Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
spleen1015
Coordinator

Fantasy Football Keeper League Rules

I run a league that is currently entertaining the idea of making the change to become a keeper league. I wanted to get opinions on rules. What do people like? What do people think are good ideas, etc. I have never been in a keeper league for fantasy football, but I have with fantasy baseball. So, I look at the situations as the same pretty much.

Here is what is floating around in my head.

Max 2 keepers each year
Keepers are essentially your 1st and 2nd round picks each year.
If you keep 1, you have a 2nd round pick to make. If you don't keep any, you have a 1st and 2nd round pick to make.
Draft order is determined by finishing position from the previous year. Right now, we use a random order every year since there aren't any keepers.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I run a league that is currently entertaining the idea of making the change to become a keeper league. I wanted to get opinions on rules. What do people like? What do people think are good ideas, etc. I have never been in a keeper league for fantasy football, but I have with fantasy baseball. So, I look at the situations as the same pretty much.

Here is what is floating around in my head.

Max 2 keepers each year
Keepers are essentially your 1st and 2nd round picks each year.
If you keep 1, you have a 2nd round pick to make. If you don't keep any, you have a 1st and 2nd round pick to make.
Draft order is determined by finishing position from the previous year. Right now, we use a random order every year since there aren't any keepers.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Sounds interesting. In the keeper league I am in you lose the draft pick that you selected your keeper. Example, it you keeper was selected by you in the 5th round thats the pick you loss in this draft. If you got him via FA you loss your last pick. Also, you can only keep a person for one season.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That sounds fine for a basic setup. Just keep in mind that allowing players to be kept indefinitely opens the door to great young players never bein available to draft (except their rookie years). Some people like that, some don't.

I'd recommend that instead of using reverse standings for determine dract order, have a consolation round for the non-playoff teams. It gives the bottom half of the league something to do during weeks 15 and 16, and discourages tanking for a top pick.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ghlight=keeper for a recent thread on this.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
Example, it you keeper was selected by you in the 5th round thats the pick you loss in this draft. If you got him via FA you loss your last pick.

I don't know much about keeper leagues but a possible twist on this struck me while reading. What if the cost escalates by one round each year that you keep him? For example, to keep your 5th round pick for a second season it costs you a 4th rounder this year, a 3rd rounder in two years, a 2nd rounder in three, etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's a more complicated (but still pretty simple once you get the hang of it) system my league uses.

At the initial 16-round draft, each player gets a point value based on their round. 16 points for round 1, down to 1 point for round 16. Any player picked up on waivers (drafted or undrafted) is a 10-point player. Trades have no bearing on value.

At the start of next year, each team can keep 30 points worth of players. That can be as many or as few as they want, but 30 is a hard cap and there's no way to trade for or otherwise acquire keeper points.

Each player kept goes up in value for 5 points for next year. Other than choosing keepers once a year, points have no other impact. Trades don't have to be balanced, etc.

After a few years you'll wind up with everything from some teams keeping four or five guys to others who have one 26-point stud and nothing else. And it's amazing how many times a team's ideal keeper mix will come out to exactly 31 points.

(Side note: It's important in any system to make sure waiver pickups have a decent value. Many of the best fantasy players will be waiver pickups and you don't want somebody dominating a league for years because they picked up that season's Clinton Portis.)

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote