Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #51
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Ki-Jana Carter the first person who I think about when I think of a BUST.

Obviously he didn't do anything, but who knows without the ACL tear. See, as a Bengal fan, I can think of lots of busts: Carter, Wilkinson, Klingler, Smith, Pollack, the list goes on, and on.

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #52
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't consider Carter or Pollack busts, and Justin Smith wasn't a first round talent, but he was a tackling machine and played better than an average DE imo.

Carter looked good before he tore his knee up, and was bouncing back somewhat when he tore his rotator cuff the following year I believe. As for Pollack, the dude broke his neck. He was starting to show his potential when that occurred.

To me, the worst feeling in the world, which had to be close to what Buffalo fans felt about "wide right", was the gut wrenching pain of waiting 15 years for a return to the playoffs, watching a beautiful 60 yard bomb on the first pass of the game, getting excited beyond belief, then hearing Palmer was down.. Then hearing Henry was also down.. Then letting the reality slowly settle in as Pittsburgh eventually overtook us and went on.

The recent history in Cinci ranks among the most snakebitten periods in any teams history. I think overall though, they're top 3 at best. They seem to be bitten at the worst times. I even forgot about Tim Krumrie, Stanley Wilson, and the Joe Montana-John Taylor-Jerry Rice drive that ruined our best shot at a title in team history. Oh and Ickey Woods. That guy could have been a beast.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #53
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'll join in on the list of folks who think Cincy needs to be high on the list of incompetent and snakebitten franchises. They got both barrels full on they have.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #54
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would have to have the Bills at #1. Sure they had a nice run, but to lose all 4 of them including the Wide Right game in there is devastating.

Browns would be #2 for me if you consider the Ravens moving in the middle of the night and winning a championship 5 years later, the drive, the horror that was Belicheck and his subsequent success in NE, and what the franchise has done since coming back to Cleveland.

Bengals also definitely belong in that list. If you look at some of the injuries/off the field incidents (even if the off the field incidents are mostly their own fault) it's a pretty crazy list. Plus the fact that they make the Super Bowl and just run into one of the best teams ever and get completely destroyed.

I definitely don't think the Lions or Raiders belong on the list. Snakebitten does not equal incompetent in my book. I can't think of a really good reason to put the Saints there either, they were just horrible for a really long time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 AM   #55
RainMaker
General Manager

I agree with the Browns. I'd disagree with the Bills being so high. They weren't really snakebitten. They just went up against better teams every year in the Super Bowl. When I think of snakebitten, I think of teams that should have been much better than they were.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #56
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Bengals also definitely belong in that list. If you look at some of the injuries/off the field incidents (even if the off the field incidents are mostly their own fault) it's a pretty crazy list. Plus the fact that they make the Super Bowl and just run into one of the best teams ever and get completely destroyed.

The funny and shitty thing about both of their super bowl meetings with the 49ers is that they are the only team to have the Niners on the ropes in any super bowl, and they had chances to win both games. It was a dropped interception (SNAKE!) that would have ended super bowl 23 in the Bengals favor and in 81 they turned the ball over early (SNAKE!), which stopped them from succeeding there even though they outgained the Niners by quite a bit in the game. They held S.F. to less than 270 yards, I believe, and had over 350.

Either way, they gave the Niners hell in both games and no one else ever came close. Thats all we have as Bengal fans.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-30-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #57
RainMaker
General Manager

The Bengals have also just had a ton of shitty luck. The Ki-Jana injury, Carson injury. There has to be a few more in there too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #58
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Since Leaf's life has pretty much become a disaster, I think, in hindsight, that he should have just embraced the role as villian to the city of San Diego.

He could have spent his post-football life doing things like breaking into the San Diego Zoo and letting out animals. And just going through downtown and spitting in people's food at sidewalk cafes. Maybe pooping in the occassional yard.

Whenever the legislature met, he could vocally lobby to have funds taken away from San Diego.

During city fairs, he could be the guy in the dunking booth--I'm picturing a mutual thing here between him and the city. Almost like an anti-mascot or something.

Of course, he would have done all of this while wearing his Chargers uniform. Otherwise, it would not have been funny.

(Nothing against San Deigo personally. I've never been there. It just seems like a wasted opportunity to have gotten something out of Leaf.)

Wonderful post. I just finished the first sentence, and thought to myself, "This is just pure class"
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #59
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Let's not forget the 70s Bengals either when they could take on the rest of the league, but couldn't get past the Steelers inside the division.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #60
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd disagree with the Bills being so high. They weren't really snakebitten. They just went up against better teams every year in the Super Bowl. When I think of snakebitten, I think of teams that should have been much better than they were.

The Bills were pretty heavy favorites in their first Super Bowl appearance against the Giants. They had just beaten them in week 15. Phil Simms busted his foot and they were facing the backup, Jeff Hostetler.

Bills fans [and players, apparently] had every reason to be optimistic.

-------------
As a side note, what a coaching staff the G-men had. Parcells as HC, Bellyache as DC, and Tom Coughlin as WR coach. Man.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #61
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorium View Post
IMO, the Vikings are probably the best franchise in any sport never to win a title.

Completely agree and that is why they would be #1 on this list IMO.

1. Vikings
2. Bills
3. Rams
4. Browns
5. Chargers
6. Jets
7. Falcons
8. Bengals(not really snakebit just a horrid franchise)
9. Eagles
10. Chiefs

Saints and Lions dont make the list because they have been pathetic more than snakebitten. Bengals got the nod because of 2 Super Bowl losses and some key injuries in big games.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #62
NiteMaestro
High School JV

My list(s)?

Snakebitten (as in, can't catch a break)
1) Vikings - Generally seen as the best team to never win it all
2) Browns - How so? Just look at last year. They have the pieces, and then their no.1 receiver gets butterfingers, KW2 gets sick, and everything goes to hell. (IMO, Romeo should've had another year/chance)
3) Jaguars - They get close, but can't finish it off. Playing in the AFC South doesn't help, since the Titan's have had their no. for years...
4) Bengals - Arguably higher on this list, the injury bug seems to live in Cincinnati.
5) Falcons - They get close, but fall short. Aside from a cinderella season in '98 (or was it a lil earlier...? don't remember) But the whole Vick thing, the 'Dirty Bird's injury, and Petrino's mess... They make the cut.
6) Raiders - Why are they here? Well, despite their storied and illustrious history, one has to remember just how many 'famous plays' they were on the wrong side of... Case and point? The Immaculate Reception. Remember, Stabler had made a great scramble to take the lead only seconds beforehand. Oh, and the Tuck Rule? Maybe Al Davis was right about the NFL trying to 'do him in'...
7) Bills - Their struggles seem more like they just were one of the many great teams during their 'prime', and sadly, someone has to lose. Though as a Titans fan, I am somewhat biased... :P
8) Chiefs - I for one think that they're just a team that's struggling to get their identity back. A few wrong moves set them back, which is what puts them here.
9) Tampa Bay - I personally feel it's more ineptness than snakebites, but regardless, they have a sizable stock of anti-venom down there, no question.
10) Seattle - They can't pull the trigger. They have everything in place, but something always holds them back.

Inept/Just plain bad
1) Lions - Nuff said
2) Saints - Your ENTIRE draft for Williams? Just plain stupid.
3) Redskins - An ENTIRE draft, and you're not crushing EVERYONE for the next 3-4 years? Nuff said.
4) Rams - Moments of brilliance, but can't keep it together.
5) Tampa - You get rid of Dungy because....??
6) Cardinals - They suffer as much from bad moves as they do from not being in the spotlight. I mean, they did manage to snag Boldin and Fitzgerald... So 'something' is going right over there.
7) Cowboys - Team chemistry doesn't seem to register in Jones's mind, and it's been killing them for a loooong time.
8) Dolphins - Marino never getting a ring should not have happened. Period.
9) Chiefs - Maybe I'm not well versed on their history, but with Tony Gonzales on the roster, I felt they should have been able to do much better.
10) Chargers - There is too much talent on that roster for them not to be doing much better. I'm really doubting how 'great' Rivers is, and am questioning the wisdom in getting rid of Brees...

*disclaimer* - This is written by a fan of the game who's only been around for barely 20 years, lol, my scope on things is rather limited considering, so I may have missed things that would drastically alter this list since I just haven't been around long enough! :P
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #63
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I don't consider Carter or Pollack busts, and Justin Smith wasn't a first round talent, but he was a tackling machine and played better than an average DE imo.

Carter looked good before he tore his knee up, and was bouncing back somewhat when he tore his rotator cuff the following year I believe. As for Pollack, the dude broke his neck. He was starting to show his potential when that occurred.

To me, the worst feeling in the world, which had to be close to what Buffalo fans felt about "wide right", was the gut wrenching pain of waiting 15 years for a return to the playoffs, watching a beautiful 60 yard bomb on the first pass of the game, getting excited beyond belief, then hearing Palmer was down.. Then hearing Henry was also down.. Then letting the reality slowly settle in as Pittsburgh eventually overtook us and went on.

