Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

Family Vacation Help

Alright, so we are leaving next Sunday for Ft. Worth. We will be driving from our home, making it in three days, and coming back in two. We are looking for reasonable family activities as well as bits of fun Americana.

Day One:

Independence KY (Cincinnati) to Mongomery Bell St Park just outside Nashville, Tn. Route Via I-71, I-65, and I-40.

Day Two:

Mont Bell St Park to Benton, AR just outside Little Rock. Via I-40 and I-30.

Day Three:

Benton, AR to Ft. Worth, TX all via I-30.

We have some activities planned in Ft Worth such as NRH2O and possibly Traders World and Six Flags.

Return Trip:

Leaving we are taking the same route back, but stopping at Meeman-Shelby Forest SP just north of Memphis. So just two days of driving.

If you guys have any must sees, or oddball stuff that fits in that would be great. I am just looking for more ideas, and recommendations than we might find in a travel books.

I have driven this before, but did it all in one day and didn't see anything. I am counting on the collective genius of FOFC for this, don't let me down.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Professor58
H.S. Freshman Team

What no rodeo? There is one in Ft Worth hxxp://www.cowtowncoliseum.com/tickets.asp Went when my kids were 8 and 10.

OOTP: AFBL : Ohio
OOTP: CBL : London
OOTP : NPBL : California
OOTP : WBA : Los Angeles

Last edited by Professor58 : 07-21-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Professor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cartman would say visit the Salt Lick Restaurant
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Lorena
Unregistered

If there's a Salt Lick up there, yes, most definitely.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nope, no Salt Lick up in Fort Worth. But there are still tons of things to do in the area.

How long are you planning to spend in Fort Worth? If you are looking for a water park as well as Six Flags, I'd look into a combo ticket for Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor. HH used to be a Wet n' Wild, until Six Flags bought them, and they are on either side of I-30 in Arlington. The Stockyards just north of town are always a big place for tourists to head. If you want to catch a minor league game, see if the Fort Worth Cats are in town. They have a really nice ballpark between downtown and the Stockyards.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
hhiipp
College Prospect

Completely irrelevant to your trip, but my family will be at the Cincy Zoo/Newport Aquarium Thursday and Friday. Staying in Wilder - think that's only 1 exit from the metropolis of Independance.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Visiting the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home) in Nashville is a pretty good tour, if you enjoy history.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright, so my dad has 10 acres and a pool and hot tub, so we don't need to do a lot there. We have been to the stockyards, and my dad has 5 horses, so I am sure that we will be heading that direction eventually.

We have done Joe T's, which I am sure we will do again. The Rodeo is a possibility. I like the Hermitage idea in Nashville. We are going to be in Ft Worth for 5 days, before we head back. I looked at HH, but for our kids ages, I think that NRH2O is going to be better.

Watched NL Vacation last night. Needed to before out big drive. Who doesn't want to see the "Second Largest Ball of Twine?"

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my family went to the Hermitage (without me) last summer. They said it was really cool. It's very well preserved and still has like all the original furniture and stuff (behind glass so you can't wreck it, but you can see it).

i'll check and see if they followed any of the rest of your route when they drove from boston-houston...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Depending on where your dad's place is, there might be some great food nearby.

In Fort Worth, near the hospital district, is a great new Mexican place: http://www.pacoandjohn.com/ They have awesome lunch tacos, and also now serve dinner, but their web site doesn't reflect this yet.

In, of all places, Haltom City, there is a great new sushi place if you like sushi. MochiKitchen is the website.

In Watauga, there is a hidden gem that was recently on that Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives show. It is a gourmet place inside of a Conoco gas station. Chef Point Cafe - 5 Star Fort Worth Restaurant - Watauga, TX

If you have kids, the Fort Worth Zoo is always a favorite spot, and there are several other family related places near by like the Log Cabin Village, Trinity Park, and the Botanical Gardens.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp View Post
Completely irrelevant to your trip, but my family will be at the Cincy Zoo/Newport Aquarium Thursday and Friday. Staying in Wilder - think that's only 1 exit from the metropolis of Independance.

We just renewed out Zoo passes. The Aquarium is a nice one off visit, but wears out quick. Love the Zoo though. And yeah, Wilder is just down the road from us. Have fun. We live about 5 mi. south of 275 off of either the SR 16 or SR 17 exit.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

We've done the Zoo and the Log Cabin Village. It has been a few years since we were there. The Ft Worth Zoo is really good. Anything within an hours' drive of the city?

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nope, no Salt Lick up in Fort Worth. But there are still tons of things to do in the area.

If you're looking for BBQ in Fort Worth I highly recommend Angelo's Welcome to Angelo's Barbecue, Fort Worth Texas
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that we are going to do Angelo's. In fact, they catered my dad's 60th birthday last year. I was looking for some good BBQ, and I know that they are only about 15 minutes from the house.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Anything within an hours' drive of the city?

There are tons of lakes, so plenty of options to choose from for boating/beach/etc.

About an hour southwest of town, in Glen Rose, is Fossil Rim Wildlife park. Welcome to Fossil Rim Wildlife

My nieces like going to the Cabela's north of Fort Worth, to see all of the stuffed animals and other displays they have. The Bass Pro Shop north of the airport is another place they like to go.

Over in Las Colinas the movie studio tour is pretty interesting. Not sure if they have them yet, but a tour of the new Cowboys stadium is something I'm looking forward to doing.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

10 days, 2300 miles on an 11 yr old minivan, and a total of 39 hours of driving, and we are back home again.

A great trip. Our kids were great, and everything went as planned. That has to be a first for a vacation this big.

The funny thing is that we had some that were laughing that we were driving when we can fly for free, but you know, this was the lowest stress, easy going vacation that I have ever had. Just something about tooling down the road, and being able to stop to eat, or sightsee along the way that was great. Especially considering the pain that we had to endure the weeks before we left. This trip was much needed.

Like Steam?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think pacing is important for a vacation- sometimes fast is good if you have to see a lot but sometimes slow is good, too, depending on who you're traveling with- and you nailed it

How old are your kids, btw?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How old are your kids, btw?

SI