Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Torchwood Returns tonight

Just a reminder for my fellow Torchwood fans that it returns to BBC America tonight in a 5 day miniseries. Kinda annoyed they are showing them five days in a row, would like it spread out more since it's not a regular season of the show. There's also two specials about Torchwood, one before the first part of the miniseries at 8 pm and one short one for 15 minutes (the first part of the miniseries runs till 10:15pm apparantly). The promos for it have looked real cool, so should be a good ride.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

well quite the two bombshells there at the end, pun intended. Don't want to be too spoily though in case people haven't watched it yet. Fun start to the ride with the creepy children, the nice tip of the hat to cast members past, looks into Jack and Ianto's family, the possibility of two new recruits to Torchwood, and of course the cliffhanger. It will be very interesting to see how they follow up on it.

Anybody else see it?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Bad-example
College Starter

Watched it. Really haven't enjoyed the show much since the first season. I guess last night was ok. Needs more Martha Jones.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

I actually miss the big titty Toshiko chick (my asian girl fetish rears it's ugly head again).
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Bad-example
College Starter

Is that 15 minutes of extra commercials really necessary?
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My wife has watched them, I haven't yet (have them on DVR) so I'm looking forward to them. Finally watched the Doctor Who Special too (the first one). I enjoyed it as well, but I remember watching the old shows as a kid. I like the Suntarans.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

Still enjoying it a lot, but first case of questionable writing to me if it took time regressed photos to finally clue Jack in as to what was happening and who the aliens are. I think you'd remember something like what he had to do back in 1965 despite the passing of years.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

well watched day 4 and sadly there was no good explanation for why it took so long for Jack to figure out who the aliens were. Sadly was disappointed again by the poor decision to have Jack and Ianto just run in and confront the aliens with basically no plan. And thus the result of that was very disappointing and needless.

Did have one strong scene in this episode, perhaps the strongest of the mini-series when the Prime Minister and his advisors got together and decided what their initial plan would be for selecting the "units" to be given to the aliens. That was very chilling.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Bad-example
College Starter

The good writing got less good each night. It was pretty cartoonish by the last installment.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

well the last episode was so-so. Didn't like that the "solution" took them less than an hour to figure out after Decker had been working on it since 1965 apparantly, but the scenes with his grandson being the sacrifice and how they used the children was good. Likewise Frobisher's choice when the Prime Minsiter told him what he needed to do with his daughters.

Not thrilled with the message that humanity is sliding into the pit, that we would have made that choice if we were in that situation. Don't like that Torchwood is apparantly done with at the end either.

Overall a thumbs up for me, but very close to a thumbs down. I hope somehow there's more Torchwood stories to tell in the future.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I hope somehow there's more Torchwood stories to tell in the future.

From wiki: Russell T Davies has said that although a fourth series is "ready to go", its airing is entirely dependent on the performance of the third series.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
From wiki: Russell T Davies has said that although a fourth series is "ready to go", its airing is entirely dependent on the performance of the third series.

Yeah I read that elsewhere after I posted. The ratings were good in Britain, and I think set a record for BBC America of 1.4 million for day 1. They are just waiting to see if the bigwigs given the greenlight for another series or not. Not sure where they go from that ending though.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-25-2009 at 08:44 PM.