The recent history in Cinci ranks among the most snakebitten periods in any teams history. I think overall though, they're top 3 at best. They seem to be bitten at the worst times. I even forgot about Tim Krumrie, Stanley Wilson, and the Joe Montana-John Taylor-Jerry Rice drive that ruined our best shot at a title in team history. Oh and Ickey Woods. That guy could have been a beast.

Justin was ok, I was referring to Akili (yeah, most people forget a QB that was picked third overall, I believe, and played in like 10 career games).
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #64
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
just run into one of the best teams ever and get completely destroyed.

You obviously didn't watch those Super Bowls did you? Destroyed? We're the only teams that met SF in the Super Bowl and actually made it worth watching. Denver got DESTROYED, MIAMI got destroyed. losing by less than a TD is not getting destroyed.

Destroyed. Fah. Those two Bengals teams were better (at that time) talent wise than both of those 49er teams, they simply got out coached in both SB's.

Lets not get all exxagerating n shit here =) Destroyed....my ass.

Destroyed. Puh-lease.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #65
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The funny and shitty thing about both of their super bowl meetings with the 49ers is that they are the only team to have the Niners on the ropes in any super bowl, and they had chances to win both games. It was a dropped interception (SNAKE!) that would have ended super bowl 23 in the Bengals favor and in 81 they turned the ball over early (SNAKE!), which stopped them from succeeding there even though they outgained the Niners by quite a bit in the game. They held S.F. to less than 270 yards, I believe, and had over 350.

Either way, they gave the Niners hell in both games and no one else ever came close. Thats all we have as Bengal fans.

Don't forget the Krumrie self-inflicted broken leg and the Stanley Wilson cocaine arrest the night before the game.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #66
Bobble
College Prospect

Interesting discussion. Very difficult IMO to determine the line between unlucky and inept. This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
... I would define an inept franchise as one that is unable to make a good decision for the betterment of the team (see: Lions hiring Matt Millen, ruining Barry Sanders' career, Scott Mitchell trade, the ridiculous plethora of WR's they drafted, and the general management of the team by the owners)...
got me thinking.

For my money, you determine the inept v. unlucky by the generally accepted wisdom at the time the decision is made. I remember the hiring of Millen being touted by the media as a savvy move. Same thing with the hiring of Mariucci. Similarly with the drafting of WRs #2 pick Charles Rogers ("perfect fit for Detroit -- supremely talented local kid" and then the injuries) and #9 pick Mike Williams ("might have gone #1 if allowed to enter the draft the year before" but sitting out the year must have done something to him). So, you've drafted 2 busts at a postion you've determined that you NEED desperately. Should you avoid drafting that position just so you're not embarassed? They take Roy Williams, who worked out well enough, and still need WR to compliment him. The next freak of nature is available in can't miss Calvin Rogers. You take him (and, once he looks to be developing as planned) and trade away Roy for a good price. It's not like they were drafting Heyward-Bey or S-Michael Mitchell where the "experts" are baffled. The picks didn't work out but no one was shouting "reach" when they were taken.

I guess my point (if there is one) is that it's easy to use 20/20 hindsight to criticize. No doubt the Lions are terrible but it's not obvious to me whether it was complete ineptitude or a fair amount of bad luck putting them behind the 8-ball.
Bobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here's the NFL's "official" list based on the show:

10. Buffalo Bills
9. Kansas City Chiefs
8. New York Jets
7. Detroit Lions
6. New Orleans Saints
5. Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans
4. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Cincinnati Bengals
2. Minnesota Vikings
1. Cleveland Browns
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #68
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

What is killing the Lions right now is the fact that ONE of their first rounders from 1996 to 2008 has made the pro bowl (and he only went to the pro bowl once so far).

Edit: Just for comparision, my beloved Jets, who I scream at every draft day, has had eight since 1996 (13 pro bowl appearances by those 8 players).

Kyle Brady, 9th overall..... grrrrrrrrr

Last edited by fantom1979 : 08-01-2009 at 01:37 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #69
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm getting that FOF historical urge again, so what would be the best year and franchise to run for team in worst situation?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #70
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
What is killing the Lions right now is the fact that ONE of their first rounders from 1996 to 2008 has made the pro bowl (and he only went to the pro bowl once so far).

Edit: Just for comparision, my beloved Jets, who I scream at every draft day, has had eight since 1996 (13 pro bowl appearances by those 8 players).

Kyle Brady, 9th overall..... grrrrrrrrr

I believe the same is true for the Bengals(Palmer).
Old 08-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #71
NiteMaestro
High School JV

The Titans/Oilers at number 5??
I'm kinda surprised... though 'Luv Ya Blue' did run Campbell into the ground...

Iunno, I think we're consistent in the sense that we've been, "okay", and our bad years are few and (relatively) far in between...

But like I said, as a young fan, my understanding of NFL and Titan/Oiler history is relatively limited...
Old 08-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #72
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I don't get why the Titans and Chiefs were up there. The Saints were just bad.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #73
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm getting that FOF historical urge again, so what would be the best year and franchise to run for team in worst situation?

The Bengals starting in 1992.

The Lions starting in 1986.

The Saints, pick any year prior to about 85.

The Browns either right before or after their good run in the late 80s.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #74
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
The Bengals starting in 1992.

The Lions starting in 1986.

The Saints, pick any year prior to about 85.

The Browns either right before or after their good run in the late 80s.

Hmm. I have an AFC bias, so it might be nice to do an NFC team. OTOH, the Lions have been done a few times...

Oh heck, I'll go with the Bungles. Why not?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #75
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Hmm. I have an AFC bias, so it might be nice to do an NFC team. OTOH, the Lions have been done a few times...

Oh heck, I'll go with the Bungles. Why not?

Excellent choice...a "what if Paul Brown had a cloned son instead of Mike Brown" scenario.

I've always wanted to do one with the Colts starting with the move to Indy.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #76
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMaestro View Post
The Titans/Oilers at number 5??
I'm kinda surprised... though 'Luv Ya Blue' did run Campbell into the ground...

Iunno, I think we're consistent in the sense that we've been, "okay", and our bad years are few and (relatively) far in between...

But like I said, as a young fan, my understanding of NFL and Titan/Oiler history is relatively limited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I don't get why the Titans and Chiefs were up there. The Saints were just bad.

Being an Oilers/Titans fan since 1977 I can tell you they sure do belong unfortunately. I few highlights the two "Ice/Slush AFC Championship games against the Steelers in 78-79. The horrendous 6 years period from 81-86 where they won a total of 23 games. The AFC game where the Oilers were leading 35-3 at the half and blow the lead and loss 41-38 to Frank Reich
The Super Bowl against the Rams where they come up one yard short as time ran out to win the game. And even what just happened to McNair getting gunned is just another curse like thing.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #77
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Here's the NFL's "official" list based on the show:

10. Buffalo Bills
9. Kansas City Chiefs
8. New York Jets
7. Detroit Lions
6. New Orleans Saints
5. Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans
4. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Cincinnati Bengals
2. Minnesota Vikings
1. Cleveland Browns

Wow I was close 7 out of 10.
1. Detroit Lions
2. Cleveland Browns
3. New Orleans Saints
4. Buffalo
5. Houston Oilers/Titans
6. Minnesota Vikings
7. Atlanta Falcons
8. Philadelphia Eagles
9. Houston Texans
10.San Diego
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #78
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Being an Oilers/Titans fan since 1977 I can tell you they sure do belong unfortunately. I few highlights the two "Ice/Slush AFC Championship games against the Steelers in 78-79. The horrendous 6 years period from 81-86 where they won a total of 23 games. The AFC game where the Oilers were leading 35-3 at the half and blow the lead and loss 41-38 to Frank Reich
The Super Bowl against the Rams where they come up one yard short as time ran out to win the game. And even what just happened to McNair getting gunned is just another curse like thing.

Yeah, the Titans should be on the list just for the Reich comeback.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #79
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, the Titans should be on the list just for the Reich comeback.

Actually they were the Oilers.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #80
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
1. Browns. I think they have to be #1 because they were a once proud franchise with very die hard fans that just can't seem to put it all together. The Drive. The Fumble. Moving the Team. Tim Couch. It goes on and on.

2. Bills. Another team that enjoyed success years ago. 4 Super Bowl losses has to make you quite snake bitten and they get a bonus over the Vikes because they were in a row.

3. The Lions. Had success in the 90s, and are horrid now. Don't think they rate as high because their fan base isn't quite as rabid as the Browns.

4. Vikings. The Bills light. Super Bowl losses, the 98 playoff loss. Consistently a good team that can't get over the hump.

5. Saints. One of the few remaining teams to never have even been to a Super Bowl. Hurricane Katrina scores them some bonus points.

6. Bengals. This team has been bad ever since Paul Brown passes away. In 2005, their one moment of hope, was dashed when Palmer's knee blew up. So goes life as a Bengal fan. I wouldn't be surprised if they were higher, especially if they factor in Greg Cook.

7. Cardinals. More hopeless than snake bitten.

8. Chiefs. Another of the once proud franchises. Since then, it's been several high playoff seeds gone to waste.

9. Eagles. Rabid fans always seeing talented teams come up short.

10. Jets. Always living in the Giants shadow and can never seem to do enough to get out of it.

Wow, 9 out of 10, not too bad. Totally missed the Oilers/Titans. Can't believe I forgot that playoff game collapse.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #81
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just like to point out, even had they scored that TD against the Rams, it would have only tied the game, unless they went for two.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #82
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Just like to point out, even had they scored that TD against the Rams, it would have only tied the game, unless they went for two.

Semantics.....Not that it matters now of course but Fisher had said if they scored the TD he would have gone for two.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #83
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
3. Cincinnati Bengals
2. Minnesota Vikings
1. Cleveland Browns

The two Ohio teams in the top 3. Sadly, that sounds just about right. Though I would argue that the Browns/Bengals should be flopped... I mean, the Browns dominated at times in the pre-Super Bowl era. The Bengals have been set up for success any number of times... and it just has never worked out.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #84
remper
Mascot

Quote:

Good to see some other Bengals fans on the board. Seeing the rematch Super Bowl against San Fran made me a fan as a youngster. Too bad its been all down hill since. I started watching that Pittsburgh game (and that first play) in 2005 with such anticipation and joy only watch in horror as they replayed Palmer's knee get buckled. (*puts on foil hat*) I still think it was a dirty play. (/hat) But it may be because I was so disappointed to see the Bengals first chance of real success in such a long time come crashing down so quickly.

Easily top 3 of the most snake bit AND incompetent franchises since 1992.

Off topic: If the Bengals ever change their helmet design I will immediately disown them.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #85
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

No doubt - the Saints are #1 here. Note that this is not the 10 worst franchises ever - it is the 10 most snake-bitten franchises. If it were the worst, I would put Detroit as #1.

Case in point, even when the Saints have had success, they were snake-bitten.

Here's an example:

In 1987, The Saints had their first winning season EVER - had a 12-3 record during the strike shortened season, good enough for the SECOND BEST RECORD IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE (Winning their last 9 games!!!) - and they still didn't win the division! - The damn 49ers had the best record in the league at 13-2.

This put the Saints in the wildcard against a tough Minnesota team, and got blown out - Minnesota actually upset the Niners the next week in the playoffs.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)

Last edited by ShaneTheMaster : 08-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #86
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster View Post
No doubt - the Saints are #1 here. Note that this is not the 10 worst franchises ever - it is the 10 most snake-bitten franchises. If it were the worst, I would put Detroit as #1.

Case in point, even when the Saints have had success, they were snake-bitten.

Here's an example:

In 1987, The Saints had their first winning season EVER - had a 12-3 record during the strike shortened season, good enough for the SECOND BEST RECORD IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE (Winning their last 9 games!!!) - and they still didn't win the division! - The damn 49ers had the best record in the league at 13-2.

This put the Saints in the wildcard against a tough Minnesota team, and got blown out - Minnesota actually upset the Niners the next week in the playoffs.

Perhaps the division was overrated that year I actually remember that well as Anthony Carter went crazy them two games and they should have beaten the Redskins the following week if only Darrin Nelson could catch. The Vikings went 0-3 in the replacement weeks so they really were a bad matchup for the Saints that year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #87
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The two Ohio teams in the top 3. Sadly, that sounds just about right. Though I would argue that the Browns/Bengals should be flopped... I mean, the Browns dominated at times in the pre-Super Bowl era. The Bengals have been set up for success any number of times... and it just has never worked out.

You have to remember that any of the Bengals success in the 70's and 80's was a slap in the face to Browns fans who would have had Paul Brown running the team is Modell hadn't been such a jackass and fired him.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #88
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:

Oh, you're right... I forgot about that 35-3 collapse...
That makes this HOF game that much more meaningful....

Actually, I'm starting to think the Titans/Oilers and Bills prolly have an old rivalry that's just waiting for something to happen to stir it up again...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #89
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMaestro View Post
Oh, you're right... I forgot about that 35-3 collapse...
That makes this HOF game that much more meaningful....

Actually, I'm starting to think the Titans/Oilers and Bills prolly have an old rivalry that's just waiting for something to happen to stir it up again...

Yeah, but doesn't the Music City Miracle pretty much make up for the 35-3 collapse?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #90
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yeah, but doesn't the Music City Miracle pretty much make up for the 35-3 collapse?

Yes and no...
It makes up, in the sense that we both horribly failed/spectacularly succeeded at the other's expense. However, just as the "Music City Miracle" is a defining moment for us, and will always irk bills fans, the "Collapse" is a defining moment for them, and will always irk us titans fans.

Think the Steelers & Raiders, and the "Immaculate (D/R)eception" Neither team will ever forget, and the Raiders still hate the Steelers with a passion, alot of it stemming from that one play.