority of markets either unless, as you say, they simply abandon 10 pm onward. And if that happens, they'll have to deal with a significant number of defections in markets where affiliates have expiring contracts at the same time other affiliates have expiring contracts.

edit to add
Quote:
Interestingly, the CBS press release says they tied among adults 25-54 and NBC says Conan won 25-54 but neither reported the numbers for that demo. Somebody's fibbin'.

No idea whether it's the case in this instance or not but you'll see that happen once in a while when two programs are in a virtual tie near a rounding point. One of them will round off and say "we're tied" while the other will round/extend the decimal and say "we won".

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-30-2009 at 06:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #70
kcchief19
Pro Starter

A tangent to this conversation but certainly Leno related ...

They've posted the July sweeps numbers for KC and our NBC affiliate soared from the basement to No. 2 in news, by passing the if-it-bleeds-it-leads CBS affiliate behind only the ABC affiliate, which in 2 of the last 3 sweeps as been the top-rated ABC affiliate in the nation.

What's surprising to me about this was this nugget in terms of how the NBC station's 10 pm news did -- lead-in ratings for their 10 pm news are up 59% from July 2008. Now, I don't know how or why, other than NBC's summer lineup last year was an abomination and it's only slightly less so this year. I don't know if NBC is feeling a ratings surge, but it definitely underscores the importance of a lead-in.

Which brings us to Leno leading into local news. In discussions of this the general conclusion has been that NBC is going this route knowing ratings will be low but the programming is cheaper than say ER. But can NBC affiliates survive with a profitable but poorly rated lead-in to late local news?

We know Leno isn't going to draw Mentalist-size audiences. And in turn, will the bad Leno lead-in be followed by lower NBC affiliate ratings and in turn lower Conan ratings. I'm further intrigued because I was watching the CBS local news last night (which I never do) and was struck by the anchors introducing promos for Letterman. They don't want people to check out what's on Conan.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #71
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
A tangent to this conversation but certainly Leno related ...

They've posted the July sweeps numbers for KC and our NBC affiliate soared from the basement to No. 2 in news, by passing the if-it-bleeds-it-leads CBS affiliate behind only the ABC affiliate, which in 2 of the last 3 sweeps as been the top-rated ABC affiliate in the nation.

What's surprising to me about this was this nugget in terms of how the NBC station's 10 pm news did -- lead-in ratings for their 10 pm news are up 59% from July 2008. Now, I don't know how or why, other than NBC's summer lineup last year was an abomination and it's only slightly less so this year. I don't know if NBC is feeling a ratings surge, but it definitely underscores the importance of a lead-in.

Which brings us to Leno leading into local news. In discussions of this the general conclusion has been that NBC is going this route knowing ratings will be low but the programming is cheaper than say ER. But can NBC affiliates survive with a profitable but poorly rated lead-in to late local news?

We know Leno isn't going to draw Mentalist-size audiences. And in turn, will the bad Leno lead-in be followed by lower NBC affiliate ratings and in turn lower Conan ratings. I'm further intrigued because I was watching the CBS local news last night (which I never do) and was struck by the anchors introducing promos for Letterman. They don't want people to check out what's on Conan.

Yeah, I made this point in one of the other threads. I have no doubt that going cheaper with Leno will make them profitable, but it also makes them smaller. That could cause a trigger effect across the entire network and through their affiliates. This is a network that is already hurting from the mess Ben Silverman left them in.

NBC was no doubt losing money on the $13 million/hr they were spending on ER, or the even more expensive Friends ($6 million per half hour just for the cast), but both shows were holding up others shows across the networks. One thing that started to hurt Letterman in the 90s was CBS's downfall and NBC's resurgence. Letterman had absolutely no chance on Thursday nights. At least 3 times as many people knew who was on Leno.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #72
RedKingGold
College Starter

Bronson Arroyo might have used steroids or might be gay.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #73
Izulde
Head Coach

I've never found Conan funny. Nor Jimmy Fallon for that matter. Letterman's not bad, but Leno's been the most amusing to me.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And now Letterman repeats are beating new Conan episodes:

Late-Night Ratings: Letterman Repeats Top Conan Originals - 2009-08-13 13:57:20 EDT | Broadcasting & Cable

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote