Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Volt to achieve 230 mpg in city driving

August 12, 2009

G.M. Says Volt Will Get Triple-Digit City Mileage
By BILL VLASIC

WARREN, Mich. — General Motors said Tuesday that its Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric vehicle, scheduled for release in 2011, will achieve a fuel rating of 230 miles a gallon in city driving.

The rating is based on methodology drafted by the Environmental Protection Agency, and most other automakers have not revealed the mileage for the electric cars. Nissan, however, announced last week that its all-electric vehicle, the Leaf, which comes out in late 2010, would get 367 m.p.g., using the same E.P.A. standards.

Figures for highway driving and combined city and highway use have not been completed for the Volt, but G.M.’s chief executive, Fritz Henderson, told reporters and analysts at a briefing that the car is expected to get more than 100 miles a gallon in combined city and highway driving.

“Our Chevrolet Volt extended range electric vehicle will achieve unprecedented fuel economy,” Mr. Henderson said. “I’m confident that we will be in triple digits.”

The Volt can travel up to 40 miles on a single battery charge, at which point a small gasoline engine kicks in and powers the car and simultaneously recharges the battery. The battery can be charged in eight hours, at an off-peak cost of about 40 cents, Mr. Henderson said.

Nearly 8 of 10 Americans commute fewer than 40 miles a day, the company said in a statement, citing Department of Transportation data. The mileage calculation for the Volt essentially assumes that most drivers would stay within that range and not need the gasoline engine.

Mr. Henderson said the Volt would be a critical part of G.M.’s product strategy. “Having a car that gets triple-digit fuel economy will be a game changer for us,” he said. The car will go into production late next year.

But whether the Volt can live up to its billing has been a matter of debate. Some industry analysts note that General Motors has a poor track record of introducing green technology to the market.

G.M. is trying to persuade consumers to return to its showrooms after filing for bankruptcy on June 1 and emerging as a reorganized company with fewer brands, models and dealers.

Mr. Henderson and other G.M. executives met with groups of consumers on Monday to hear their thoughts on the company’s product lineup.

“We need to communicate what we have,” Mr. Henderson said. “The only way we’re going to make G.M. great again is to win in the market.”

The Volt is expected to be both a so-called halo car to draw consumers to the Chevrolet brand, and a technological foundation for future electric models.

The company has built about 30 Volts so far and is testing them in various conditions.

Interest has been building in the Volt since it was introduced at auto shows in recent years. But with G.M. now 60 percent government-owned, the car has become a symbol of the company’s rebirth after its 40-day trip through bankruptcy.

Mr. Henderson said most of G.M.’s new products would be either passenger cars or fuel-efficient crossover vehicles. While the company will still build trucks and large sport utilities, the bulk of its investments will go toward smaller vehicles.

“I think the fundamental premise of planning for higher fuel prices is the right premise,” he said.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
molson
General Manager

They just need to get the $40k pricetag down.

And then once that happens, where are we going to get all of the electricity to charge these cars? Coal?

It's a start though.

Last edited by molson : 08-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I hope a bunch of people buy these cars so I can buy gas for my car for cheap when demand drops.

It's ridiculous that the auto industry dragged their feet this long. This could have been done several years ago.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-11-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's ridiculous that the auto industry dragged their feet this long. This could have been done several years ago.

+1

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

I'll be pretty excited if they can get the price on this thing down to Honda Fit-level.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wasn't this the car that couldn't go up a hill in some test last year? I hope that's fixed.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And then once that happens, where are we going to get all of the electricity to charge these cars? Coal?

Even if we use oil in power plants, it burns much more efficiently there, even including the transmission loss, than anything a car internal combustion engine can do. So that same barrel of oil would go much further and that assumes your local electricity is locked into oil.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I'll be pretty excited if they can get the price on this thing down to Honda Fit-level.

I'd be more pumped if they got it down to a Wii Fit level. That's probably what it would take for me to drive a girly car like that.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

P.S. I drive a hybrid.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've always wondered that if they use diesel engines to power generators to run electric trains at very high efficiency levels, why hasn't that been scaled down to have a fully electric car that doesn't have to be plugged into the grid? Is the stop and start nature of car driving as opposed to the hours on end travel of the trains? The cars mentioned in the article do use some fuel based electric generation, but you'd think they would have figured out how to do it 100% without having to be plugged in at some point.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

The roads should be electrified.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Even if we use oil in power plants, it burns much more efficiently there, even including the transmission loss, than anything a car internal combustion engine can do. So that same barrel of oil would go much further and that assumes your local electricity is locked into oil.

SI

I wonder how much more people would drive if they didn't have to pay gas though, especially if there were public sources of the electricity.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The roads should be electrified.

I thought for a long time that was the next logical step (think the road system in the Will Smith 'I, Robot') where not only is the grid electrified and powered but also can drive itself so all that time is not wasted. It wouldn't be 100% electrical- just major streets (think highways and then the next phase would be anything with a stoplight)- and once you went "off the grid", you would go via battery.

That said, without superconductors- you lose a sizable amount of power on transmission and those lines are basically giant power lines with large resistances. Plus, I'm not sure how we'd ever afford to do this sort of works project. I still to this day don't understand how we afforded the interstate system and this would be just as big, if not bigger. If we really had gone into a second great depression rather than just skimming the surface, it'd be one heck of a good public works project.

SI

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder how much more people would drive if they didn't have to pay gas though, especially if there were public sources of the electricity.

You'd still have to pay for electricity, tho, from the local utilities. It's not free. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

SI

Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I thought for a long time that was the next logical step (think the road system in the Will Smith 'I, Robot') where not only is the grid electrified and powered but also can drive itself so all that time is not wasted. It wouldn't be 100% electrical- just major streets (think highways and then the next phase would be anything with a stoplight)- and once you went "off the grid", you would go via battery.

That said, without superconductors- you lose a sizable amount of power on transmission and those lines are basically giant power lines with large resistances. Plus, I'm not sure how we'd ever afford to do this sort of works project. I still to this day don't understand how we afforded the interstate system and this would be just as big, if not bigger. If we really had gone into a second great depression rather than just skimming the surface, it'd be one heck of a good public works project.

SI

I have also thought of this too. I have been thinking that cars with systems that monitor traffic and systems where cars can talk to each other for merging and speed control similar to traffic avoidance systems in airplane would be doable. It would cut down on jams, and certainly enhance saftey.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I have also thought of this too. I have been thinking that cars with systems that monitor traffic and systems where cars can talk to each other for merging and speed control similar to traffic avoidance systems in airplane would be doable. It would cut down on jams, and certainly enhance saftey.

The 2010 Ford Taurus will come with a collision detection system that will slow you down as soon as you approach other vehicles or something. So I think we're getting there.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

We should've been at self-driving cars a long time ago!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
JS19
College Prospect

How long does one overnight charge last? Does it get you through the day?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The 2010 Ford Taurus will come with a collision detection system that will slow you down as soon as you approach other vehicles or something. So I think we're getting there.

Yeah, I was just reading this morning about the Prius that it does the same thing.

And it will parallel park for you all by itself. You don't turn the steering wheel or push the gas.

I had no idea that technology had been implemented in a car.

Last edited by KWhit : 08-11-2009 at 12:31 PM.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
How long does one overnight charge last? Does it get you through the day?

The article says it lasts 40 miles and then the engine kicks in and recharges after that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks interesting, but I'm waiting to see if it actually works as advertised.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote