Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Danny
Head Coach

Golfing, Sports and other tidbits

When I was a kid I golfed with my grandfather about a half dozen or so times and probably hit balls at the range another half dozen or so. I didn't play much obsiously (12 times or so hitting balls), but I had a I apparently had a pretty swing as a picture of me made the club newspaper. Anyway, today, I swung a golf club for the first time in 8-10 years. I expected to suck pretty bad, but surprisingly from the first hit on, my swing was natural like it was before and I hit the ball well. I ended up playing 9 holes and scored a 39 (all par 3 though, so 12 over par). My short game was bad, but that comes with practice. Overall, I am very pleasantly surprised and happy with how I was able to hit the ball and that I still had my natural swing. I had fun, so hopefully I can play occasionally (maybe once a month or two).

I really hate doing aerobic workouts unless it involves a sport, so I am trying to get involved in more sports since I enjoy that and am generally pretty good. I play tennis with my wife occasionally, so if I can add golf and hopefully something like basketball or softball (or both) that would be cool. My wife and I also are signing up for the YMCA, so hopefully I can get some more lifting in as well. So, nothing groundbreaking, but thought I would share as I can keep updates here as to my progress .

What sports do you guys usually participate in?

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Danny
Head Coach

I played again yesterday and shot 29 on the front nine (2 over par) and then a 36 on the back nine (9 over par) for a 65 total. I was hitting the green or close to it every hole up until the 12th, but then I got tired, started hooking the ball and struggled with my chipping.

I was really happy overall for only my second time playing, I played even par from holes 2-11
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You have no idea how much I despise you right now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-25-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I know what you mean. I once stopped whackin it for two days and when I got back in the game it was like I'd never left.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
I know what you mean. I once stopped whackin it for two days and when I got back in the game it was like I'd never left.

This quote could be taken in soooo many wrong directions.

I have never played golf on a real course, though I enjoy going to the driving range with one of my friends. Considering it's one of the few "sports" I can still play, I should really give it a go, but I have an aversion to sports typically reserved for "the rich," have had one ever since being told I couldn't play tennis on the a-team because I didn't have a private coach, even though I'd legitimately beat 2 girls who were on the a-squad (6-1 and 6-3).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
This quote could be taken in soooo many wrong directions.

I have never played golf on a real course, though I enjoy going to the driving range with one of my friends. Considering it's one of the few "sports" I can still play, I should really give it a go, but I have an aversion to sports typically reserved for "the rich," have had one ever since being told I couldn't play tennis on the a-team because I didn't have a private coach, even though I'd legitimately beat 2 girls who were on the a-squad (6-1 and 6-3).

/tk

Wow, I didn't realize there was even a right direction to take it! Apologies.

Last edited by mrsimperless : 07-25-2009 at 04:20 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Wow, I didn't realize there was even a right direction to take it! Apologies.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote