Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

My Daughter Suffers a Concussion

My family went to Johnson Shut Ins State Park:

Johnson's Shut-ins State Park | Missouri State Parks

which is an outstanding park.
My daughter was climbing some rocks that are about 10 feet above this deep water hole. She slipped, hit her head and plunged about 8 feet into the water. I heard a guy say she hit her head. I didnt see it, but knew it was my daughter. luckily it didnt knock her out. But where she fell, the hole was probably 20 feet deep with an underwater cave with a good flow into it. It was very scary for about 30 seconds. She never went under. But it was bad.
We took her to the hospital, she has a concussion but the CAT scan was negative. The doctor told us to monitor her tonight and rouse her every 2-3 hours. I have been up all night doing this. Im trying to make it the last 30 minutes, then I will wake my wife and let her take over.
No problems all night. But a very scary situation all around.

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
chinaski
College Prospect

sorry to hear it Tarc, wishing her the best.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

That sucks, sorry to hear. You did the right thing though getting it checked out. Just having the piece of mind from the CAT scan is worth it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Thank god she didn't go under, you must have been in sheer panic for a bit. Wishing her a speedy recovery and glad she is doing well!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Scary shit indeed, very glad it has a happy ending.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Always scary when something happens to one's child. Glad to hear things are going well.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I hope her recovery continues to go well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hope she recovers quickly. Sounds scary.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Glad to hear she's ok... How old?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Wow, that had to be terrifying for you. Glad to hear she's going to be all right.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
tarcone
Coordinator

She is 9.

I stayed up all night without incident. My wife took over at 6 am. Riley, my daughter, woke at about 8 am and proceeded to throw up. She threw up twice and my wife called our peditrician, who told her to bring her in. On the way to the hospital, Riley threw up a couple more times and then again at the hospital, She is currently in the emergency room again being observed.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope everything turns out well. Crossing my fingers for her quick recovery.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Prayers for her, I hope she feels better soon.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

Ok, just got off the phone with my wife again.

Riley had a nuerological exam and aced it. No issues. She is eating now and acting more like herself. I imagine she will stay in the hospital until 5 pm tonight as thats when the 24 hours is up.

Its been a trying 18 hours. But it sounds like we have made a turn for the better.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good to hear she is okay. As someone who's had four concussions in the span of 15 months, it is not a fun feeling. Couldn't imagine being 9 and having one.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

What did she say about how she felt? I had a concussion at about 10 and tried to say I was fine, even though I saw double. (I left a nice big dent in the windshield of mom's Ventura when she rear-ended a big-ass Chrysler.)

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 08-08-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

She complained about not being able to see whne it 1st happened. That was why we went to the emergency room. That was in Pilot Knob, MO. A town of about 1000 people I guess. They did a good job with her and no one is there so she was the priority.
The whole puking thing really threw us for a loop this morning
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Glad everything's coming up ok in the exams! Head injuries can always be funny things in how people react with them. Hope she's feeling better soon and you can sleep easy again.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ok, just got off the phone with my wife again.

Riley had a nuerological exam and aced it. No issues. She is eating now and acting more like herself. I imagine she will stay in the hospital until 5 pm tonight as thats when the 24 hours is up.

Its been a trying 18 hours. But it sounds like we have made a turn for the better.

If she was my daughter and she vomited any more or deteriorated in any way, I'd be asking for a repeat CT scan of the head.

Good luck, I hope all goes well today.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
She complained about not being able to see whne it 1st happened. That was why we went to the emergency room. That was in Pilot Knob, MO. A town of about 1000 people I guess. They did a good job with her and no one is there so she was the priority.
The whole puking thing really threw us for a loop this morning

What was she doing when she was puking? After my last concussion I was out of school a week and when I went back and tried reading some stuff in class the entire room was spinning and I threw up. Just focusing on something was impossible.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What was she doing when she was puking? After my last concussion I was out of school a week and when I went back and tried reading some stuff in class the entire room was spinning and I threw up. Just focusing on something was impossible.

I lost the ability to read for about 24 hours after a concussion, it was a very surreal, confusing, and frustrating state to be in. I could see and identify the letters on their own, I just couldn't understand how they were supposed to go together. Also, I puked a lot.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hope she continues to improve!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

She is back home and looking and feeling much better. She has a slight headache, but is eating and everything else looks normal right now. We were instructed to watch her for the 24 hours again. So Im up again tonight watching over her.

Thanks for the kind words, stories and advice. I really appreciate it all.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
RainMaker
General Manager

Did they run another CAT scan on her when you went in?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #25
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
She is back home and looking and feeling much better. She has a slight headache, but is eating and everything else looks normal right now. We were instructed to watch her for the 24 hours again. So Im up again tonight watching over her.

You want to absolutely watch that headache, if it starts to get worse, get her in again.

The throwing up thing with concussions I think is pretty common. I whacked my head when I was in the 6th grade and that feeling was horrible, with the spinning, nausea and just wanting to sleep, but not being able to.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
tarcone
Coordinator

No to another CAT scan. When she aced the neuroligical tests , they felt it wasnt necessary.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #27
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Every concussion I have had but one had a lot of vomiting. The worst one I had I was feeling pretty bad for a couple of days. After that I was fine.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #28
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

We seem to have a lot of concussions around here. I think tarc's daughter will be fine. She'll probably spend countless hours with a text-sim football game, but she'll be fine.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Moved this comment to a new thread so as not to threadjack.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...94#post2091194

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 08-09-2009 at 06:23 AM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Echo the hopes it improves. Everytime I've had one I've felt spaced out/had trouble processing information (books, TV) and remembering it later for up to a week or so, but they've all worked out fine. She's your daughter, so you're gonna know her a lot better than any doctor she sees, so you might want to try talking with her about a show she's watching or a story she's reading to make sure her short-term memory and comprehension are normal.

Other than that, as a general rule I don't think applies here but figured I'd throw in anyways, the two things I've heard are bad are sleeping shortly after (you guys have that under control) and don't take any aspirins for the headache because if there's bleeding it acts as a blood thinner and exacerbates it. Overall though sounds like you guys have it under control and, while scary, she should be fine.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote